PDA

View Full Version : EFI to Diesel conversion.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Alitis007
8th August 2014, 06:36 PM
Just don't leave it in gear. LOL Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Haha theres a failsafe, they plug into the neutral switch of the gearbox and also the handbreak so you can't start it without them being in neutral or the handbreak on ( unless you know what i know hahahaa! )

Bloodyaussie
8th August 2014, 06:55 PM
I may be very interested in the alarm if things discussed earlier happen. .

I scored a battery tray today for a td42 and will pick it up in the morning.

I have gotten bloody sick and feel like shit.. hope it does not screw with the stuff I want to do tomorrow.

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2014, 07:57 PM
I am seriously thinking about buying a few of these and stashing 3 or 4 on each car. If they steal it they won't find all of them! No power needed. Cheap, no ongoing costs. Great thing

Buying what?

I am just going to wire in a permanent 5v and connect it to an old android smart phone hidden somewhere in the car. Use the android device manager to GPS track it and the best part is it costs me nothing

still cost you something as you will need a sim card to get reception. don't think you can get a prepaid sim for under 100 a year anymore so it's good value I think.

I will get something fitted to my next work car. I just want to remote start so it's warm when I get in over winter or cold over summer lol. gets bloody cold where I live haha

I am a D1ckhead, was busy all day in a meeting and forgot about this, i forgot to add the link!!

These could really change the World!!

The Tile App
(http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=CPC&mkwid=szW6eMfBn&pcrid=31364371734&pkw=tile%20app&pmt=p&pdv=c)

krbrooking
8th August 2014, 08:22 PM
Just don't leave it in gear. LOL Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I have seen a 85g supra jump into the back of an ML430 merc with a towbar, completely destroying the intercooler, bumper and bonnet because of that. Was quite funny as the sales man was showing off the customers car to another salesman before it got serviced. The damage to both cars was over 25g.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

lucus30
8th August 2014, 08:58 PM
I am a D1ckhead, was busy all day in a meeting and forgot about this, i forgot to add the link!!

These could really change the World!!

The Tile App
(http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=CPC&mkwid=szW6eMfBn&pcrid=31364371734&pkw=tile%20app&pmt=p&pdv=c)

I was actually presuming you were talking about the tiles ha ha

Bloodyaussie
8th August 2014, 09:03 PM
Why don't you lot go and discuss security on another thread.... nobs!!!!!!

Alitis007
8th August 2014, 09:11 PM
Why when this is a perfectly good thread right here!!

Clunk
8th August 2014, 09:14 PM
Why don't you lot go and discuss security on another thread.... nobs!!!!!!

Delete delete delete, probably not best to talk about what you're looking to get on a public forum either ;)

Bloodyaussie
8th August 2014, 09:25 PM
Delete delete delete, probably not best to talk about what you're looking to get on a public forum either ;)

Yes I h a d thought of that before...

George do you have something to do.

lucus30
8th August 2014, 09:35 PM
1st rule of security don't talk about security 2nd rule don't talk about security in BA's td42 thread

Clunk
8th August 2014, 09:37 PM
you know he hates it when folk hijack his threads!!!!!! :blowup:

Rossco
8th August 2014, 11:01 PM
I may be very interested in the alarm if things discussed earlier happen. .

I scored a battery tray today for a td42 and will pick it up in the morning.

I have gotten bloody sick and feel like shit.. hope it does not screw with the stuff I want to do tomorrow.

Why don't you just not install the motor then you wont need an alarm!!

I got that cold flu thingy, it's a pain in the butt :(
Poor little possum. . . sounds like you need cuddles

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 12:40 AM
Fark Rossco, you've quadrupled your post count in the last 3 weeks..... LMFAO

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bloodyaussie
9th August 2014, 12:41 PM
Well today has not gone as planned... sick as a dog and cant be effed with anything.

Started to pull out the wiring for the engine bay but just no motivation at all....... blah!!!

Picked up my ARB aux battery tray this morning but missing a couple of things and need to see another set up to work something out.

Winnie
9th August 2014, 01:21 PM
Does anybody around have a series two diesel? Mine is but is a long way away from you

MudRunnerTD
9th August 2014, 03:20 PM
Post a pic of the tray mate, what do you need to know

Bloodyaussie
9th August 2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks Drew for coming around... I appreciate it!!!!!!!!!

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 06:57 PM

Couple of pics I took of the engine bay of my prospective new wheels for you too......
Hope these are of some use. If you need better resolution I'll email them to you as well.

Bloodyaussie
9th August 2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks again Drew that is a great help mate.

Hey Darren you mentioned in your thread you have the battery out on the aux side... is the tray still in? I need a pic of the tray with no battery in there.

What aux battery tray do you have ?

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 07:26 PM
I did forget to ask about the bits for the battery tray......I'll speak to Peter next week about that.

I forgot to mention that because it's a late model TD42, the fuel filter is located on the drivers side.....I guess given you're doing a transplant, you could put it wherever you want though.....

MudRunnerTD
9th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Grab you a pic tomorrow mate. Yes tray is empty at the moment.

Bloodyaussie
9th August 2014, 08:20 PM
I did forget to ask about the bits for the battery tray......I'll speak to Peter next week about that.

I forgot to mention that because it's a late model TD42, the fuel filter is located on the drivers side.....I guess given you're doing a transplant, you could put it wherever you want though.....

I had planned to run the filter on that side I just need the bracket that holds it..
I keep forgetting to ask the wreckers.

Thanks Darren I would appreciate it.

MudRunnerTD
9th August 2014, 08:32 PM
Hey Jonny that bar work looks like sh1t mate!! What ya do with that?

Bloodyaussie
12th August 2014, 12:56 PM
My hands are killing me... so cold and trying to undo plugs that have not been a part for 20 years and its so cold... blah!!

I am about 75% into getting the loom out and thanks to some advice from a bloke I met 2 years ago on ebay I am figuring it out. .. did not even think about the fact my car is electric everything and it turns out the loom I bought from is also so its a straight swap.

The wiring i did took 10min to get out but the dodge wiring for the alarm is stuffing me about plus the factory loom is not easy

I have to thank Sean for dropping off an pre cleaner while I was out yesterday getting tests done.. brilliant a great help.

Time for a lunch break before getting back into it... speaking of backs mine is killing me!!!

Bloodyaussie
12th August 2014, 02:29 PM
Victory. .. the loom is out.

You should see the heater core and air system, it is disgusting.

krbrooking
12th August 2014, 02:52 PM
Far out I wonder what mine looks like. Good to see you are making progress.

P.S CHECK YOUR PHONE AND REPLY!!!!!!

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 08:32 AM
Can someone ...anyone tell me where the power steering lines run and if there is and where the cooler for it is..

I am not sure if I keep my cooler in or pull the whole lot out?

Oh and thanks Darren ya prick......

Family4x4
13th August 2014, 08:50 AM
I will have a look when I get back from kinder drop off.

Family4x4
13th August 2014, 10:07 AM
There is no cooler on mine, the lines run under the pulleys/behind radiator and loop back.

48264 48265 48266

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks again Sean that is a great help.... I wish I could help you with the stump!!!

I have to go to an air conditioning place to see about this cabin filter... Nissan list the whole box but not the filter?

So much cleaning to do now... amazing how disgusting these cars get.

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2014, 11:02 AM
Here you go chop, sorry I didn't get them earlier

There is no power steering cooler

The line runs across the chassis and back to itself.

The last pic shows the full system in its loop

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2014, 11:03 AM
I don't have my radiator or fan in at the moment so a very clear view

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 12:26 PM
Thank you Darren... about bloody time.

The battery tray pics do not help as I need to know where it is bolted down under the tray?

I will post a pic of my ARB tray and the holes but I think I maybe missing some hardware, ARB were not able to help.

Winnie
13th August 2014, 12:41 PM
I am sure I have fitting instructions from ARB on my computer at home Johnny... please remind me this arvo!!!

Chappy
13th August 2014, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, quick question.

Do I need to swap over the power steering pumps? My Series 2 EFI one has much longer lines than the one in the diesel, although the pump seems to be the same.

Obviously I'd need to swap the lines as they wouldn't bolt to the same spot on the motor, but does the actual pump need swapping?

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 02:37 PM
Pump is on the other side of the engine and is different... hard to find bit of kit.

Chappy
13th August 2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks BA. By the pump I meant the box that bolts onto the chassis. Do I need to swap that? Can I bolt my series 2 pump onto the diesel motor?

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks BA. By the pump I meant the box that bolts onto the chassis. Do I need to swap that? Can I bolt my series 2 pump onto the diesel motor?

That is a steering box... I am not sure what you are asking... if you have a pump on your td42 already yes that will work with the steering box but you need to use the td42 lines.

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2014, 04:45 PM

The steering box is the same. if anything you might have the larger series II box for the win. THe lines will make little difference given the pics above, There should be no need to even run the copper pipes as they appear to do little? maybe only dissipate heat?

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 04:48 PM
Well im confused.... I going to get a beer.

Rossco
13th August 2014, 06:05 PM
That does sound confusing, wise choice Jono.

The ARB tray has one bolt on the bottom which goes through the guard. There are a couple of packers inbetween to adjust the height, you could make some easy out of some plate.

I can get a photo from in the guard if you like.

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Rossco thats what I needed to know... mine does not line up with any threads I have on the wheel arch?

No issue for me to drill and run a nut to hold it but I wanted to make sure if it is only 3 bolts holding the tray in.. 2 that hold the overflow bottle and one on the bottom that bolts into wheel arch.

Is your one ARB??

Rossco
13th August 2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah mines an ARB.

Here's a pic of where the bolt goes thruogh the guard. A bit hard to see but should sit on the flat bit.

The top lip sits under the gurd between the inner and outer.

By the way the cars looking pretty bare, you have been busy!!

Bloodyaussie
13th August 2014, 07:22 PM
Awesome Rossco.... yeah trying to do what I can when I can... bloody sore right now with my back and hands hurt from pulling all those plugs..

I am so motivated to do more right now.... do I go outside in the cold and continue on or do I eat ice cream and watch Fast and Loud???

Chappy
13th August 2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah cool bananas guys, thanks for the help. I'm going to leave the series 2 steering box in and just swap over the power steering lines to the shorter diesel ones. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

Rossco
13th August 2014, 08:44 PM
Awesome Rossco.... yeah trying to do what I can when I can... bloody sore right now with my back and hands hurt from pulling all those plugs..

I am so motivated to do more right now.... do I go outside in the cold and continue on or do I eat ice cream and watch Fast and Loud???

Back in the shed Jono, no time for ice cream.

Maxhead
14th August 2014, 01:39 PM
Is it finished yet Jonno,?? C'mon mate, get your arse into gear! No time to waste

.....on the move

AB
14th August 2014, 03:15 PM
Bloody taking longer then my intercooler install...lol

Chappy
14th August 2014, 03:33 PM
I'm hoping that I can get my clutch release fork sorted tonight, then it's just dropping her in and wiring it up! I reckon I'll have mine done this weekend. BA isn't far behind me.

Bloodyaussie
14th August 2014, 08:57 PM
Today I managed 40min on the car after a day at the zoo with my boy..

I have ended up pulling all the heater and air conditioning out and replacing all the seals so the air goes where it should plus pulled all the factory sound deadening out as many of it was cracked and maybe responsible for many rattles I hear when driving..

I hope to get into it again on Saturday and try to get most of everything that is needed to be done ready for engine to go in... I'll just see how we go.

I think this dynamat is going to kill me but it has to be done.. I have never had the chance to get this sort of stuff done but having a daily driver has been brilliant.

Parksy
14th August 2014, 09:10 PM
That ceramic stuff on the firewall is a nightmare and does cause a lot of rattles and noises. If you dynamat it, chuck some high density foam over the top of it aswell, especially as you're chucking a td42 in.

Bloodyaussie
14th August 2014, 09:15 PM
What sort of foam.... not more stuff that costs shit tonnes of money.

Parksy
14th August 2014, 10:12 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-CARPET-UNDERFELT-SOUND-PROOFING-/161357093332?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2591a1d9d4

Bloodyaussie
15th August 2014, 08:26 PM
Even though I thought I would not I got some stuff done and sm now ready for dynamat and the loom.

Tomorrow I will get stuck in and try and get the car ready for George to do his bit..

Would be a great birthday present...he he.

Kevin is supposed to come round early in the week to help fit the loom but will try hard to have it done before then.

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2014, 10:10 AM
Oh having so much fun now.....

If I dont do this I would regret it. .

Winnie
16th August 2014, 10:25 AM
Far out... she's a bit sad mate! It will be all worth it.

matfew
16th August 2014, 10:42 AM
I was actually surprised by the nosie the TD can make.

BUT once turbo was on I reckon it made it a heap quieter. Was running stock manifold and exhaust before turbo but engine noise was high. Turbo helped get that done somehow.

I will be doing this to mine one day too. Wanna strip interior soon when I got money back in the patrol kitty n do the same. Run some of my cabling better too.

Yoour doing great BA. Its really coming along well.

Irish
16th August 2014, 10:58 AM
Oh having so much fun now.....

If I dont do this I would regret it. .

I see you're adding tinfoil to keep the CIA from reading your mind, good call.

Seriously though, where'd you pick that stuff up from, reckon I'll need to do mine, it's all cracked to the s&1thouse.

I'm spending the morning tidying the shed so I can actually work.

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2014, 11:24 AM
I see you're adding tinfoil to keep the CIA from reading your mind, good call.

Seriously though, where'd you pick that stuff up from, reckon I'll need to do mine, it's all cracked to the s&1thouse.

I'm spending the morning tidying the shed so I can actually work.

As soon as this other stuff I ordered on the interweb comes in I will compare and let you know Peter. ..

I have almost finished the front section and will take a pic then I will take a break and go do the shopping then get stuck into the loom... that will suck and is kind of a 2 person job.

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2014, 12:34 PM
Time for a break.... forgot I have to go to ab's so off I go....

happygu
16th August 2014, 01:22 PM
Time for a break.... forgot I have to go to ab's so off I go....

Lookin Good ..... fantastic job.... should be whisper quiet in the cab

For a bit of bling, you could order new carpet in the same colour too ..... ;)

Family4x4
16th August 2014, 01:51 PM
Its coming along, looking good.

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2014, 07:01 PM
So I went to pick up the parts from AB and stick my nose under his bonnet but he was in a hurry to run away to drink beer with his brother so I went across the road to see Rossco and got a good look at his rig and a gas bag for nearly an hour... it was a great help to see what was left to do and talk to someone who has actually done the conversion at home.

So after looking at Rossco's rig I know I still need a couple of small things but mostly I am on track and can just about fit up the engine.

I picked up a GU fuel filter bracket so I can mount my filter on the drivers side and the holes line up ... just needed to tweek the brake line a bit and it was an easy mod to do and saves on running lines across the firewall.

Tomorrow is family day so not much will be done but hope to get into it on Monday or Tuesday.. It's nice not rushing to get this done.

I have had Drew and Victoria and all the kids around late this afternoon and a few beers have been consumed so feeling a bit festive !!!!

Chappy
16th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Good work BA. I'm hoping to have my motor in tomorrow if I can get this bloody clutch release fork sorted... driving me nuts. Are all you lads local? I feel as though half this forum is in the northern suburbs!

mudski
16th August 2014, 10:11 PM
Give me a hoy and I'll throw in a set of hands with the wirirng. I got two jobs on Monday any should be finished by 1pm at the latest I reckon. If its gonna be tuesday lemme know and I'll see if I can reorganize my jobs around.

Family4x4
16th August 2014, 10:11 PM
Mainly just the feral members are from the northern burbs.

mudski
16th August 2014, 10:24 PM
Mainly just the feral members are from the northern burbs.

Lol your north of the northern suburbs so what does that make you?

Family4x4
16th August 2014, 10:48 PM
Extra feral!

skippy201284
17th August 2014, 10:41 AM
hey family is it legal to have the rear windows solid cause mien are solid on mien but i considering changing them back if they are but i am unsure about this it would be good to get some feedback cheers

matfew
18th August 2014, 07:32 AM
hey mate best you start your own thread your question has nothing at all to do with BA's engine swap.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 01:43 PM
Well some of the stuff I ordered from overseas was not even close to its description and I have opened a dispute with the seller.... a bit pissed off.

I got some other stuff localy and waiting for that to show up so I can finish the firewall and get the loom in...

Heading home now to get a bit more done but will soon be off again to do the kids run..

Family4x4
18th August 2014, 02:19 PM
That sucks!

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah just got home and am trying to sort it out now.... I am hoping the other stuff is at the post office when I go to pick the kids up as I feel like having a birthday beer and laying some insulation !!!!!!

krbrooking
18th August 2014, 02:50 PM
Man that sux, i hope they sort it out quick smart for ya.

Chappy
18th August 2014, 03:16 PM
That sucks mate. Which parts? I have a few bits and bobs laying around if I can help out at all.

Family4x4
18th August 2014, 03:33 PM
Yeah just got home and am trying to sort it out now.... I am hoping the other stuff is at the post office when I go to pick the kids up as I feel like having a birthday beer and laying some insulation !!!!!!

I enjoy laying on my birthday too.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 03:47 PM
That sucks mate. Which parts? I have a few bits and bobs laying around if I can help out at all.

All good mate I am only held up by one thing and that is the steel power steering line that runs along the front and loops back again.
The stuff in the post I am waiting on is the insulation plus I ordered all the hoses and belts and water pump on the weekend.

Sean.... you dick head !!!! Lol

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2014, 03:59 PM
All good mate I am only held up by one thing and that is the steel power steering line that runs along the front and loops back again.
The stuff in the post I am waiting on is the insulation plus I ordered all the hoses and belts and water pump on the weekend.

Sean.... you dick head !!!! Lol

Any Brake place will make that line up for you mate. Cheap as chips id recon.

What are you waiting on from Overseas that let you down mate?

Dynamat looks a treat mate. will that give the TD more power? I thought this thread was about the engine conversion? you should post that in Westy's Dynamat thread.

Hey while we are off topic........... Happy Birthday Chop! Get a Black one up ya!

mudski
18th August 2014, 04:08 PM
You need a hand with anything tomorrow mate?

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 04:13 PM
Not at this stage as I still have no insulation....

mudski
18th August 2014, 04:17 PM
Give me a ring then when you need help with the wiring, as I think you may need it with all the stuff you need to put back in. I'm no expert in wiring but the more hand the better.

Chappy
18th August 2014, 04:18 PM

If I had a spare one I'd give it to you but I pinched the diesel one for mine from my donor car. Hopefully it arrives soon for you. It's frustrating being held up by one simple thing. This stupid clutch release fork still has me stumped... that's the only thing stopping the motor being dropped in.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 04:19 PM
If I had a spare one I'd give it to you but I pinched the diesel one for mine from my donor car. Hopefully it arrives soon for you. It's frustrating being held up by one simple thing. This stupid clutch release fork still has me stumped... that's the only thing stopping the motor being dropped in.

I dont understand what you mean by the clutch release fork????

Is there a difference ?

Chappy
18th August 2014, 04:28 PM
It has a circlip that goes around the bearing and a spring clip that attaches to the fork itself. They need to be paired together. It has to be taken off to swap the bellhousings. It's an absolute prick of a thing to put back together as it's extremely fiddly and you can't really see what you're doing.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 04:46 PM
Strange I have never had a problem putting this on... are you trying to fit it with the engine and gearbox in????

Chappy
18th August 2014, 04:50 PM
Nope... Just the gearbox. No engine to get in the way. My big sausage fingers make fiddly stuff like this hard.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 04:52 PM
Nope... Just the gearbox. No engine to get in the way. My big sausage fingers make fiddly stuff like this hard.

Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!

If it drives you completely mad yell out !!!

I'll drag George around with me for a sticky beak.

Chappy
18th August 2014, 05:36 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!

If it drives you completely mad yell out !!!

I'll drag George around with me for a sticky beak.

Cheers for the offer, I'll keep you posted. I'll give it a go tonight and try not to involve my good mate Captain Morgan. He always seems to make things trickier after a while...

Winnie
18th August 2014, 05:51 PM
Cheers for the offer, I'll keep you posted. I'll give it a go tonight and try not to involve my good mate Captain Morgan. He always seems to make things trickier after a while...

I know the captain well and I don't think you could manage without his help.

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 06:20 PM
Funny I rang Patrolapart again today and every part I asked for they could not help me with....?

I rang Niss4x4 and got one of the parts I needed but they were rude and contradictory on the prices quoted over the phone as apposed to in person... what a shit industry.

The other part I asked them for they could not be arsed taking it off for less than $120 and to me it was a $20 part at best.

I have decided to use some of this insulation that arrived today so I can at least get the firewall sorted and in 40min got a lot in so once done its loom time... while I am out tomorrow I will see if I can sort this power steering line.

Then I can get the car back to George for him to do his stuff.

nissannewby
18th August 2014, 06:26 PM
Why not just run an external cooler? Saves you stuffing about and you could get some rubber line and a cooler for $30-40

Winnie
18th August 2014, 06:26 PM
Why do you keep ringing Patrolapart if you never get good service?

Bloodyaussie
18th August 2014, 06:29 PM
Why do you keep ringing Patrolapart if you never get good service?

Shut up thats why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Matty I was looking at it and I think I could use my efi cooler and make that work... I was staying out of the engine bay today so did not dig deep into working out what would work.

As its not on the pressure side it matters not that I use lots of hose?

nissannewby
18th August 2014, 06:32 PM

Yes Matty I was looking at it and I think I could use my efi cooler and make that work... I was staying out of the engine bay today so did not dig deep into working out what would work.

As its not on the pressure side it matters not that I use lots of hose?

No it doesnt matter although its better to keep hose to a minimum. A small aftermarket one mounted closer to the drivers side so then you can use about a metre of hose just to get out to the cooler. Just remember the more hose you use the more likely it can rub so tie it well or even use a sleeve on some sort.

Winnie
18th August 2014, 06:37 PM

Why don't you answer my phone calls?

Family4x4
18th August 2014, 09:36 PM
Try Readies, I can pick parts up from them and get them to you. I have always found them reasonable. Clint who will probably answer the phone owns the place and is more than helpful.

http://www.readies4x4.com.au/

mudski
18th August 2014, 09:38 PM
Why don't you answer my phone calls?

Yeah mine too!

Chappy
18th August 2014, 10:49 PM
Cannot for the life of me get this clutch fork back together... I can't believe this is what's stopping me from finishing the conversion. Just about ready to bin the whole lot.

Rossco
18th August 2014, 11:19 PM
Cannot for the life of me get this clutch fork back together... I can't believe this is what's stopping me from finishing the conversion. Just about ready to bin the whole lot.
From memory didn't seem to have any dramas with the clutch fork. It was a while ago tho and I did have a mate who knew what he was doing help.

Good luck, if not I bags the motor!!

Irish
18th August 2014, 11:44 PM
Also try Allied in Dandenong South, they have been great when I've used em, they're just off eastlink, or 10mins from my house.

MudRunnerTD
19th August 2014, 12:04 AM
Yeah you didn't answer my calls either Choppa!!

Nah I didn't call ya, I coulda, but I didn't! I'm like that.

Chappy
19th August 2014, 12:18 AM
Finally got that bloody fork. Turns out I'm just a fool and was trying to over complicate things. Motor should be dropped in tomorrow!

Bloodyaussie
19th August 2014, 05:05 PM
Yes I know I am going to get told off for not asking for help.... Today I was just hoping to get the insulation around the dash area in and a couple of other jobs and ended up installing the new loom..

It was not that hard to do (not as hard as taking out the old one) and most of the air conditioning and heating is in, just need to tidy the loom up then I can put the rest of the dash in.

Before I do that I want to work out what wiring I will need for all my lights and pumps and other add on electrics.

My back is so sore from leaning into the cab all day... all my hoses and belts and pump arrived today so should drop them off to George when I get a chance.

I need to do some more research as to where some of the loom goes under the bonnet (mainly around the battery).

Coopers time I think.. err just realised I am cooking dinner.. bugger !!!

Chappy
19th August 2014, 05:38 PM
If you want to come around and have a look how it all goes feel free. I have the TD donor car sitting in the back yard with the loom still all in place. Cheers for the PM also. Very handy info.

krbrooking
19th August 2014, 05:41 PM
YES YOU ARE IN HUGE TROUBLE JUST WAIT UNTILL I SEE YOU NEXT YOU BONE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!
No cuddles for you it's just going to be a good spanking. Mind you you might enjoy that more.

Family4x4
19th August 2014, 08:05 PM
At least it is in.

Chappy
20th August 2014, 12:44 AM
The struggle is real... this is so hard to do by yourself!

Bloodyaussie
20th August 2014, 07:42 AM
Let me know if you need a hand... I have done this a few times now and know whats involved mate..

Chappy
20th August 2014, 11:36 AM
I very well may do mate.. I'll keep trying today but I might give you a buzz if need be.

Chappy
20th August 2014, 05:23 PM
Motor and gearbox are bolted together, only I've just realized I have a broken engine mount! Do any of you guys have a 4 hole mount I can buy? A series 2 one.

Also, the 4 hole mounts get in the way of the intake pipe. Frustrating!

Bloodyaussie
20th August 2014, 05:31 PM
Think I have a new one in the garage??? or there are 2 down at Georges workshop that came with the engine I bought.

Chappy
20th August 2014, 06:09 PM
If you could have a look in your garage that would be awesome. I've got tomorrow off work also so I want to get it all sorted. If not it's off to Patrolapart in the morning haha.

Bloodyaussie
20th August 2014, 07:16 PM
George sent me a pic of the ones down at the workshop and they are 2 bolt ones and the one in my garage is a 4 bolt but have not found it as yet?? I bought mine from Repco.

Chappy
20th August 2014, 08:09 PM
Repco? I'll have a look tomorrow. Patrolapart want almost $100 for the genuine ones.

nissannewby
20th August 2014, 08:17 PM
Repco? I'll have a look tomorrow. Patrolapart want almost $100 for the genuine ones.

Genuine are far better than most aftermarket items. The superior mounts are getting good reviews but they are marketed towards the comp guys. In saying that there is no reason why you cant use them on a daily.

Winnie
20th August 2014, 08:47 PM
I have the Superior engine mounts. They are a bit noisier than standard when idling but when you are driving they make no difference.

Chappy
20th August 2014, 10:42 PM
I drive my rig maybe 10 times a year so I'm not too fussed.

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2014, 09:08 AM
Yesterday I made up a relay and fuse box for all the added wiring... the brain was working overtime for that one !!!

Every now and then I get waves of an overwhelming feeling that this is too much.... so many jobs to do.

If this was just a engine swap it would be a piece of piss but as I am doing the insulation and swapping out the electrics and doing my barwork (that one could have waited ).

I still need to figure out some stock wiring placement.. I need to find the diagram for it?

Will not get much done today but am hoping for a phone call for the barwork to be done and I can scoot out and pick it up, the guy I use charges me $150 to do bullbar and scrub bars.

Parksy
22nd August 2014, 11:29 AM
It sounds like you're doing it properly the first time round.

Chappy
22nd August 2014, 11:42 AM
Every now and then I get waves of an overwhelming feeling that this is too much.... so many jobs to do.

I still need to figure out some stock wiring placement.. I need to find the diagram for it?

I know the feeling! Here's a link to the electrical diagrams/harness layout.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3_juDO0BqRSMVQtMlNFaWVhQjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2014, 05:40 PM
Pissed off.... dont know how I missed it but it looks like I did not get the engine loom?

I still really need to look at another gq to work out a couple of things..

Chappy
22nd August 2014, 05:45 PM
Come around and have a look at mine mate. I've got a big night of working on mine planned and I have the complete diesel loom still in the donor car.

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2014, 05:52 PM
Come around and have a look at mine mate. I've got a big night of working on mine planned and I have the complete diesel loom still in the donor car.

Cheers mate... text me your details.

Family4x4
22nd August 2014, 06:41 PM
Try not to think about the job as a whole.....break it down into sections.

Chin up you will get there!

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2014, 06:50 PM
This engine harness has stuffed my big time....

Family4x4
22nd August 2014, 07:14 PM
Were you meant to get it with the motor

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2014, 08:41 PM
All sorted... I did have all of it but it was cut into 2 main parts with about 10 wires I will have to join back together, some of it was at the workshop and the other here mixed with the other loom so over looked it.

I tired....

Micheal I will give tonight a miss mate but if you are still at it tomorrow I will pop around and have a sticky beak ...cheers.

Chappy
22nd August 2014, 08:49 PM
All sorted... I did have all of it but it was cut into 2 main parts with about 10 wires I will have to join back together, some of it was at the workshop and the other here mixed with the other loom so over looked it.

I tired....

Micheal I will give tonight a miss mate but if you are still at it tomorrow I will pop around and have a sticky beak ...cheers.

All good mate. I'll be home after 5, shoot me a text if you want to have a look.

Bloodyaussie
23rd August 2014, 05:39 PM
Another long day with just wiring.... fwark I am over all this wiring.

I got to the point where I was running tests for the relay/fuse box I made and nothing was working and I was really getting the shits and after about 30min of stuffing about I noticed I had not connected the main power...

Yeah I know... it was at this point after a quick connection of the main power and a 2min test it is time to pack up and have a beer.

Its killing me but I know in the long run it will be worth it as I will now know where everything is and only running earths into the cab is cutting down the amount of wires I will run through the firewall.

I still have the stereo and tracker and usb socket plus a couple of small jobs that should take me longer than expected to do...

Once thats done I can install the dash and put the carpets in and seats... then its a few jobs in the engine bay... god my back hurts so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AB
23rd August 2014, 07:05 PM
As mentioned before mate, one step at a time, don't look at the project as a whole.

Hats off to you though, definitely going the whole hog with this...

krbrooking
23rd August 2014, 10:56 PM
Good on ya man it's comin along nicely, I would say let me know if ya need a hand but you never do so I won't bother this time.

Bloodyaussie
24th August 2014, 11:00 AM
Horrible night with Alexander being sick so I have decided to get back into it while juggling the little man..

Supposed to be family day but everyone is a zombie.

Just starting to put everything together and run all the conduit .... I can see an end to this wiring.

Ok back into....

Bloodyaussie
24th August 2014, 05:39 PM
Was going really good this morning then ran into some small issues that took longer than they should have... frustrating.

Most of the dash is in but a couple of things stopping me from completing it and one is the shock horror of my clock not working and second which I am not sure if it has anything to do with having not wired the engine bay yet but the dash lights are not working??

I want to drive my car...... not bloody work on it.

Rossco
24th August 2014, 10:35 PM
Gotta love wiring :(

Good luck Jono :)

Bloodyaussie
25th August 2014, 10:19 AM
Ok funny thing this morning... decided to chuck in my old cluster and still no illumination with lights turned on but when I plugged my td cluster back in the glow light came on for a bit and the indicator lights now work plus a couple of other lights???

Only the high beam light worked before...

Still no illumination though?

Also when I turn the ignition on there is no clock but when I turn the ignition off and turn of the headlights the clock works... was the wiring different, cant imagine why??

I have not slept for 2 days thanks to a very sick little boy and now I am sick so not the right conditions to be problem solving electrics.

The bar work is ready to be picked up today so thats a plus... interested to see how it turned out.

krbrooking
25th August 2014, 10:56 AM
Good news bout the bar work man, might help once you are feeling better and rested to try and work out the wiring, your brain might work better.

Chappy
25th August 2014, 11:29 AM
Doing well mate, you'll get there. A day of two off might be what you need. You'll burn yourself out working on it flat out. I took the day off yesterday and went wheeling with some mates, I'm more keen then ever to work on it again now.

Bloodyaussie
25th August 2014, 12:49 PM
Doing well mate, you'll get there. A day of two off might be what you need. You'll burn yourself out working on it flat out. I took the day off yesterday and went wheeling with some mates, I'm more keen then ever to work on it again now.

Not as simple as that as I only have a set amount of time in a week to work on the car and George wants the car before his old man gets back from Greece. ..

All the little jobs seem to take the longest.

Its all I bloody think about... lol

Chappy
25th August 2014, 01:38 PM
All the little jobs seem to take the longest.l

I've learned that one the hard way also. It's taken me 3x as long as I expected so far. Simple jobs like putting the interior back together.. 4.5 hours later I realized it wasn't such a simple job.

I'm up to fitting the vacuum/fuel lines currently. Then it's a case of trying to tidy up the loom to wire it in and the fun job of fitting the diesel tank.

If I can lend a hand with anything just shoot me a text. I understand how frustrating time constraints are.

Chappy
25th August 2014, 04:04 PM
Also, does anyone know the size of the TD42 starter motor bolts? Mine have gone walkabout. I rang Patrolapart but they didn't know.

Bloodyaussie
25th August 2014, 06:26 PM
So I could not stay away this arvo and I am glad I didn't ... so it seems the cluster lights only work when the dimmer switch is plugged in and as for the clock it was the wrong plug, I had plugged the aircon plug into it.

So the dash is in and I just need to put a little more insulation along the back and I can fit the carpet.

One thing pissing me off is I cant find the latch for the glove box so it will not stay shut... does anyone know where I put it?

In between all this I started putting coats of paint on my scrub bars.

We are getting there !!!!

mudnut
25th August 2014, 07:41 PM
Well done, BA. I have been watching this thread from the start. I don't think I would have the patience to do such a conversion.

Bloodyaussie
26th August 2014, 04:29 PM
Hard to concentrate when you are sick.

Can someone take a pic of under the black metal cover next to the battery please (TD42).

I did some more spray painting and tried to make sense of the electrics under the bonnet today, a few things I have no idea where they go and it seems there is a difference in looms as the series 2 loom I have does not match the engine harness but most of it I can figure out.

I would love to get a td42 here for an hour or so but that does not seem to be possible...lol

Clunk
26th August 2014, 06:36 PM
If you can wait for another hour or so when I've finished work I'll see if I can get a photo for you

Bloodyaussie
26th August 2014, 06:38 PM
AB just rang me and is taking some pics now thanks Adrian.. will see if its what I need?

AB
26th August 2014, 06:38 PM
Bit dirty...

Clunk
26th August 2014, 07:41 PM
Just finished now, looks like you're all sorted boyo

fracster
26th August 2014, 08:38 PM
Very impressive dedication going on here pal. As others have said, break the whole project into smaller ones mate, it does help I find.

Look forward to seeing the end result fella.

Bloodyaussie
26th August 2014, 09:16 PM
Those photos helped a great deal and thanks to Andy I figured out what my two mystery wires are.. the bloke I bought my harness off said I should have got it in with the deal so he will look tomorrow to find the missing relay for the glow plugs.

There is one major thing that is in its favour doing this sort of conversion yourself and that is learning so much, being a non diesel person all my life if I had just paid to have this done I would not have a clue as to how my car works.

When this is all finished I will do a proper right up but for now there is too much 2 steps forward and one back !!!

Chappy
30th August 2014, 09:43 AM
How's it coming along mate? Any updates?

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2014, 11:39 AM
Trying to get there.... After Alexander has been sick all week last night he came down with something new so I have not slept stuff all and this morning have mowed all the lawns and am expected to do the shopping..... blah!!

Now today I am hoping to get all the interior in and sort out the last of the engine bay stuff and tomorrow I hope to get all the barwork on... I just need to clear coat everything today.

My plan is to have the car on the truck to go back to Georges workshop on Monday... we will see?

Ok thats my little break over back to it.......

Winnie
30th August 2014, 12:50 PM
So really now you are sorting out all the wiring, does that just mean drop the engine in, plumb it up and you're done?
Will it be easier to work in the engine bay with the barwork off still and put that on last?

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2014, 05:50 PM
I am stuffed.... no sleep make Johnny a dull boy!!!

Ok so big step today with interior fitted and more paint work done... tried to get some more technical stuff done but my brain is fried so stuck with the monkey work but happy with what I managed considering.

Did manage a bit of wiring in the engine bay earlier on but kept getting distracted with other issues so thought best to leave it alone.

Still need to run lines for power steering but mostly have it figured out and run the vacuum lines.

Powered up all the electrics and everything that I can test is working.

Wish I knew where I put the latch for the glove box though?

See what I can get done tomorrow if I am allowed?? the boss may have other ideas.

Parksy
30th August 2014, 06:23 PM
I know that feeling Jono. My life at the moment consists of work, watching the kids then more work. Blah!

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2014, 07:31 PM
I forgot I spent a lot of time re working the horn mechanism so it is done properly and not just a bodge job and that took a good hour but very happy with the result.. sorry I have been slack with picks as I am just trying to get on with it.

I need to know if anyone with a td42 will be in easy reach of there car during the day for a quick pic if needed.. I will be in the engine bay tomorrow so just have a couple of issues with some of the wiring differences in the efi and TD electrics?

Have to sort out the snorkel size difference also... and one other thing I keep forgetting is all the breather lines will be replaced.. fricking hell.

AB
30th August 2014, 07:35 PM
I forgot I spent a lot of time re working the horn mechanism so it is done properly and not just a bodge job and that took a good hour but very happy with the result.. sorry I have been slack with picks as I am just trying to get on with it.

I need to know if anyone with a td42 will be in easy reach of there car during the day for a quick pic if needed.. I will be in the engine bay tomorrow so just have a couple of issues with some of the wiring differences in the efi and TD electrics?

Have to sort out the snorkel size difference also... and one other thing I keep forgetting is all the breather lines will be replaced.. fricking hell.

Home all day mate, call me...

nissannewby
31st August 2014, 01:01 AM
Home all day mate, call me...

House B!@$# :p

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2014, 07:40 AM
One would think with Andy staying at home all day being the House B!@$# the least he could do is drop the car around 2 your house for the day.

Disappointing, were has all the VIC love gone? *L*

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 09:51 AM
One would think with Andy staying at home all day being the House B!@$# the least he could do is drop the car around 2 your house for the day.

Disappointing, were has all the VIC love gone? *L*

I'm not actually loved... in fact they all hate me!!!!!!

So far I have had Drew supply me with cable ties and conduit (the conduit has been brilliant ) Gary helped out with a power steering pump for cheap, AB has picked up parts for me and helped over the phone, Sean has donated a pre cleaner which I really needed Mark supplied all the seals and rubber gearbox bits and cost price and of course George who has stripped out the engine and gearbox and plenty of other stuff to numerous to mention.
Ok back to it.......

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2014, 10:19 AM
I'm not actually loved... in fact they all hate me!!!!!!

So far I have had Drew supply me with cable ties and conduit (the conduit has been brilliant ) Gary helped out with a power steering pump for cheap, AB has picked up parts for me and helped over the phone, Sean has donated a pre cleaner which I really needed Mark supplied all the seals and rubber gearbox bits and cost price and of course George who has stripped out the engine and gearbox and plenty of other stuff to numerous to mention.
Ok back to it.......

Nuffin........

Rossco
31st August 2014, 12:21 PM
Sounds like things are mov'n along.

Im around most of the day, give us a buzz if you need a hand.

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 01:26 PM
All good mate... just at that pottering point..

Yes and Darren for the lovely coffee..lol !!!!!!!!

Daz gave me an airbox but I still needed another part between the airbox and pre cleaner so bidded on one last night that was mint and came with a K&N filter and got it for $20 and to top it off it was just down the road..

Also the bloke and his dad had the most mint pair of GQ utes and spent an hour chatting and checking out the vacuum lines and so on.... taking another break now to do stuff with the family.

When I get back I need to see if the bonnet will fit with a couple of mods I have done??

Alitis007
31st August 2014, 01:49 PM
I've got your bonnet cupcake, or do you have a spare ??

Alitis007
31st August 2014, 01:52 PM
Hey i need you to bring me some diesel to flush out your tank and also you going to run the diesel tank pick up or planning on running a low pressure high volume lift pump?? It might be worth your while to run one to help keep a constant flow to the injector pump

nissannewby
31st August 2014, 03:34 PM
Hey i need you to bring me some diesel to flush out your tank and also you going to run the diesel tank pick up or planning on running a low pressure high volume lift pump?? It might be worth your while to run one to help keep a constant flow to the injector pump

I would also suggest doing the lift pump if funds and time permit. It helps with the pump supply which can make a difference and also makes servicng easier :)

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 05:55 PM
Like this or do I just shut up and leave it to you George???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-volt-Universal-Electric-Diesel-Fuel-Lift-Pump-3-psi-/130521814861?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e63b4d74d&_uhb=1

nissannewby
31st August 2014, 05:59 PM
Carter 4600hp mate.

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 06:09 PM
Carter 4600hp mate.

Oh ok..... Just looked it up on ebay... this seem about right, there were plenty more for much more?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARTER-COMPETITION-SERIES-SILVER-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP100-GPH-6-8-PSI-FMP4600HP-/190845862780?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6f4cc37c&_uhb=1

nissannewby
31st August 2014, 06:12 PM
Yep one of those. Im pretty sure rocket sell them too

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 06:17 PM
Who is Rocket...?

I am so out of the loop.

Stropp
31st August 2014, 06:45 PM
Rocket industries in Sydney, performance parts

Winnie
31st August 2014, 07:04 PM
Who is Rocket...?

I am so out of the loop.

I can't believe you didn't know who rocket are!

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 07:08 PM
I can't believe you didn't know who rocket are!

And how are you helping Christopher? smart ass !!!!

So where does this doovalacky mount ?

Oh and I still dont know who rocket is

Alitis007
Who is Rocket...? I am so out of the loop.
They're VPW's competition.

I'll call my mate and see what he can do on the carter.

Is there any in tank pump that can be used with the EFI sender or does the pic up need to be braised on ???

Alitis007
And how are you helping Christopher? smart ass !!!! So where does this doovalacky mount ?
On the fuel line

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 07:17 PM
On the fuel line

I know that..... I mean does it get mounted under the bonnet or near the fuel tank or what?

nissannewby
31st August 2014, 07:55 PM
I know that..... I mean does it get mounted under the bonnet or near the fuel tank or what?

Where ever you like but closer to the tank the better. They do make a little bit of noise so make sure you rubber mount it.

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2014, 09:59 PM
Got the vacuum lunes done and put my spare bonnet on to check for clearances after fitting second battery and moving my fuel filter to the other side.. funny checking from under my bonnet as there is no engine in.
Have not taken pics of the interior since it was all installed.

Rossco
31st August 2014, 10:08 PM
Wow, looks a bit different - nice bar Ha Ha!! Battery tray looks good.

Looks like it's ready for the motor to go in . . . ?

matfew
1st September 2014, 06:03 AM
with the battery tray I had to move mine back about 30mm or so to fit the gu airbox when you go a turbo. what airbox are you running now? the gu is a straight fit other than the battery tray.

Sir Roofy
1st September 2014, 09:44 AM
Well done boy looks good hope it works for you this time

Bloodyaussie
1st September 2014, 06:01 PM
Had a little win today tracking down some parts and including factory power steering lines so it will all be stock..

Just watched my baby drive off yet again......48812

Bloodyaussie
4th September 2014, 05:20 PM
Keeping busy getting painting and metal work done...
Today I finished off my home built rear bar and prepared the bull bar with winch.. I really like the way I have got the light bar and no spotlights. . Much cleaner.

Now for those who dont know and before you knock my metal work I have never made anything from metal and is my first ever... and it has been tested on some serious rock steps.

nissannewby
4th September 2014, 05:30 PM
Thats what a grinder and paint are for mate :) looks good.

krbrooking
4th September 2014, 05:41 PM
Looks good man, I do like the light bar like that as well.

Winnie
4th September 2014, 05:47 PM
Looks good man, I do like the light bar like that as well.

Same. I want to get rid of my spot lights, maybe a small light bar would be better.
So what's left to do with the engine side of things? Just drop it in and plug it in?

Hodge
4th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Swung past earlier to say Hi! Place open, can smell fresh paint, but no GQ (I knew it was gone) or Jonothan. And no SMS reply...
BA hates me!

Winnie
4th September 2014, 06:33 PM
Swung past earlier to say Hi! Place open, can smell fresh paint, but no GQ (I knew it was gone) or Jonothan. And no SMS reply...
BA hates me!

He'll probably reply to your text in about 3 days

Alitis007
4th September 2014, 06:34 PM
Swung past earlier to say Hi! Place open, can smell fresh paint, but no GQ (I knew it was gone) or Jonothan. And no SMS reply... BA hates me!
No he replies when he wants something and blames his children like and good parent would! Hahahaaa

Bloodyaussie
4th September 2014, 11:37 PM
We have been at it for hours and have the gearbox in but things are up in the air over this engine .

The second round of compression tests showed much better results after valve clearances were adjusted but number 5..

It only managed 220psi... what to do now?

It gets old and the effing c that sold me this needs a brick... hope he is reading this the lying prick.

Still I am tired and a bit over it .. George wants to get the engine in before he calls it just yet but the way things have gone this year... far out!!!

krbrooking
5th September 2014, 12:41 AM
You are kidding me. Man my heart goes out to you. I really hope it is not the case and all is good once everything is in and running.

Rossco
5th September 2014, 07:18 AM
S#$t Jono, that really sux, that's the last you need. What's the min specified PSI? Guess George knows what he's doing so best trust his judgement, but that's not going to help with the state of mind (grrrrr!!).

Hope it works out alright mate.

AB
5th September 2014, 07:24 AM
Bugger mate, fingers firmly crossed it all works out for ya...

Maxhead
5th September 2014, 07:24 AM
Ohh crap Jonno, not good news mate!

Should the readings be in the 400's. I think all readings should be within 20% of each other as well.
Did you guys use a fresh battery for tests??
What results were the other cylinders?

Sir Roofy
5th September 2014, 08:27 AM
Feel for ya mate hope its just a hick cup

Hodge
5th September 2014, 08:30 AM
Far out mate. Here's hoping its just false readings or something.

Winnie
5th September 2014, 08:38 AM
All will come good mate I'm sure of it.

Bloodyaussie
5th September 2014, 08:40 AM
Thinking about selling all my guns????

George wants to do a leak down test and I have to go and find some fittings today so we can do this tonight.

Depending on the results George also wants to fit the engine and get it running..... I am tired and emotional right now and my back hurts so much so not sure I can make any good decisions at the moment.

Mark Bakker is a c@%t..............

Sir Roofy
5th September 2014, 09:01 AM
thinking about selling all my guns????

George wants to do a leak down test and i have to go and find some fittings today so we can do this tonight.

Depending on the results george also wants to fit the engine and get it running..... I am tired and emotional right now and my back hurts so much so not sure i can make any good decisions at the moment.

Mark bakker is a c@%t..............

dont do that -sell your guns- you will regret that decision down the track
it will work out for you

Bloodyaussie
5th September 2014, 09:14 AM
dont do that -sell your guns- you will regret that decision down the track
it will work out for you

Well I dont know as Mags wants me to sell up the 4wd (she is not being mean spirited just worried) and I have no real funds to draw on anymore.

Early days I guess as Mags I could only talk briefly and George has not given up yet although I could see it that he was now worried..

Why do I trust people.... it all my shitty luck started when I thought I was doing the right thing trying to help some low life scum bag.

Time for a coffee then its kids kids kids as I run around all day being "Dad's Taxi"

Alitis007
5th September 2014, 10:30 AM
That look i had on my face wasn't worried mate it was Tired !!! Hahaaa! Before we get ahead of ourselves lets get it to run and re asses it then coz apart from number 2cyl than only produced 220 - 240psi the other 5 made 360 - 380psi, so lets just see what happens yeah!?

Dales300exc
5th September 2014, 10:49 AM
Could be something as simple as a sticky ring from sitting. First fire up it may all come good.

Alitis007
5th September 2014, 01:09 PM
Could be something as simple as a sticky ring from sitting. First fire up it may all come good.
Thats what i was telling Jonathan so everyone cross your fingers haha.......

Sir Roofy
5th September 2014, 01:15 PM
could be something as simple as a sticky ring from sitting. First fire up it may all come good.

have to agree give it a run mate and see how it reads then

Sir Roofy
5th September 2014, 01:22 PM
well i dont know as mags wants me to sell up the 4wd (she is not being mean spirited just worried) and i have no real funds to draw on anymore.

Early days i guess as mags i could only talk briefly and george has not given up yet although i could see it that he was now worried..

Why do i trust people.... It all my shitty luck started when i thought i was doing the right thing trying to help some low life scum bag.

Time for a coffee then its kids kids kids as i run around all day being "dad's taxi"

enjoy the rest of the day and let george do his job
get theKIDS an ice cream and sit in park and relax

mudski
5th September 2014, 03:01 PM
Well I dont know as Mags wants me to sell up the 4wd (she is not being mean spirited just worried) and I have no real funds to draw on anymore.

Early days I guess as Mags I could only talk briefly and George has not given up yet although I could see it that he was now worried..

Why do I trust people.... it all my shitty luck started when I thought I was doing the right thing trying to help some low life scum bag.

Time for a coffee then its kids kids kids as I run around all day being "Dad's Taxi"

Feck that is no good mate. I have the same problem with trusting people. I always get burnt...
If you need engine parts, rings etc let me know. I have a good contact at Engines Australia...

mudski
5th September 2014, 05:03 PM

I just re read this. Don't sell Bruce! You can't! At worst I would cancel the reg, put him in the garage and keep driving the bluey and when you got the coin, do bit by bit. Besides you have a cool little Zook sitting there which could be your new weekend warrior. Be awesome in the summer with the roof off.

happygu
5th September 2014, 05:14 PM
Don't panic yet Jonathan,

It could be the result of a number of things, and even at those numbers ( even though they aren't ideal ) would probably run just fine too. George knows the drill, he will get it up running for a while, and then re-test

There are a lot of good people here to help too .... i'm sure it will be up and running in no time.

Try to focus on the positives, seeing how much you have learnt through all this, and how it will help you when you are in the middle of nowhere, or you come across someone stuck in the middle of nowhere

Family4x4
8th September 2014, 07:47 PM
I hope all is going well, any chance of an update?

Bloodyaussie
8th September 2014, 10:01 PM
Nope because my head is stuck in a bucket full of fish!!!!!

Bloodyaussie
11th September 2014, 11:14 PM
What if I told you guys "IT LIVES" ................. Fired up tonight and ran well indeed.

Got nervous about a couple of things but after George gave it a tickle it purred like oil burning kitten.

Now we have had a talk and decided not to rush trying to get it ready for the meet as there is still too much to do and I dont need to stress of rushing to get it ready and paranoid we missed something.

God it feels so strong compared to a petrol.

I can relax now and just enjoy this coming weekend with Winnies car !!!

Thanks again George I know I am hard work but then so are you ya control freak!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Family4x4
11th September 2014, 11:19 PM
I am happy for you, its great news and good to get a win. Its also great that you can relax this weekend.

Clunk
11th September 2014, 11:48 PM
Mate, that is bloody awesome........ where's the vids and photos cock???????

krbrooking
12th September 2014, 12:49 AM
Awesome news man.

Dales300exc
12th September 2014, 07:49 AM
See, nothing to worry about :). Stoked for you mate, certainly is a good feeling.

Hodge
12th September 2014, 07:51 AM
Awesome news mate. Happy for you!!

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

Winnie
12th September 2014, 08:03 AM
Woohoo! All your stressing for no reason!

Maxhead
12th September 2014, 08:05 AM
I wanna see this thing roarrrrr tomorrow mate...c'mon!

Sir Roofy
12th September 2014, 08:10 AM
Well told ya let george weave his spell and bobs your uncle
your just a worry wart

Winnie
12th September 2014, 08:12 AM
I wanna see this thing roarrrrr tomorrow mate...c'mon!

Bloody oath! And I said to Johnny that if his car is not ready that he can drive mine and I really don't want him to drive my car because he is such a terrible driver..... so I wanna hear it roar too.

Bloodyaussie
12th September 2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys but there is just far too much to do... this time round I have made sure (George has made sure) that it is all done properly... all the little things that do make a difference.

This is costing me a bit more in time and money as we have not just got a motor and slapped it in, we have replaced seals and bearings and gaskets for both the engine and gearbox.

All fuel lines have been replaced and electrics, the electrics were not totally necessary but made the job a lot more factory.. just a slight variant from the serious 2 loom I had which turns out was from a Maverick which should make that sooking Irishman happy and the loom that came with the engine but George drove down to Geelong to visit Darren and eyeball his wiring.

Still a fair bit of sorting as far as electrics go if I want all the functions to fully work including fuel warning and oil pressure and some aircon stuff..

Tomorrow I will be checking out all the TD42's as you would be surprised how many differences there are in all the models to help work out some of the above issues.

I have one video only of when it first fired up but was rough and there was a small knock (which was my fault) but on the second run it purred...

Now I need to do a shopping list for tomorrow and go and get the meat to feed all you bone heads..... thanks again guys I know some of you have been really wishing me well.

mudski
12th September 2014, 09:03 AM
Effing awesome news!

Chappy
12th September 2014, 09:47 AM
That's awesome mate! Really good to hear. Any pictures or videos? It took me a bit of fiddling to sort out the thermostat and oil gauges, should be easier for you I'd imagine as you swapped looms.

I spent $15 at the car wash getting ready for the hoist so I should be there around 7 tonight.

Bloodyaussie
12th September 2014, 02:06 PM
Spoke to George this morning and he did a cold start first thing to see how it performed and it started straight away.... I cant wait to start putting it together.

Woot woot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudski
12th September 2014, 02:23 PM
So what has made BA happy today? A working Td42. You make me jealous.

Winnie
12th September 2014, 02:31 PM
I sense an all nighter coming on tonight! Toot toot!

Parksy
12th September 2014, 03:03 PM
Excellent news! Can't wait to see your rig rolling under its own steam.

Rossco
12th September 2014, 03:47 PM
Good one Jono thats grouse news. At least you can enjoy the weekend worry free! ! Looks like the end is in sight, might have to organise a drive soon. .

Irish
12th September 2014, 07:31 PM
Well its about f%&king..... I mean Yaaaaaaay!!!!! So glad to hear its up and running, thought I was going to have to hide your shottie there for a minute.

Hopefully, this will mean farewell to the sh!t run of luck you've had this year.

Good news, I've been saving up all my used vegetable oil for you to run your car on.

I think we need to have a special forum banner with four simple words on it:

"In George We Trust"

AB
12th September 2014, 07:53 PM
"In George We Trust"

I might make up a little sticker of this and put it under ba's picture in the church...

Bloodyaussie
12th September 2014, 07:58 PM
Speaking of George AB he wants to know if you want your slab tomorrow... as I think he has it?

AB
12th September 2014, 08:28 PM
Speaking of George AB he wants to know if you want your slab tomorrow... as I think he has it?

I told him not to but if he's bought it then yeah no worries mate.

fracster
13th September 2014, 02:03 PM
Excellent news fella.

mudnut
13th September 2014, 11:40 PM
That is fantastic news, BA. I was hoping that the donk would come good when it got turned over. As MR says. Happy days, mate.

Chappy
18th September 2014, 08:39 AM
How's it coming along mate?

Alitis007
18th September 2014, 10:30 AM
It burns oil! Just ironing out some minor faults atm

Chappy
18th September 2014, 11:02 AM
How much oil? Hopefully it's easily sorted. I'll have to come check it out soon.

I have a bit of a diesel leak I'm trying to sort out. It runs down the block and drips, worse when it gets turned off. I think it's the back injector.

Alitis007
18th September 2014, 11:50 AM
Roughly about 12 -14 lt/100km :D

Yeah you were mean't to come past last friday, thanks for letting me know you weren't coming mate i didn't get ready for the weekends meet till 11pm....

Family4x4
18th September 2014, 12:04 PM
So its only weeping!

Bloodyaussie
18th September 2014, 12:13 PM

Yeah you were mean't to come past last friday, thanks for letting me know you weren't coming mate i didn't get ready for the weekends meet till 11pm....

Your in the dog house now Micheal. . Heard the expression about gift horses..lol

Chappy
18th September 2014, 01:56 PM

Apologies for that mate. I was hoping to of been there by 7 but I had someone show up at my house and I couldn't leave. I thought you gents were going to be there working on BA's car. I was about to leave at roughly 7.15 when I got BA's text. I feel like an ass and I do apologize...

Irish
20th September 2014, 07:50 AM
Apologies for that mate. I was hoping to of been there by 7 but I had someone show up at my house and I couldn't leave. I thought you gents were going to be there working on BA's car. I was about to leave at roughly 7.15 when I got BA's text. I feel like an ass and I do apologize...

Ironically, George will accept your apology if you feel his ass:clownredpuff:

Bloodyaussie
20th September 2014, 09:12 AM
Ironically, George will accept your apology if you feel his ass:clownredpuff:

You know Peter it is a bit early to be drunk already !!!

Its funny with these conversions if wanting to do certain things right... so far not including the seals Mudski got for me I am up for about $200 in gaskets and this engine takes 10.5lt of oil plus coolant.

I purchased the hoses online and the water pump (yes I bought a real one) and belts.

Got to still sell a few items to recoup building costs.... EFI harness is a big one and should help a lot plus a few other items that all help.

Here is a little Video... notice the catch can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0BAwMKxgvA&list=UUmqK0-SlGU8YG-ogcwfRYHQ

nissannewby
20th September 2014, 09:42 AM
Does that rattle disappear when its warm? Did you guys check the pump timing at all?

krbrooking
20th September 2014, 01:07 PM
Sound good man chuck some tires on and we can go for play when I get home from work. Lol

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2014, 09:42 AM
Ok the car is home and there is still so much to do but du to some other things budget is pretty much gone... pooh.

The injector pump is not set up right at all and needs some love... a mate of Georges who is a ships diesel mechanic liked the sound of the engine but said all the problems are with either the pump or the injectors.

It breaks down over 2000rpm and blows heaps of smoke

As there is no Matty here to share the love I am waiting on Rowan to ask a well know diesel mob here for a favour/advice ??/ not 100% sure on that as all I started to hear was blah blah blah while I thought about my wife leaving me!!

When I got home Mags was frosty and she stated that she has had about enough of cars and started on me about the house.... she is right.

So today I am not allowed near the car and have to go spray weeds and hang some pictures like a good little boy.

42 years old and everyone tells me what to do..... I should listen every now and then...LOL !!!!

Hodge
21st September 2014, 10:00 AM
Well at least shes home mate. It'll get sorted out, then we'll have to go to tallarook *hint* to stretch her legs.
I've got something for that new diesel of yours too. Left it at work, will drop it off tomorrow or tuesday!

Bloodyaussie
21st September 2014, 05:38 PM
Well at least shes home mate. It'll get sorted out, then we'll have to go to tallarook *hint* to stretch her legs.
I've got something for that new diesel of yours too. Left it at work, will drop it off tomorrow or tuesday!

Curious I am....

So today I managed to sneak off after doing many good things to make Mags happy.

I needed to move stuff around so had to chuck the roof rack on plus also the bullbar (nowhere near as nice as mine...he he) and sorted out some little things like battery tray clamps and stuff like that.

I will look into the running like shit over 2000rpm during the week and see where I stand with some other issues.

Mudski supplied me with a catch can so also need to fit that... the more I think the more I know there is so much more to do.

Oh and Matty that knock goes away after the engine warms up..

Bloodyaussie
23rd September 2014, 06:10 PM
Only managed to put the last of the air intake on after I pulled it all apart and got it all water tight.
Need to finish off the inner guard and then I can see how ab's bar lines up with my scrub bars.

Then fit the 33's... still have to wire up the lights on the rear bar and a couple of smaller jobs.

When I have some more time as nd money I will get it looked at by a diesel tuner and figure out the injector pump or injectors.

growler2058
23rd September 2014, 06:24 PM
You should upgrade to a GU with a LoKKa man. Snigger snigger