PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel carrier

Badball
16th July 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

Need some advise on a spare wheel carrier vs barn door wheel carrier. I'm doing a trip up to the Kimberly next year traveling through the middle. Is the barn door wheel carrier up to the task on corrigatoins era, I have 33in wheels, or do you think I need to go with the new bumper and wheel carrier?

Cheers
Brad

MudRunnerTD
16th July 2014, 11:01 AM
The GUIV have history for splitting the barn door at the base of the window due to the wheel weight hanging off it. Mine has not done this but plenty have. I have now fitted a rear bar and am very happy to have the weight off the door. Plenty of guys still travel with the wheel mounted there though.

If you travel North with the wheel on the door just make sure you air down to 22psi to 25psi when you hit the dirt, it will help ALLOT!

There are a few options for rear wheel carriers though and if you buy a rear bar then make sure it has a swing away mount of both sides regardless if you only fit 1 side at a time. having the option to buy a left side swing away with 3 jerrys or another spare wheel just for touring is a winner.

Have a look at RASLAR Engineering in Victoria for a great bar at a good price.

Stropp
16th July 2014, 01:04 PM
also if you are after a cheapy look at mcc, i have their bar with twin wheel carrier and haven't had problems although i did add a peice of angle from the mounting points forward so the angle stops it from sagging as a precautionary measure and i just got back from the meetup in the middle and did 8500 k all up and most of that was dirt road.

threedogs
16th July 2014, 01:53 PM
33" tyre is a lot of weight to carry on a door, I mounted mine internally but that suits my set up.
Out of all the ones out there I think the Raslar is the winner as it has an option where you open the door the tyre swings with it.
Now that's thinking and well priced as well, with great reverse lights as STD

Gavshe
20th July 2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks Threedogs and MudRunnerTD, sound advice

happygu
20th July 2014, 09:29 PM
Badball,

Mine is still on the rear door as it suited me better in my sales roles for work - opening and closing the back door all day long, and has been for the last four Patrols - and I have travelled extensively all over, and had no issues.

Having said that, my role has changed, and I would like to have a rear bar now, to get rid of the extra weight off the door....just think it is a good idea....

One of the things that annoy me the most with the spare wheel directly on the rear door, is the amount of dust build-up that you can only really dislodge by opening and closing the door, and every time you open and shut the door, the dust just flies straight into the cab. Having the spare wheel separate will alleviate the dust issue, as you only need to open it once - and you can shut it with all the doors closed so any dust just flies away.... :)

Mic

Davo65
24th July 2014, 12:15 AM
also if you are after a cheapy look at mcc, i have their bar with twin wheel carrier and haven't had problems although i did add a peice of angle from the mounting points forward so the angle stops it from sagging as a precautionary measure and i just got back from the meetup in the middle and did 8500 k all up and most of that was dirt road.

Who's mcc...???

megatexture
24th July 2014, 12:18 AM
http://www.mcc4x4.com

They are similar powerfull 4x4 rear bar

P4trol
24th July 2014, 12:44 PM
Can anyone put a figure on the extra weight of a 33 over a 31" tyre? I realise it will change per tyre brand/style.

threedogs
24th July 2014, 12:52 PM
A tyre rim combo could weigh as much as 45KG depending on what rim you use
that would be Maximum IMO in a 305 x 16" combo.

megatexture
24th July 2014, 06:33 PM
Can anyone put a figure on the extra weight of a 33 over a 31" tyre? I realise it will change per tyre brand/style.

Brands will differ also, my mickey mtz 285 on a 17" steel rim weigh approx 10kg more than my mates maxis bighorn in a 35"

89gqpatrol4x4
24th July 2014, 08:54 PM
This may not help but my 35 x 10.5 centerpede on steels weighs 40.8kg it is now on a rear bar!

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2014, 09:09 PM
I posted these pics in another thread the other day and thought I'd put them here too.

The Patrol rear door has potential to crack over corrugations and rough roads with a spare hanging off it. Much more common that we think damn it. This damage can occur with a factory wheel and tyre! Let alone a 35" muddie.

I have fitted a rear bar to my GUIV a dam pleased to have the weight off the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

mudski
24th July 2014, 09:56 PM
...and if it does crack, you can use this guide here to repair it...;)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28237-GU-Patrol-Barn-Door-crack-repair-guide

Davo65
26th July 2014, 11:27 PM
http://www.mcc4x4.com

They are similar powerfull 4x4 rear bar

Thanks Mega....appreciate it

Stropp
26th July 2014, 11:36 PM
Who's mcc...???

Davo if you want to check it out pm me I'm not far from you.