PDA

View Full Version : Legality question

twase
16th July 2014, 06:53 AM
To finish off my conversion I need to mount an air conditioning accumulator from a BA falcon in my GQ which has to directly connect to the evaporator. The problem is the accumulator needs to be recessed through the inner guard into the wheel well to fit. The question I have is there any legal reason I cannot cut a 100mm hole through the inner guard?

04OFF
16th July 2014, 07:06 AM
The fact your car did not come with airbags will be in your favour here, but have you not been consulting with a engineer before and along the way during your engine conversion ?

The engineer who will be approving the conversion would be the person to ask.

twase
16th July 2014, 07:47 AM
It does have drivers air bag now and seat belt pretensioners. The car is engineered for the conversion and that was in the ACT. I am now in Sydney but good point no reason I can't ask although I can't see it being a safety issue.

04OFF
16th July 2014, 08:38 AM
Generally when a car has airbags, you are not allowed to modify the body of a car (without approval), if it is deemed to effect the structure of the vehicle, this may effect the way the car crumples and so changes the frontal impact protection parameters.

I doubt a 100mm hole in the inner gaurd, on a car that has a full chassis, would effect this, but....officially, where airbags are concerned, that is not up to "us" to decide, so if you can, i would be talking to the person who engineered/passed the retro fitted airbag system.

Then you can confirm the exact way the airbag system is triggered, and perhaps get a letter to confirm the hole will not effect your ADR/69 approval.

Then you have something in writing to take to a local engineer/mechanic, and i doubt they would not pass it then.

Col.T
16th July 2014, 07:07 PM
G'day Twasey,
I like the foff man's first reply.
If an auto engineer has given the deal the O.K., all's good.
If the job may need him to sign off on the through wheel arch to finish, and you ask him and he does, all's good.
If you don't intend writing it off and claiming on insurance after a police inspection then let it all hang out, who gives a.....
One way, you'll always win, the other, it's all up for grabs, just like a lottery,
luck,
Col.

twase
16th July 2014, 08:27 PM
I have asked the question, waiting on a reply.

twase
17th July 2014, 09:13 AM
Engineer has said this will be fine recognizing the body sits on a full chassis.