PDA

View Full Version : Winch selection questions

93patrol
13th July 2014, 10:43 AM
Hey guys need some help as I am looking for a winch and want to know about a few things. I have decided on a Runva winch but the big question is

What size is best for me?
Is the 9500lb going to be enough to get a GQ out of a muddy hole?(not one of Mudrunners mud holes)
What is the general calculation for winch loads? Ie snatch straps are about 2.5 time the weight of your vehicle. (I heard). Is it the same for winches

I run a dual battery system both bats over 650 CCA but do I connect to the main starter or can I connect it to the auxiliary?( which has heavy duty connectors on it already.)

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers
Shane

paulyg
13th July 2014, 12:18 PM
One thing I learnt just recently, at the out door expo, not all bull bars and winch mounts are rated to take a winch over 9500 lbs.
I think 9500lbs should be plenty, use a snatch block to half the load on your winch if you need to.

MEGOMONSTER
13th July 2014, 02:23 PM
Great selection with the Runva, I went 12000lb for my GU and is wired to the main battery.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2014, 05:00 PM
Hey guys need some help as I am looking for a winch and want to know about a few things. I have decided on a Runva winch but the big question is

What size is best for me?
Is the 9500lb going to be enough to get a GQ out of a muddy hole?(not one of Mudrunners mud holes)

9.5 RUNVA would be what i would fit to a GQ if i did not want a HiMount.

What is the general calculation for winch loads? Ie snatch straps are about 2.5 time the weight of your vehicle. (I heard). Is it the same for winches

Have a look at this thread to answer this question and lots more mate!.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1984-Recovery-The-Fundamentals

I run a dual battery system both bats over 650 CCA but do I connect to the main starter or can I connect it to the auxiliary?( which has heavy duty connectors on it already.)

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers
Shane

Hook your winch up to the Cranking Battery and consider a cross over lead to link the 2 batteries with a selectable switch if your going to be doing a bit of winching. Consider a Snatch Block Early.

Family4x4
13th July 2014, 05:10 PM
I just bought a runva 11xp for my GQ $620 delivered.

I ordered from

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Runva-Win...d915f31&_uhb=1

User name: blue33gtst

I phoned him and negotiated the price: Mb 0404075314 Cool~Flo 4x4 Accessories

The winch itself was $593 + $27 freight

megatexture
13th July 2014, 06:07 PM
I've got a 9000lb tabor winch (made by warn) and it has single line pulled me out of some sticky situations.

93patrol
13th July 2014, 06:28 PM
thanks for all the feed back guys really appreciate it. I will be looking at it when I get the tax return back

looked at few on ebay and the like but because I live country WA some wont deliver down here and others want more than if I walked into a shop in Perth and brought one.

there's shop in Rockingham ( and hour away)that has the 11xp on sale for $650 so I figured that is good price and I get warranty through that shop if it goes pear shaped.

93patrol
13th July 2014, 06:29 PM
the shop doesn't have a website but is on facebook its S&K filter supplies and 4x4