PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

Dicko06
11th July 2014, 07:54 PM
Hi
Have just replaced slave cylinder, clutch hoses, and unfortunately an after market master cylinder, and then pressure bled.
All went well for a day or so then the clutch seemed to slip, but only for me.
Son checked it out worked alright for him, then we had a discovery. If the clutch pedal is depressed with force the clutch works alright, however if you just put your finger on the pedal and push a little the pedal will depress to the floor and will not return without pulling it back.
Only thing I can think of is the master cylinder is kaput or we are using the wrong clutch fluid, as we have found we were using dot 4 and not dot 3.

nissannewby
11th July 2014, 08:55 PM
I have had the same thing and turned out to be the master.

pearcey
11th July 2014, 10:01 PM
G`day Dicko
As nissannewby says it will be the master
There will be either damage the bore or the primary cup.
Don`t repair it unless with a re sleeved cyl, but new one`s are not that expensive
Honing the cyl is not a good idea as there is a coating on the bore to resist wear and scoring, removing this and the cly will fail prematurely

Col.T
16th July 2014, 07:30 PM
G'day Dicko,
too late probably to help I'm sorry but the boys above are right. Generally though, with hydraulic/oil systems there will be a drop in level in the top reservoir when there's a problem.
Look for the leak 'cause the fluid's got to be going somewhere and it will be down slave or up master which may even show up as oil on the pedal. That one sometimes takes a while for the oil to work it's way through the fire wall to show up.
Luck,
Col.