PDA

View Full Version : GQ Bonnet height adjusters Mod.

Robo
10th July 2014, 04:52 PM
Today I peeled a rubber pad off the bonnet adjusting bolt, this was a repair I had done about 5 yrs ago to remedy the worn part.
I was about to make a new pad to stick on again, guess it would be good for another 5 yrs or so.

I had the bit of new rubber in my hand ready to cut and sitting on the beach in front of me was a new rubber chair leg tip end.
Humm that may be even better Idea, ready made shape, round and would fit over the old bolt.
Lucky a perfect fit, (think about 3/4 id) fits over the old adjuster not just a pad on top to potentially slide off, or have to wait over night for the glue to dry.
I did need to trim the length so I could still access lock nut, and punch a hole in the top of it to allow screwdriver to adjust height.

You could simply set the height and lock the nut and slip rubber end over the bolt but I thought for the serious off roaders this may be a mud trap and ruin any further chances of repair and or adjustment

Being a chair leg end cap guess, its designed to wear well and cushion so seems perfect to me, and darn cheap a dollar or 2 for a set of 4.
cheers.

MudRunnerTD
10th July 2014, 04:56 PM
Yes they work well. I have had the chair leg ends on mine for years. I also have one fitted over the UHF end when I have removed the whip.

Robo
15th July 2014, 04:20 AM
Yes they work well. I have had the chair leg ends on mine for years. I also have one fitted over the UHF end when I have removed the whip.

Yeah I figured that it had already been done.
made sense to just pass it on.