PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Soupfor1au

soupfor1au
10th July 2014, 08:49 AM
Hello to all members. My name is Soup & I am a complete newbie to the 4wd community. I have very little mechanical aptitude and probably will add very little in the way of advice in the short term. I am a quick study however & guess within a decade I may to answer at least one 4wd related question. That being said I am a good carpenter so if anyone has a wooden Patruck I may be able to help sooner.
The main goal for my GU is to make it as economical as possible while increasing it's 4wd capabilities slightly. ( not quite ready to tackle mountains yet). It's basically stock except for ali front bar, IPF spotties, dash mat & RMW seatcovers.
I know as it's 10 yrs old things will start to go awry & I will take the opportunities to improve or upgrade if it makes sense.
Looking forward to joining in discussions.

Hardyards
10th July 2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Soup,
Welcome to the forum. You have a nice blank canvas, check out the build threads and watch your savings dwindle as you try to incorporate all the amazing ideas!
Being a good carpenter, at least you should have some awesome home built draws soon :p

AB
10th July 2014, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

threedogs
10th July 2014, 12:41 PM
Hi Soup you should travel with Cuppa sorry had to say it LOL 'Anyway
I have heaps of timber related questions you can answer, but in the
meanwhile jump in anytime and enjoy;
What motor does your GU have??

soupfor1au
10th July 2014, 02:07 PM
G'day threedogs.
3.0L diesel maunal transmission.
I noticed you have NADs + heaps of other cool sounding stuff on your Trol. Did the intercooler & 3" improve your economy at all?
I have been reading through a few of the threads and a bit confused if it's worth exploring any engine of breathing mods. I really want to maximise the economy of the old girl. At least for now.

Avo
10th July 2014, 02:09 PM
welcome Soup,lots of study here for you mate..if you get stuck just swing a question out and some one will be sure to help.

Bloodyaussie
10th July 2014, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard mate.................

Drewboyaus
10th July 2014, 02:50 PM
G'day soupy. Welcome aboard mate. Nice intro.....plenty of the clowns around this place don't know much either......including me! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

threedogs
10th July 2014, 05:07 PM
G'day threedogs.
3.0L diesel maunal transmission.
I noticed you have NADs + heaps of other cool sounding stuff on your Trol. Did the intercooler & 3" improve your economy at all?
I have been reading through a few of the threads and a bit confused if it's worth exploring any engine of breathing mods. I really want to maximise the economy of the old girl. At least for now.
Any mod to help the motor breathe has to be good, first fit guages so you can monitor whats going on.
If your IC is oily chances are its leaking . A few option there go bigger or tig up the OE.
I get 12-13/100k around town and towing return 14/100k. I have about 210,000 on the motor.
IMO don't go to far away from STD as the further you go the more can go wrong and will.
Highly recommend a chip and exhaust
Highly recommend doing the NADS first Gauges then do mods

Dhuck
10th July 2014, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

my third 256
11th July 2014, 04:34 AM
Welcome to the forum soup

soupfor1au
11th July 2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info Threedogs. I had no idea until joining this forum that the 3.0L engines had such a problem and I have been reading threads endlessly trying to figure it all out. This may be a really stupid question but if the MAF sensor getting gummed up with shit is the main cause of the problem, is there a simple way to just clean this regularly to prevent the problem occuring? My thoughts are that if it were that simple then everyone would just be doing that, but I thought it best to ask this question & thought maybe you all like the sexy guages so much that it becomes "necessary". After seeing some killer custom pod setups, I'm starting to think that the expense may well be justified.
My 3.0 has done 230k and I currently can get on a highway run about 10.5kms/L & 8.5-9kms/L around town.

Avo
11th July 2014, 10:45 AM
a lot of people are also using a Provent catchcan set up..it cleans the air that is recycled back to your motor for emission controls..there is a really good thread(I think it's Pauly doing NADS)heaps of reading but nearly every question you will want to ask I'm sure there will be an answer..I am not a expert as I am still reading seeing I have just bought a 3lt aswell.

Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
11th July 2014, 03:49 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Sherro
11th July 2014, 07:30 PM
G'day Soup welcome to the forum mate.

soupfor1au
11th July 2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Monster
I was thinking the other day before I joined, what was possible to spruce the existing seats which are a bit grud after a decade. I get on to see a post of your rig & I must say they are awesome.
I will immediately sell a kidney and find an Italian upholsterer!

Gecko17
11th July 2014, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Soup. Lots of great info to be found here not to mention some hard case characters. Enjoy.

growler2058
26th July 2014, 03:53 PM
Gday Soup welcome aboard mate