PDA

View Full Version : upsize fuel tank/s on a 2004 GU 3.0 wagon

soupfor1au
10th July 2014, 12:03 AM
Can anyone tell me if I can fit larger diesel tanks on my stock GU wagon.
Or even how to hook up additional tanks would be fine. Just after a few more km's.

MudRunnerTD
10th July 2014, 12:43 AM
Hi mate, please head over to the introduction section and post a Hello thread. We like folks to start with Gday.

Yes you can get a 70lt long range sub tank and a 147lt long range main tank giving you 217lts up from the factory 125lts in the twin tanks.

Head over to the intro section mate

MEGOMONSTER
10th July 2014, 06:00 AM
There are several manufacturers of long range fuel tanks and can be purchased from any 4wd shop, you'll probably even find some on eBay.
I have changed my sub tank to a 75lt Long Ranger (LRA) branded tank.
Brown Davis also make them.

soupfor1au
10th July 2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks Mudrunner.
Sorry for being such a noob, but I am struggling to find the introduction section.
I apoligise for the lack of ettiqute

soupfor1au
10th July 2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks to Megomonster also.
I will look into it today for pricing. How difficult are they to change over & are there any tricks I should be aware of.

MudRunnerTD
10th July 2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks to Megomonster also.
I will look into it today for pricing. How difficult are they to change over & are there any tricks I should be aware of.

If you already have twin tanks then they are fairly straightforward and can be fitted in the driveway if you have the tools. They use he same sender and plumbing the exists on the car already making it straight forward.

paulyg
10th July 2014, 06:20 PM
If you are going to replace the sub tank, that's the one in the middle, there is a wiring loom that runs next to the tank, be Shure not to pinch it between the tank and chassis.

soupfor1au
14th July 2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks PaulyG
That's the kind of advice that I need. Simple so I can understand it. Do you know if its legal to have plastic tanks instead of steel? My brother builds plastic tanks and I could get him to make one instead of spending over $1000

Winnie
14th July 2014, 06:56 PM
Even if it were legal... Would you want one under your car? No way!

threedogs
14th July 2014, 06:58 PM
As long as it was ADR approved I cant see a problem,
If he does water tanks as well give him a plug ,plenty here are after water tanks.

paulyg
14th July 2014, 07:22 PM
When I was shopping around for a tank, one of our local suppliers asked me to look under his patrol at his tank, it had a massive dent in it where he bellied out on a large rock,
But the tank did not leak, I am not so shore a plastic tank could take that sort of impact and not leak.

FNQGU
14th July 2014, 07:34 PM
If you do replace both tanks, just be aware that you are adding a significant amount of weight to your vehicle and it will change how it handles when fully fueled and loaded. Shocks and the Coil Tower Braces might need reviewing. The coil tower braces should really be done anyway.

I have still got a minor leak with on the breather tube on my main tank. It comes off the tank right up against the overhead body of the vehicle and when I tried to bend it down slightly to stop it rubbing through the fuel line, I inadvertently cracked the breather. I now have to get around to dropping the tank again and fixing that, so I would suggest you keep an eye on it when you fit it up. Ideally that breather should come out and have a 90 degree bend in it I think.

soupfor1au
14th July 2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I think plastic would be fine for me as I don't climb mountains with it & 10mm thick plastic would absorb more impact than I would ever give it. I know my brother makes diesel tanks for boats & helicopters, but I haven't asked him about one for me as yet.
Nice call on the weight & effects it will have on my suspension PaulyG. I was probably going to explore air bags to counter this but don't know what's available and how readily adjustable they are on the fly.

soupfor1au
15th July 2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks FNQGU. I gave PaulyG the credit for your great post when you took the time to warn me about the weight and breather pipe problem. Very good advice and I will be taking extra care now.