PDA

View Full Version : GQ Turning & Noise - Help

GQ1000
9th July 2014, 07:35 AM
Hello Friends

I am newbie to this forum and GQ as well as i have just got one couple of days before with TD42 & manual tranny.

Seeking help of you gurus for two of the following issues:

when i take a U turn in slow speeds steering become kind of Jam and dosnt want to come back and you need immense power to keep the rig straight after turn and while turning back it take kind of jerks but at straight driving its very light rather kind of sensitive light and flowing.

Second issue is of high cranking / knocking noise when at idle i have tried to adjust tappets but it looks that noise is not coming from them, what could be the possible reason to it?

G'Day.

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2014, 02:34 PM
Can you get the car on a hoist mate? It sounds like you might have a broken CV but the description is a little odd. Getting on a hoist with someone turning the steering wheel might give you some more info.

The Knock in the motor is also of concern. Is there any decent diesel guys there. The TD42 is fairly agricultural and any diesel guy should be able to give you some idea. A compression test would be good.

Good luck with it mate.

Col.T
9th July 2014, 07:40 PM
G'day mate,
hard to answer without seeing or hearing the problem which is Mudrunner's difficulty, however,,,,
1) you are NOT driving on a hard surface road in 4WD with the hubs locked are you? That is not good and can cause real 'grabbing' on lock.
2) sometimes you can find where engine noise is coming from by placing the metal end of a long screwdriver on various parts of the engine and holding the handle into your ear.
As Muddy says, the engine is pretty basic and a competent mechanic should be able to point you in the right direction if you can't get there yourself.
How old, how many Kilometres has it done?

All the best,
Cl

timmay556
11th July 2014, 10:08 AM
Not an over tightened steering box.

Col.T
23rd July 2014, 06:51 PM
Oi, GQ,
what's happening? Any progress?
Tell us please,
Col.