PDA

View Full Version : internal fuse box

scubasteve
8th July 2014, 06:57 PM
Im having troubles with my indicators and headlights and they seem to play up when I fiddle in the fuse box. It looks like there's been a blow out and the box is all white and oxidized. Does anybody think it would be possible to clean up the damage or am I going to need to rewire a new fuse box in? If so how hard would this be? Ill get some pics in the morning so show what I mean
Cheers

mudnut
8th July 2014, 07:05 PM
It depends on what you find when you take the screws out and see what has caused the problem. Moisture may have caused some cables to corrode and make the joints a high resistance, which heats up under load.

cjb
9th July 2014, 10:50 AM
Grab a can of contact cleaner give it a good spray let it evaporate then try it.

scubasteve
9th July 2014, 11:30 AM
It depends on what you find when you take the screws out and see what has caused the problem. Moisture may have caused some cables to corrode and make the joints a high resistance, which heats up under load.

I pulled it off yesterday and all the wires and terminations seem to look ok I couldnt get my head right in there but it looked like it was only the front face was damaged. Ill track down some contact cleaner and give it a blast and see if that helps

scubasteve
9th July 2014, 07:26 PM
Grab a can of contact cleaner give it a good spray let it evaporate then try it.

Gave that a try today it cleaned up ok but didnt solve my problem

After pulling it off again and having a fiddle the connections in the back seem really dodge the headlights flicker when the cables move and theres alot of arcing and carrying on so im trying to figure out my best option. I think I may have to transplant a new fuse box in and redo some wire connections

megatexture
9th July 2014, 09:34 PM
Can you just cut and replace or solder the existing wires and heat shrink and put them back?

scubasteve
10th July 2014, 07:48 AM
Can you just cut and replace or solder the existing wires and heat shrink and put them back?

Thata what I think ill have to do. Im going to look at maybe an aftermarket fuse box and extending the loom a little and putting it up under the dash. Just an idea tho