PDA

View Full Version : When you son becomes an adult

NP99
6th July 2014, 10:14 PM
My 28 year old has an extensive collection of workshop tools and a concrete floor. It's great going over there working on the car and sharing a beer :)

For those of you with young ones......there's great days ahead. For those with grown up kids, you know what I mean :)

kevin07
6th July 2014, 10:42 PM
Christ mines 21 in England just broke up with with 1st girlfriend and he is driving me crazy. can you pick how many times I wanted to swear in that sentence

NP99
6th July 2014, 10:46 PM
We are going to do the extractors on my GU together.....you'll be able to hear the swearing :)

kevin07
6th July 2014, 11:58 PM
blood will be spilt.

NP99
7th July 2014, 09:56 AM
He was in a workplace accident recently, near fatality. He suffered a lot of damage to his body. So the extractor job will be me doing under his direction....

dinkydy
7th July 2014, 11:02 AM
mine are 28 and 21, neither know which end of a shifter to use, but if i ever need computor lessons, their the boys.
They don't mind me working on their cars, or drinking my beer while they watch

jff45
7th July 2014, 12:22 PM
My 2 are 40 & 35 and neither are keen to get their hands dirty. The elder heads the internal audit dept in the World Bank in Washington so we only see him every few years. We've seen the grandson twice in 4 years..
Younger is a research Chemist for a well known pharmaceutical company in Brisbane. We see him maybe once every 3 months (or when he has a car problem) and we're only an hour away.
I'm the one with the tools and sheds. He has to bring his own beer because I don't drink..

dads tractor
7th July 2014, 01:53 PM
He has to bring his own beer because I don't drink.. that's smart on 2 counts, but there is always a beverage or two in the shed fridge despite the raiders.

gaddy
7th July 2014, 02:15 PM
My 28 year old has an extensive collection of workshop tools and a concrete floor. It's great going over there working on the car and sharing a beer :)

For those of you with young ones......there's great days ahead. For those with grown up kids, you know what I mean :)

You sound like my dad , I got the shed , he has the skills , I can't get rid of him ( not that I want to) , he has even got one of his mates , another retired tradie , coming down this week to to do the final welds on my camper chassis , and while they do that mum potters in the garden ,

NP99
7th July 2014, 03:59 PM
You sound like my dad , I got the shed , he has the skills , I can't get rid of him ( not that I want to) , he has even got one of his mates , another retired tradie , coming down this week to to do the final welds on my camper chassis , and while they do that mum potters in the garden ,

It's a good feeling mate, I miss my dad, he was good with the tools too....

jack
7th July 2014, 04:52 PM
It's a good feeling mate, I miss my dad, he was good with the tools too....

Know exactly how you feel, my dad was an excellent engineer, mechanic, welder and problem solver - some self taught by necessity. Sent us boys to technical school and gave us a strong work ethic and interest from an early age. I'll never forget when he did the CV on an Austin 1800 - got the mechanics quote and (after picking himself up) we decided to do it ourselves. After that we were CV experts - did a couple of Subaru's for others.
He built the first electric operated chips cutter for a fish & chip shop - should have patented that one. He had a serious work place accident that prevented him from being active and working - he wasn't depressed about the accident, just that he couldn't work and felt worthless.

Of my kids the youngest daughter is great with tools and mechanics etc. and one of my grandchildren is showing great promise as an 8 year old. Helps that his mum and dad (auto elec/mechanic) always involve him. I've told all the kids that my grandson will inherit my extensive tool collection as he shows interest and I also inherited my dads collection.

I'm proud of all my children, they all grew up with a strong work ethic and are doing well as adults. (that's not to say we didn't have our differences getting there)

threedogs
7th July 2014, 04:54 PM
Its the curse of the married man seems all my tools are his to share with his mates,{so wrong]
sick of buying replacement tools as in socket sets so now they are under lock and key.
One is an auto lect 28yo and 6' 2" and the other is 23 and training for mixed martial arts fighting 6'3"
They are not Angels but slowly getting better, three things I've always told them is never lie, cheat or steal.
They are polite that's the main thing, there Grandparents would be Proud of them I know I am

NP99
7th July 2014, 05:05 PM
That's a good point about tools Apollofish. I inherited my dad's tools too and added mine over the years. He engraved his tools with his name and employee no. Every now and then when I'm swinging one I have a grin and think of him. My son will inherit mine when my day comes....

jack
7th July 2014, 05:29 PM
That's a good point about tools Apollofish. I inherited my dad's tools too and added mine over the years. He engraved his tools with his name and employee no. Every now and then when I'm swinging one I have a grin and think of him. My son will inherit mine when my day comes....

I still smile every now and then using his tools, we have the same initial and he also engraved his. Always impressed by the quality but with my eyesight I have to admit a new set of digital verniers would be nice.

Family4x4
7th July 2014, 09:33 PM
My old man rolled his D9 dozer when I was 4 he has been pushing daisy's up ever since. Its a damn shame that dozer would be handy. Growing up without an old man has always made me want to be a great dad.

My son is 4 he already helps me out on the tools, I can't wait to pass on knowledge to him perhaps build up the VS SS with him or any projects. He is a real worker and a thinker already, although he sometimes can get frustrated if he can get something to work the way he wants, can't we all.

I am defiantly excited about the times ahead, at this stage I want them to have a great time beings kids filled with discovery, happiness and aussie adventures.

NP99
7th July 2014, 10:09 PM
My old man rolled his D9 dozer when I was 4 he has been pushing daisy's up ever since. Its a damn shame that dozer would be handy. Growing up without an old man has always made me want to be a great dad.

My son is 4 he already helps me out on the tools, I can't wait to pass on knowledge to him perhaps build up the VS SS with him or any projects. He is a real worker and a thinker already, although he sometimes can get frustrated if he can get something to work the way he wants, can't we all.

I am defiantly excited about the times ahead, at this stage I want them to have a great time beings kids filled with discovery, happiness and aussie adventures.

Trust me mate, you will turn around one day and wonder where the last 20 years went... :)

MEGOMONSTER
8th July 2014, 07:27 AM
It scares me just thinking of my niece becoming an adult. Boy are her parents gonna have grief, unless her attitude changes between now and then but unlikely.

threedogs
8th July 2014, 08:35 AM

I am defiantly excited about the times ahead, at this stage I want them to have a great time beings kids filled with discovery, happiness and aussie adventures.\
I'm sure your father would be very proud of you and your boy.
For starters not many can put a spout on the first born. It's a gift lol

NP99
8th July 2014, 05:14 PM
\
I'm sure your father would be very proud of you and your boy.
For starters not many can put a spout on the first born. It's a gift lol

My first is a girl...she is so vulnerable to being ripped off by mechanics :(
Every trick out there about blinker fluid etc would work on her when it comes to cars.....

Drew
8th July 2014, 08:08 PM
I'm still waiting :(

@GUte
8th July 2014, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately my 23 yo daughter doesn't have the knowledge now compared to when she new everything as a teenager! So, guess who checks the levels when we get a visit? She's a good kid.

Avo
8th July 2014, 09:01 PM
My eldest daughter is 24,she was never too much trouble,my next is 21..she lived with her mum once we split up and only just started getting back in contact over the last 2 yrs....My next turned 13 yesterday...she stuffed up about a month ago and I just dragged her straight to the cop shop,don't think she'll be messing up anytime soon...and the baby of the family is 10..now when she was born I said,now this one is going to be trouble.....not yet she isn't but god her mean and evil streak doesn't take much to come out...Love all 4 of my daughters.....

And yes I hoped for a boy evertime,still call Bella, Jeremy every now and then to p!ss her off,she was my last hope..

As much as they are girls we love to go camping fishing and shooting as a family..and yes I get heaps of cakes and cookies made.

NP99
8th July 2014, 09:17 PM
My youngest is 21 female. I ark her up,often about wishing for a boy.....:)
She checks her oil and water etc, calls me over at times to double check...... :)

nissannewby
8th July 2014, 09:29 PM
She checks her oil and water etc, calls me over at times to double check...... :)

So you have a workshop avsilable and a snorkel you would like fitted I think we need to finally get this organized :).

relyimah
8th July 2014, 09:51 PM
Great reading all these posts guys. I'm recently back at home with the folks again. Can be frustrating at times but is certainly good when you need a hand getting something done. While my old man can be a grumpy short tempered... You know the rest... He still gets on the tools and helps out with the fourby ("I told you that thing would be a money pit") haha.

I long to be a parent myself so that I can pass on the knowledge and experiences.

Props to all you guys that have shown your kids the way :)

relyimah
8th July 2014, 09:54 PM
Oh and for all you blokes worried about tools, the old man bought me a socket/spanner set to put in the back of the car, and then had to buy a whole heap of gear when I was up in qld... now I buy all my own stuff to save the complaints.... Half the time he ends up using mine now hehe

NP99
8th July 2014, 10:49 PM
So you have a workshop avsilable and a snorkel you would like fitted I think we need to finally get this organized :).

I have a workshop at Petrie any day of the week Mat. I'm at Kirks place most days now helping him rehab from his workplace accident. You set the date/time and I'll provide the rest :)

Drew
9th July 2014, 04:34 AM
She just wants to see you :)

DX grunt
9th July 2014, 06:03 AM
I have 4 sons ranging in age from 27 to 19. Life has thrown them more and different challenges than when I was growing up.
As they navigate through life, I hope they remember I'll always be there to love them. We have our differences and moments
and sometimes I just have to let them go and let them learn from their mistakes. Love surpasses all understanding.

Rossco

Hardyards
9th July 2014, 10:08 AM
Both my boys joined the Military like myself and my wife, and while I was always bullet proof and loved my time deployed, Got to see the other side when they deployed, sucks being the one left behind doing all the worrying!! Hard to let go and not want to be there to protect them.
Great thing with having boys (besides they will never come home pregnant) is I got to buy them their first tool kits for their 21st. Expensive, but fun shopping

Avo
9th July 2014, 10:47 AM
Talking of losing tools,i hate it when I have no-one to blame and then find them where I had them last........

relyimah
9th July 2014, 10:51 AM
Talking of losing tools,i hate it when I have no-one to blame and then find them where I had them last........

That happens all the time in our house mate!

NP99
9th July 2014, 05:32 PM

I blame my wife.......screw drivers for chisels.......grrrrrr. :)

mudski
9th July 2014, 05:36 PM

I have two girls. So unless their boyfriends, or girlfriends are into, that I will be alone...

NP99
9th July 2014, 05:48 PM
I have two girls. So unless their boyfriends, or girlfriends are into, that I will be alone...

Plenty of time to groom the girls mate :)

krbrooking
9th July 2014, 08:59 PM
I too have two girls, one 10 and the other 6. They both will sometimes want to help out and play with my tools but not too often, the youngest more so than the older. I will do my best to bring them up knowing as much as they can about cars and tools but is going to be an up hill fight in between all the shopping. Both are well mannered and for the good part well behaved. I am proud of them both so far. I do think the younger one is going to be the troublesome one though.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

cgm
9th July 2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, I've enjoyed this thread. It's funny though, you can't predict it. I grew up on a farm and had my own car since about 10. If I wanted it to work I had to fix it. If I wanted the flat tyre changed I had to change it. I remember the effort it used to be to "borrow" the tyres off the hay rake. I had a set of dual rims welded up with a spacer and the second centre cut out for the back of my Volksy. Dad would let me use the good tyres off the hay rake in the winter as long as I changed them and put them back. I guess I was about 12 or 13 by then. Slamming that bead breaker, well it used to break me. Many of you know the drill of growing up on the farm. Looking back on it now it was such an opportunity.

I have two boys and a girl (she came in the middle). The oldest is now 20 and still doesn't even drive! Admittedly, he spent the last 3 or 4 years in Saudi and no one really wants to have to drive there, let alone learn to drive there. However we were out in the desert heaps and he could have driven, but no interest. So, I've got 3 kids between 16-20 and none of them driving yet!

When it comes to the tools, the oldest has helped me often to fix things either on the car or around the house and more than capable. But interested? Not in the slightest. Just does it to help his Dad and only for that. Used to say to him, "Wouldn't you like to learn how to weld?" Nup. :)

Love them all and they're great kids. But, there's nothing to say they will necessarily follow in your interests.

relyimah
9th July 2014, 11:07 PM
Well you've obviously done a good job if he is helping out because he wants to help you out :)
I had no real interest in cars until I got the troll (computer need by interest and trade) but always knew just enough for the same reasons as you've just described about your son... But now all those years of helping / kicking tyres so to speak is paying off tenfold...
I reckon all you can do is teach kids the right path from a respect /responsibility/moral point of view, the rest they can find their own way and anything they have learned in the meantime is a bonus

NP99
9th July 2014, 11:37 PM
Funny enough we are already predicting which of our grand kids will cause their parents grief.....We have 5 adult kids, last year my eldest girl 31, said "dad, you raised us like little soldiers",

They have all turned out great kids, just as you guys describe with yours :)