PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Virgin

aulansalot
6th July 2014, 12:24 PM
Just purchased a 2005 Patrol for a steal, but unfortunately there was no user manual so came on here to find out a few things. Am going to trawl through the forums to find my answers I need. I hope the community can answer the questions I have if I am unable to find them for myself.

EDIT:

So the Patrol I picked up is a 12/2005 ST 3.0L Turbo Diesel with 152,000kms on the clock. I have a budget to do some mods on it, but there are a few things holding me back. It has 2 spares, and all 6 tyres have been replaced within past 3 months with Cooper A/T3's so cant really justify changing out tyres (do I really need to from stock size? 305's do look nice though). The car itself is pretty well stock, and we got it at a steal as my wife's work offloaded it to us for $6k when they shut up shop. I know I could invest some $$$ into it and get them back pretty easily, but with a budget of $0-$4,000 what should I really do? I've been reading up on NADS and it's only $400 odd to get this done. So far as what are we going to use it for, well we live in the north of WA so it'd be nice to be able to take it offroad. We tested it out today driving it up Mt Nameless in Tom Price and it did the trick quite well, I'm just thinking of when I go beach driving do I need to think about anything other than making sure my compressor is handy and letting down the tyres? Is a lift kit needed for beach driving or is it simply a way of increasing clearance?

My current wishlist if anything is:
- NADS (if needed).
- Roof rack with awning.
- A set of 305's (do I need to change rims?)
- Winch.
- Dual batteries.

Do I need to change out stock intercooler? I'm only ever going to be towing a <750kg unbraked camper trailer.

If your keen to share your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

MEGOMONSTER
6th July 2014, 12:42 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Avo
6th July 2014, 01:53 PM
welcome mate,came to the right place for answers and info..there's stack loads here..

threedogs
6th July 2014, 01:55 PM
hi and welcome I'm sure you'll find all your answers here.
jump in anytime and enjoy

aulansalot
6th July 2014, 04:11 PM
Updated original post with some questions.

Dhuck
6th July 2014, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Sherro
6th July 2014, 06:37 PM
G'day Aulansalot welcome to the forum mate.

my third 256
7th July 2014, 08:16 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

relyimah
8th July 2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome mate. Hope you find all the info you need here. Know I have over the years and have found a great bunch of people in the process.

I don't have the answers to all your questions but for some, I'll give my 2c;

- NADS; I have a 4.2 so this is foreign to me. They say you don't technically need it after a certain year ('03?) buy is still widely recommended for peace of mind. $400 is way cheaper than a rebuild (trust me I've just been through one)

- only way to increase actual "clearance" is bigger tyres as this is what will raise your diff (lowest point of car). Suspension/body lift gives you better approach / over / departure angles (helps for some of the steep stuff)

- if you do change wheels, suggest 16 inch rims (or smaller I guess) to increase the size of the sidewall. Can help in sticky situations (and possibly for beach with lower pressures but I've not done any beach driving myself)

- if only towing moderate loads can probably get away with standard intercooler. Again not really an expert here just my thoughts.
- on the above though, I'd suggest a pro gauge (and boost) so you can monitor what's going on with temps so you can hopefully stop before anything nasty happens.

Hopefully some of the other guys can give you some more info. As this is an intro thread, some of your questions may get missed so may pay you to ask in the appropriate sections if you don't get any further responses in a day or so.

Cheers

Ben

Robert 99 gu
20th July 2014, 08:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum

Gavshe
20th July 2014, 08:38 PM
Hi welcome aboard

growler2058
26th July 2014, 01:29 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard, if you haven't already ask your Q's in the forums as a lot don't read the intros mate