PDA

View Full Version : Flea bay cargo boxes ..

HuskyInAuz
6th July 2014, 10:04 AM
Has anyone purchased one of these storage boxes? If so, any comments, PM or public?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Storage-Space-Utility-Cargo-Case-Camping-Toolbox-Light-Grey-136L-/141090884735?pt=AU_Tool_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d9ac0c7f

NP99
6th July 2014, 10:06 AM
It's hard to tell without knowing brands, but, mine was issued to me and it's been great. I use it in the back of the GU to carry everything.

threedogs
6th July 2014, 10:15 AM
there are two that I know of the original "space case" as used by the army etc
then the patent ran out .
Now you can get RV branded ones as well, both awesome for storage, especially the low ones for the roof

HuskyInAuz
6th July 2014, 10:51 AM
These are from QLD and Omni----- brand. Yes, I was hoping for a good comment to get a couple low profiled ones for the reserved roof rack seating.

04OFF
6th July 2014, 12:28 PM
We have a large one for my sons 5th scale rc car, its branded a Pelican case , but looks exactly the same in every way, its very strong (you can stand on it without it really flexing) is certainly water tight, we have kept a full fuel container locked in ours (rc car runs on unleaded), and it prevents any fuel smell escaping when the whole box is inside the house in his bedroom.

BTW, Bunnings normally have them in stock if you want to look at one.

NP99
6th July 2014, 01:26 PM
OT, but back in the 90's hundreds of the metal trunks went to the tip when the plastic boxes were introduced. It cost money to dump them at the metal yard and was cheaper to dump them at the tip. How handy they would be in sheds today :)

threedogs
6th July 2014, 02:03 PM
I used ammo boxes as a tool box during my working days.
then filled it with plumbing fitting.
We used to spot weld them to a work bench to stop thieves lol
They command a high price now if you can find them, great for compressor
and recovery gear too

Plus all space case style boxes are stackable as well, another plus.
Maybe just a tad pricey for some, but dust free what more could you want

Military surplus sale on Trimcast branded cases
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Space-Case-Trunk-Ex-army-Military-surplus-11005531-ARB-TJM-Trimcast-Spacecase-/301218687777?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item4622086b21

NP99
6th July 2014, 02:11 PM
I used ammo boxes as a tool box during my working days.
then filled it with plumbing fitting.
We used to spot weld them to a work bench to stop thieves lol
They command a high price now if you can find them, great for compressor
and recovery gear too

Plus all space case style boxes are stackable as well, another plus.
Maybe just a tad pricey for some, but dust free what more could you want

I've seen ammo boxes for sale at disposal stores but they are too $$$

threedogs
6th July 2014, 02:17 PM
Probably the only downside on the Space case is the thick walls.
I have a few roadie cases I use now and then other than that
I have wooden suitcases I got off Ebay for around $30 a pop.
Big believer in a box for every thing, neater that way

pickers
6th July 2014, 05:48 PM
Go have a look at bunnings , my local has pelican ones and other brand not sure but any were from $100 to $200
Price seems to have dropped over the last few years I have a kingcrome one seems ok about $200 3 years ago

P4trol
6th July 2014, 10:32 PM
Military surplus sale on Trimcast branded cases
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Space-Case-Trunk-Ex-army-Military-surplus-11005531-ARB-TJM-Trimcast-Spacecase-/301218687777?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item4622086b21

That is the exact case I have on my roofrack, bought from that same seller. He's selling quite a few ex army cases. I use the term ex army to find the cases... The search terms "Army box" and "army trunk" don't seem to deliver many cases like in the picture.

Want to know where the ebay sellers get it from? Ex government auctions. They buy 6 or 10 on a pallet for $1000 or so, then re-sell on ebay.

NP99
6th July 2014, 11:23 PM
They are probably part of comms kits the ADF disposed of, the case being one of the components. You can bet he bought them way way cheaper than $1000 a pallet.

HuskyInAuz
9th July 2014, 10:57 PM
Well I went and ordered just one of these units http://www.intelliquip.com.au/media/commerce_products/8/Space-Case-Large-Dark-Grey-_web_200xa.jpg because the ones at Dunnings were the same price. If they turn out good I'll pack up our camping stuff in boxes and buy a few more as we go past in a fortnight and repack in the parking lot.