PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft rebuild question

wykenrico
1st July 2014, 08:48 PM
unluckily my gq breakdown the fourth day of our trip but luckily we aint in the real middle of nowhere yet. took out the harmonic balancer which looks like new and the crank looks like this shit.....spent a lot to make sure cooling and suspension system dont fail cant believe it failed in this hidden place which i wouldnt hv known to have it checked at all....no idea how previous owner has managed to make this part so bad as engine was running quite well until the harmonic balance start shaking around...

so the diesel mechanic in denham wa told me it cost around 5000 parts and labour to have a crankshaft rebuild does it sound the right price? or is it ok to put a high tensile bolt in so that i can drive back to perth to get it done?

sil3nt_dr3ams
2nd July 2014, 04:59 PM
bad luck mate what engine is that?

wykenrico
2nd July 2014, 07:02 PM
its rd28t......did a search after the incident and found that there's quite a few people saying the harmonic balancer tends to fail on rd28t why didnt i see this earlier :(

Dales300exc
2nd July 2014, 07:19 PM
Can probably get a second hand engine a hell of a lot cheaper than 5k.

Also how far is it to home? Id put it back on and drive it back. Its stuffed anyway.

sil3nt_dr3ams
2nd July 2014, 09:16 PM
Mate your going to spend 5grand on an engine that will only cost you another huge repair bill down the track. So many people bin the 2.8 and do a conversion . 5grans is a pretty expensive bandaid .

wykenrico
2nd July 2014, 11:54 PM
ya i would probably put it back and drive it to the nearby big city which is carnarvon about 300 km away do you think it can make it? then i'l get it transported back to perth to do the thing whatever it is probably cheaper than small town mechanics....

sil3nt_dr3ams
3rd July 2014, 02:23 AM
i seen a pajero owner weld his on one day, get home and bin the entire engine bolt a td42 in.