PDA

View Full Version : Gear lever cover clips

Barossa
1st July 2014, 02:44 PM
G'day,

it appears that the gear lever cover was removed at one time and not re-attached. The clips that hold the cover are missing. Nissan can't find a part number for these clips as it doesn't show up in there parts list. I want to remedy this situation and would welcome any suggestions what to use to re-attach the cover?

threedogs
1st July 2014, 03:02 PM
you may have to buy a new boot to suit, but surely there is a way to do it cheaply

Cuppa
1st July 2014, 05:49 PM
you may have to buy a new boot to suit, but surely there is a way to do it cheaply

If anyone finds (or has found) a good solution, please post it up.

nissannewby
1st July 2014, 06:41 PM
If anyone finds (or has found) a good solution, please post it up.

Yep. Araldite :).

BillsGU
1st July 2014, 08:21 PM
I found some small stainless steel machine screws and drilled a series of holes though the top of the gear surround (mine is an auto) and used washers underneath to locate the frame that holds the surround. Hope this makes sense. The ring of screws look good on top of the console.

mudski
1st July 2014, 10:47 PM
I priced those little washers up a while back. Around 4bux a piece. The little post that the washer pushes onto on mine had nearly all broken off so I just glued the boot back up. Worked good.

BillsGU
2nd July 2014, 10:22 AM
I priced those little washers up a while back. Around 4bux a piece. The little post that the washer pushes onto on mine had nearly all broken off so I just glued the boot back up. Worked good.

My pins had broken off as well. I tried glue but it eventually let go. The gear box heats that area up and affects the glue. It looks like the previous owner stored heavy objects on the cover and broke the plastic pins (probably a mobile phone at a guess).

mudski
2nd July 2014, 01:19 PM
Haha. Thats where my mobile sits too. Although the glue on mine hasn't let go.

Clunk
2nd July 2014, 03:09 PM
Give patrolapart a call

BillsGU
2nd July 2014, 10:27 PM
Give patrolapart a call

I don't think so. You would have to buy the whole gear suround. If I did that I would try a wrecker first. Besides - the screws look good and work well.

Clunk
2nd July 2014, 10:46 PM
I don't think so. You would have to buy the whole gear suround. If I did that I would try a wrecker first. Besides - the screws look good and work well.

You never know what they may have in the spare parts bin. Doesn't hurt to ask

Barossa
3rd July 2014, 01:40 AM
Found some lockwashers on evilbay. Will have to measure the stud diameter in order to get the correct size.

BillsGU
3rd July 2014, 08:19 AM
Found some lockwashers on evilbay. Will have to measure the stud diameter in order to get the correct size.

You would need a vernier - they are very small and fragile.

Barossa
3rd January 2015, 09:48 PM
Bought a pack of 50 x 3mm star lock washers on evilbay, which got the job done. I found an original star lock washer whilst fitting the new ones. It was about the same diameter, but thinner and more flexible. Anyhow it did the job and the middle console looks great again...