PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Retainer (15201vc100)

Barossa
30th June 2014, 03:38 PM
G'day,

A 70000km inspection at a Nissan service centre revealed that the plastic insert (clip?), which is part of the oil filter retainer housing, was missing. I was quoted $362.35 for the part . After questioning the price on this part, reply was that the plastic insert wasn't available separately and the complete housing requires replacing. I found this hard to believe, especially, why this part was missing in the first place.

Does anyone have an alternative to replacing the complete housing or knows a cheaper source for this part?

Wazza_66
30th June 2014, 03:50 PM
Maybe thrown out with the cartridge by the apprentice? $294 plus postage on evilbay. Who serviced it last time? Same place maybe ask why it wasn't picked up then, which takes me back to my first comment.

Barossa
1st July 2014, 02:10 AM
Many thanks for your reply and tip. I bought the car second hand in Alice Spring, which was serviced by the previous owner. This was the first time this car was serviced by the local Nissan dealership in Alice Springs. Will see if I can find the seller of the filter housing on eBay.

I'm just amazed about the prize tag on something as trivial as this and also, that the plastic clip/insert isn't available separately. One could possibly produce this piece of plastic with a 3D printer.

BTW: I also went to the local wrecker and got quoted $265 + shipment for a second hand unit. Its just insane...

Barossa
1st July 2014, 01:58 PM
It will be some time before the arrival of the new part. Should I be concerned using the car during this time? A new filter is installed but I suspect it won't be as effictive without the plastic insert/clip?

mudski
1st July 2014, 07:11 PM
It will be some time before the arrival of the new part. Should I be concerned using the car during this time? A new filter is installed but I suspect it won't be as effictive without the plastic insert/clip?

Your talking about the little plastic bit that pushes into the end of the oil filter? What year is your car? I just checked and its part of the housing.... I can get them for around the $220 mark brand new and OEM. But there is a wait on them.

Edit. I read your sig now I'm on my pc. Still can get them if you want bud. Maybe around a 3 week wait...

boots
1st July 2014, 08:48 PM
100 dollars for an entire complete filter housing at most wreckers around the suburbs of Melbourne .You may do a little better on ebay from someone who is dismantling a GU.

mudski
1st July 2014, 10:20 PM
100 dollars for an entire complete filter housing at most wreckers around the suburbs of Melbourne .You may do a little better on ebay from someone who is dismantling a GU.

Lol just don't go to the one in Fawkner. He's dearer than new parts from Nissan at full retail...

my third 256
2nd July 2014, 08:08 AM
im sure some one could knock one up for you with a lathe
some plastic block or teflon block and glue in
the cartridge holds it in

Col.T
2nd July 2014, 07:49 PM
G'day Barossa man,
guess this is more for my information than yours BUT I've got an 08 3.0CRD and I can't picture the bit.
There's a 'tray' under/around my filter. Is that the bit that's missing?
When the filter is installed, do you have a leak?
When you've installed the new filter and run the wagon for a few K's, is the filter clean meaning you don't have flow through.
Do you know for sure there's a problem?
Sorry not to be of help but I'd like to know a bit more about it
regards
Col

mudski
2nd July 2014, 08:01 PM
Col. Look at the pic above of the filter housing. See the little black thing in the end of the housing? That's the part the he's missing. When you remove the oil filter this is clipped in the end of the filter. It centres the element for when you screw the housing up.

Barossa
3rd July 2014, 01:37 AM
G'day Col.T,

its the part in the centre of the picture submitted by "my third 256".

The part looks simple enough in order to produce a replica using a 3D printer. Does anyone have its dimensions? At what temperature does the oil pass through the filter?

Col.T
7th July 2014, 07:47 PM
Gotcha fellas,
can't help with a replacement but I reckon it's probably not JUST a centering guide for installing the filter. Could well be involved in guiding oil flow in/out of the filter.
Perhaps if the filter seems to be fully fouled at change there's enough left to be effectively directing the oil. Oil flow in is under oil pump pressure I'd guess and provided it's following the correct course through, you'd be pretty safe. I hope.
Prices from the 'stealers' is a sure bummer though.
Good luck,
Col

mudski
7th July 2014, 09:02 PM
Nah Col its just to hold the filter right and straight for when you turn the housing on its side and screw the fecker in. The clip in mine is busted, still there but broken.
Hey my wifes work have a 3D printer. Maybe they could "print" a few out....Hmmmm.

Hodge
8th July 2014, 06:02 PM
I saw this on eBay before mate... Bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gu-patrol-zd30-3-0L-turbo-diesel-DI-oil-filter-screw-on-cover-holder-NO-RESERVE-/251581439579?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a936c1e5b&_uhb=1

Barossa
8th July 2014, 10:56 PM
Damn, I already ordered a new housing from Japan. More later....

ATOC AUTO REPAIRS
9th July 2014, 11:58 AM
we have them in stock

http://atocauto.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=15201_VC100 $215.00

Barossa
10th July 2014, 01:15 PM
I received a brand new filter housing in its original packaging, Nissan P/N 15201VC100, from Japan yesterday. Total cost was $122 (US$95 + shipment cost + PayPal fee). The part was sourced from http://jp-carparts.com and it only took 4 days to arrive in Alice Springs.

I have no association with JP Car Parts and stumbled across their website using Google search. Initially, I was sceptical and worried that it may be a clever scam and hence didn't make any mentioning in my previous message as not to embarrass myself. I'm now relieved and happy to report that this purchase was successful.