PDA

View Full Version : Random steering wheel wobbles

Mattyb
29th June 2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Guys

So my new to me 98 GU has decided to do some very weird things. I have only put a couple of hundred KLMS on her but twice now she has developed a massive wobble as if the tyre is about to come off. She does have a very minor wobble in normal driving but nothing That would normally concern me greatly. All of a sudden and both at very different times, once going down hill at about 80klm/hr and the other time while accelerating at around 60 k's she just starts to wobble like a wheel is about to come off. Have done about 100klm on the why etc and no problems at all. Any advice to look for when I put her up on the jacks tomorrow?? Don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.

Cheers

Drewboyaus
29th June 2014, 11:13 PM
The front end wobble is a common issue with GQ's and GU's. There are many ways you might need to skin that cat. Have a quick search on the subject mate in the search bar. There is a world of info here about it, ready to be discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

threedogs
30th June 2014, 08:13 AM
First check your wheel bearings by jacking up a wheel [front] and holding it top and bottom try and move it back and forward.
Then grab it at 9 and 3 oclock doing the same thing and see what happens, if nothing then good.
Next get your front wheels balanced.
Plus check all wheel nuts especially the rear to see if rim is centred on the hub properly.
there is a small lip the rim needs to sit on{rear].
Have you had work done with your wheels recently??

Alitis007
30th June 2014, 02:35 PM
Hi Guys So my new to me 98 GU has decided to do some very weird things. I have only put a couple of hundred KLMS on her but twice now she has developed a massive wobble as if the tyre is about to come off. She does have a very minor wobble in normal driving but nothing That would normally concern me greatly. All of a sudden and both at very different times, once going down hill at about 80klm/hr and the other time while accelerating at around 60 k's she just starts to wobble like a wheel is about to come off. Have done about 100klm on the why etc and no problems at all. Any advice to look for when I put her up on the jacks tomorrow?? Don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. Cheers

What type of tyres are you running?? What was the road surface like ??

The down hill vibration could be warped front disc rotors, but you will notice it every time you break over 100km/h, the other one while accelerating could be the tyre bouncing on a rough road. Wobbles and vibrations generally occur the same time as in slowing down from 100 - 80 km/h or accelerating around corners, they usually aren't intermittent unless its the wheel/tyre amplifying the road surface through the steering wheel

threedogs
30th June 2014, 03:52 PM
Also check Panhard rod bushes

Mattyb
30th June 2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys will check it out shortly when I give her a service this arvo. Threedogs - Itsa brand new to me car, only had it a few days so still getting my head around it. My first TD also, the old car was a straight forward HZJ troopy and looking under the bonnet of this car is a whole new world lol. Will check the movement of the tyres whilst I jack them up then I might just undo and redo them all to make sure all seated and tightened enough.