PDA

View Full Version : Ebay snorkel review With PICS

Trypt
28th June 2014, 07:41 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a chinese ebay rip off of the a safari snorkel last week.

I, like most of us, was sceptical of the product.

decided to go with a local seller that offers a 3 year warranty.
was just under $100 delivered and arrived in 2 days.

on first inspection the quality is quite good, comes complete with a full fitting kit including template and a very extensive
instruction manual for all gu variants.

fitting was fairly painless and very straight forward.

theres a small gap on the front edge which i made look worse than what it is with some foam tape.

the biggest issue i had was the diameter of the neck, the plastic was about 8mm thick around the neck leaving just under 2.5 inch diameter. i took to it with the die grinder and opened it up.

any questions just ask

Bloodyaussie
28th June 2014, 07:55 PM
I have a safari snorkel and have the same gap there mate...

Trypt
28th June 2014, 07:58 PM
yeah okay, its not a big deal pretty happy really.
i think it could be fixed by having another stud closer to the front though

Avo
28th June 2014, 07:58 PM
thanks for taking the time to do a write up..have you got as link for where you purchased it..Thanks.

NP99
28th June 2014, 08:12 PM
Not wanting to rain on your parade mate, have a look here, food for thought anyway.

http://www.dont-get-burnt.com

Drewboyaus
28th June 2014, 08:33 PM
Make sure you use plenty of silicone for the connections to ensure it's properly watertight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lhurley
28th June 2014, 10:10 PM
The angle of the head can close that gap at the front a little. Not much you can manuver it tho

my third 256
29th June 2014, 06:49 AM
Not wanting to rain on your parade mate, have a look here, food for thought anyway.

http://www.dont-get-burnt.com
same warnings as to their rain water tanks
now some manufactures are getting their plactic from china and making them here
and saying made in australia nothing about material

Trypt
29th June 2014, 08:16 AM
Im fully aware of the downside to buying a cheap copy, and have no doubt genuine products use superior polymers but it sure seems like that page is written by someone with financial or other interest in safari. At less than one third the cost of the safari its worth it to me.

not trying to flame anyone if i had the extra cash i would have bought a nissan one but apprentice wages dictate my decisions.

NP99
29th June 2014, 01:27 PM
I notice sca are now selling cheap snorkels....

doka404
29th June 2014, 02:23 PM
...but it sure seems like that page is written by someone with financial or other interest in safari. At less than one third the cost of the safari its worth it to me.

I had heard that it was actually put together by Safari.

Drewboyaus
29th June 2014, 02:42 PM
I had heard that it was actually put together by Safari.

Doesn't matter who it has been put together by. If the facts are right then so be it.
Sour grapes some might say but if I'd spent a fortune on R&D and had some Johnny-come-lately rip-off my designs for a third of the price with zero investment in the R&D and/or local manufacturing I would be annoyed too. Especially if they are using inferior materials.
My 2c

Bloodyaussie
29th June 2014, 05:55 PM
It plainly says it is a Safari add....

My wife works for a plastics maker and they do high end stuff in sterile clean rooms and make things for automotive(dead in the ass ) and military (hand grenades ) and surgical grade stuff .

She said they use very little of the agent needed for UV protection... her company even uses DNA in there plastics

NP99
29th June 2014, 06:01 PM
Hey Trypt, good pic set for the snorkel. Keep procedures you do coming. I only highlighted the plastics for info. :)

lhurley
29th June 2014, 06:35 PM
Why do threads like these always turn into 'you should only buy brand name products, cheap stuff is sh!t'??

Yes I get that they may not be as good, yes I get that they don't use the same materials, and yes I get the possibly copied someone. BUT not everyone can afford to spend major dollars on high end products. I for 1 do not want to spend $500 on a plastic pipe. My snorkel cost $75 and it's great!

Nice install trypt. Looks great mate. Keep it up.

NP99
29th June 2014, 06:40 PM
Why do threads like these always turn into 'you should only buy brand name products, cheap stuff is sh!t'??

Yes I get that they may not be as good, yes I get that they don't use the same materials, and yes I get the possibly copied someone. BUT not everyone can afford to spend major dollars on high end products. I for 1 do not want to spend $500 on a plastic pipe. My snorkel cost $75 and it's great!

Nice install trypt. Looks great mate. Keep it up.

You did buy a high end product :) A GU dual fuel :)

Bloodyaussie
29th June 2014, 06:41 PM
Not at all from me mate.... I have a Tigerz winch and chinese air locker and light bars from China and much more... trying not to do so as much now but until this lot breaks it what I have !!!!!!

Drewboyaus
29th June 2014, 07:59 PM
Why do threads like these always turn into 'you should only buy brand name products, cheap stuff is sh!t'?? Yes I get that they may not be as good, yes I get that they don't use the same materials, and yes I get the possibly copied someone. BUT not everyone can afford to spend major dollars on high end products. I for 1 do not want to spend $500 on a plastic pipe. My snorkel cost $75 and it's great! Nice install trypt. Looks great mate. Keep it up.

Yeah, fair play. I got sucked in. It's a subject that really burns me up though but I'll get back on topic by also saying thanks for a good job on the write up.
I also have a gap at the front and mine is a Safari.
As I said in a previous post, make sure you use plenty of silicone on the joins to ensure the complete system is watertight.

boots
29th June 2014, 08:26 PM
Has been some used factory Nissan ones on ebay recently for around the 100 dollar mark . Paid almost 400 for mine new . Hay Trypt how filthy was your sponge inside your inner guard for the old intake ?

Trypt
30th June 2014, 09:38 PM
I too agree you get what you pay for but i can only get what i can practicably afford.

Boots i didnt have anything in my guard.

For those mentioning silcone i emptied half a tube around the airbox mouth haha. The other joins are rubber hose and clamps.

NP99
30th June 2014, 10:25 PM
What type of silicone did you use mate?

Trypt
3rd July 2014, 05:51 AM
Black rtv. But it wouldnt matter its not a hot joint so any silicone would suffice aslong as its a flexible type.