PDA

View Full Version : If you don't want them.....give them to someone that does

NP99
28th June 2014, 11:11 AM
We hear of this sadness way too often. Just hand them in if you can't cope or don't want them. We all have a duty to protect kids.

A Queensland coroner has called for an urgent overhaul of parts of the child safety network after a mother beat her eight-year-old daughter to death with a metal vacuum cleaner pole.

The girl named Faith died in 2011 after being beaten with the pole over the course of several days before being left to die alone and in pain, the coroner has found.

A year before her death, Faith was placed in foster care after her school raised concerns about bruises and welts on her body.

Nine days later, the state's Child Safety agency allowed the girl to return home.

Faith did not return to school and when staff tried to find her, the girl's extended family said she was moving overseas.

During the inquest, Child Safety lawyers said the mother went to extraordinary lengths to hide the abuse, making Faith wear wigs and long-sleeved clothes.

In handing down her findings, Coroner Jane Bentley said the decision by Child Safety to allow Faith to return home was incorrect and premature.

'She became invisible'

Ms Bentley said communication breakdowns between state and federal departments, as well as external agencies, were a significant factor in the girl's death.

She said an inadequate investigation into the girl's case was a direct result of understaffing and untenable workloads rather than the fault of individual officers.

Gwen Murray, who led an independent review of child safety practices and systems following Faith's death, said she was astounded that "this little girl literally went off the radar".

"She became invisible," she said

"We can't allow this kind of situation to ever happen again."

Ms Bentley said it was also inexplicable that no-one in Faith's extended family reported the abuse she was suffering.

She also found that Faith's school, which was under the mistaken belief the girl had moved overseas, did all it could to help but was hampered by a lack of information.

In her findings, Ms Bentley recommended changes aimed at preventing other children from "slipping through the cracks", including setting up an information-sharing system to give schools and other child agencies access to basic Centrelink data.

Premier Campbell Newman says he has had discussions with the Federal Government about better sharing of information between agencies to protect children who are being abused.

"We need to be able to share information so that we can better understand what's going on, have a proper picture when protecting kids and also protecting families," he said.

Last year the girl's mother was jailed for seven years for manslaughter, while the girl's stepfather was also convicted on manslaughter charges for turning a blind eye to the abuse.

First posted Fri 27 Jun 2014, 5:41pm AEST

Parksy
28th June 2014, 12:03 PM
This is so sad. And what's even more sad is that this is what it takes for people to open their eyes and do something about it.

Gecko17
28th June 2014, 12:10 PM
Sadly, this is not an isolated case and highlights several pitfalls in the system. The first being the whole bureaucratic procedure and the need to fund the cost of protecting the child. The other is that, according to the system, the child is always better off with her biological mother. This is, I believe, due to the fact that so many offenders are male and the Law is set on a bias accordingly.

When cases of this nature come to light, the muppets' in control are bound to proceed by the letter of the Law and (although there is usually provision to make the needed changes) knowing that the case will be reviewed and it will be their butts in a sling if they get it wrong, usually make a decision based on what they think will hurt them less.

The catch-cry is always "What's in the best interest of the Child?" but is, unfortunately, almost always an ass covering exercise...

There is ALWAYS several complications in matters such as this and, due to the complexity of the matter, is usually put in the too hard pile, with the excuse of "This is not my jurisdiction, case, I have no funding for this." etc... which is why we lose track of those who need help the most.

If it where in my power to change, each victim that came to my attention would be allocated a guardian, whose sole task was to represent the victim and had the authority to advocate for the victim and demand a review if they disagreed with the direction or decision the case was going. Best result would be to have a retired Judge as an advocate and then watch the bureaucrats scuttle like cockroaches when they are shown to be purely going through the motions rather than actively seen to be having the child's welfare at heart.

The old saying of "It takes a Village to raise a child" is obviously no longer true...

NP99
28th June 2014, 12:21 PM
My eldest is a case worker and been employed both in and out of the public sector. Some stories would have you just shaking your head :(

Gecko17
28th June 2014, 12:27 PM
I spent 14 years as a cop, fighting this shit! The bureaucracy is what killed me....

Bloodyaussie
28th June 2014, 12:43 PM
I spent 14 years as a cop, fighting this shit! The bureaucracy is what killed me....

Its what kills everything...... I am becoming so cynical and I dont want to be !!!

threedogs
28th June 2014, 02:13 PM
Then that young boy playing cricket when his "Father" beat him to death with a cricket bat in front of everyone< down at Tyabb
THE SYSTEM IS WRONG, NEED TO RE THINK THE WHOLE PROCESS

Hodge
28th June 2014, 02:42 PM
Yes system is extremely flawed, clouded in bureaucratic s***.
I nearly got sacked when I was an apprentice, for simply telling a father to stop beating the daylights out of his 4 year old son. My words were "Mate take it easy, he is only a kid." All the kid wanted to do was, stand outside and watch us work out of a cherry picker. The Carlton tinnie the bloke had in his hand, may have indicated the state he was in at the time. But that is not an excuse.
Needless to say, s*** hit the fan and cops, union, social services, etc were all involved, as he went absolutely nuts after I said that.
What absolutely enraged me the most, is the whole process was, and everyone involved were so busy finding out if I was in the wrong or not, that the fact, the kid was beaten silly, has been completely forgotten. This is why sometimes people turn a blind eye... But that day I simply couldn't as this kid was in a bit of bother.

NP99
28th June 2014, 06:32 PM
I nearly got sacked when I was an apprentice, for simply telling a father to stop beating the daylights out of his 4 year old son. My words were "Mate take it easy, he is only a kid." All the kid wanted to do was, stand outside and watch us work out of a cherry picker. The Carlton tinnie the bloke had in his hand, may have indicated the state he was in at the time. But that is not an excuse.
Needless to say, s*** hit the fan and cops, union, social services, etc were all involved, as he went absolutely nuts after I said that.
What absolutely enraged me the most, is the whole process was, and everyone involved were so busy finding out if I was in the wrong or not, that the fact, the kid was beaten silly, has been completely forgotten. This is why sometimes people turn a blind eye... But that day I simply couldn't as this kid was in a bit of bother.

And that's why we must take the fight right up to these mugs. Job well done mate!

Gecko17
28th June 2014, 09:19 PM

You have my respect Hodgy! It is such a hard thing to do.... standing up for what is right. There are so many that shout from the back about what they would do as they rapidly retreat...

krbrooking
29th June 2014, 09:26 PM
This sort of thing enrages me. A mates wife is a social worker and yes like said before the stories are just pitiful. I also know someone that was going through a separation during which the mother posed pregnant (in court) just to get it delayed and nothing happened to her, not a thing. On top of it all her own mother was trying to have the child removed from her custody alongside the father and the courts still ruled in her favour. Just shocking.

my third 256
30th June 2014, 08:31 AM
looked after great niece on friday for 4 hours she is 2 by myself
had forgotten how hard it was
glad to give her back to her mum
atleast there was no dirty nappies LOL

mudski
30th June 2014, 08:33 PM
"Eye for an eye" law should be bought in I reckon. Stuff capital punishment, let the victim's family deal with it in which way they please.
I would take soooo much pleasure in beating the living shit out of the mother, and father with the same pipe that was used to kill this little child, and would gladly sit there for days/ weeks watching them slowly die.
Giving your own kid a smack on the backside to bring them into line is one thing, beating them is another.

Stupid thing is, they will be thrown into jail, and will be protected from the other inmates. FFS!!!!

NP99
30th June 2014, 08:39 PM
"Eye for an eye" law should be bought in I reckon. Stuff capital punishment, let the victim's family deal with it in which way they please.
I would take soooo much pleasure in beating the living shit out of the mother, and father with the same pipe that was used to kill this little child, and would gladly sit there for days/ weeks watching them slowly die.
Giving your own kid a smack on the backside to bring them into line is one thing, beating them is another.

Stupid thing is, they will be thrown into jail, and will be protected from the other inmates. FFS!!!!

Can I be your tag team partner? I too would enjoy revenge for that little tacker.