PDA

View Full Version : Helpppp!!!! White smoke

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so I'll start off by saying Hi to everyone. Don't want to be rude so Hello all.

Ok I am currently having issues with my 2000 gu patrol. I have a check engine light on the dash and it's got me stumped.

When at stand still and revving it Boggs down at around 2000rpm and blow a lot of white smoke. I have checked the fuel and replaced fuel filter and that does not seem to be the issue.

It's a rough ride when cold but when warmed up it drives pretty well until around 60km/h. It then becomes sluggish (like there is no turbo). I have managed to get it to 100km/h ( no white smoke at this point) but it takes a long time. I drove around 50km out of town at 100km/h and after that the troll wouldn't go any faster than 80/h (averaging 50km/h home) and blowing a lot of white smoke.

I don't know if any modification would be causing the problem. Here is a list of mods I have on the vehicle though:
-Roo systems chip and exhaust
-tug welded taipan xp inter cooler
-blanked egr

Any help would be great thanks :D

Regards,
Dwayne

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 04:53 PM
Tig welded^

kevin07
27th June 2014, 05:16 PM
go to the top right hand corner and search white smoke.

threedogs
27th June 2014, 05:40 PM
white smoke is water isn't it

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 05:44 PM
Yea I've heard it's water. I'm just not sure were it is. Like I said I've check fuel and I can't see any problem resulting to head gasket. Unless I'm missing something...

threedogs
27th June 2014, 05:47 PM
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor not that I think that's the cause but it will be one less thing to check.
Is it possible to run some fuel into a jar to see if water is present

does it smell of coolant

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 05:50 PM
Yea I've discounted, pulled put and cleaned maf. I did the clear container check twice to be sure. No problems there. Typing "White smoke" into search doesn't help me much either. Can't really see one that stands out anyway...

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 05:51 PM
Disconnected*^ . Apple auto correct will be the death of me.

firm351
27th June 2014, 05:55 PM
Water can be the cause of white smoke, if the smoke doesn't smell really diesely that could be your issue but you would have noticed you were loosing water i reckon.

White smoke if it has a diesely smell is caused by unburnt fuel particles coming out the exhaust. Simplest thing to check is that the air cleaner isn't clogged then i would be doing a compression test, sounds to me you may have a dead cylinder or two.

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 06:12 PM
It does have a funny smell. Well doesn't smell like usual burnt fuel anyway. Yea I had a scanner out on it but it was saying "bad fuel timing". It did not tell me what the fault code was or what was causing it though. Are there any guides on the air cleaner problem?

macca86
27th June 2014, 06:16 PM
Injector pump maybe? That's what mine was

macca
27th June 2014, 06:45 PM
A mate had power troubles and it was a blocked snorkel. We wedged the air cleaner open and it ran a treat, it turned out to be a sh!t load of leaves caught in a bend where the snorkel goes through the guard.

All I can think of is air not getting into engine.

Dwayne Westwood
27th June 2014, 06:51 PM
Or did you mean air filter? Because I've checked that and not a problem
At all.

firm351
27th June 2014, 06:55 PM
Are there any guides on the air cleaner problem?

Just check the filter is not clogged with dirt or oil and make sure there aren't any restrictions any where in the intake system.

I had a little work truck once it had the air intake on the back of the cab, driving along one day and was loosing power and blowing white smoke, it turned out to be a piece of plastic that was in the tray was getting sucked onto the air intake and restricting the flow.

macca
27th June 2014, 07:21 PM
Or did you mean air filter? Because I've checked that and not a problem
At all.
I meant the pipe work of the snorkel. Take the lid off the air filter take the filter out as well and give it a run. We push a vacuum cleaner hose in the snorkel pipe from each end to be sure there is no build up of leaves etc. Do that first, to be sure no crap enters the engine.

macca
28th June 2014, 08:50 AM
Check all the air passage pipe work, This is exactly what happened to a mates car. His was blocked where the snorkel goes through the body work as the 2 90 degree bends caused stuff to get caught there. No power and white smoke like you, we put a stick across the lid of the air cleaner box and the air entered there not through the snorkel. It ran perfect so we knew something was wrong in the snorkel itself, he took a big handful of litter out and its been fine ever since.

At least you can eliminate that as your problem.

Dwayne Westwood
29th June 2014, 04:24 PM
Great, I'll definitely be looking into the snorkel and air intake side of things next time I have a look over the car. Thanks everyone for the help, I'll post again to say if this was the problem.

Dwayne Westwood
30th June 2014, 08:50 AM
No luck with the snorkel and air pipe lines. Everything seems to be fine... Still no signs of water at all... Maybe I could be looking at a bigger issue like injector pump or cylinders...

macca
30th June 2014, 09:20 AM
Damn that's a bugger

Hodge
30th June 2014, 10:57 AM
Have you tried disconnecting three Roo chip ???

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner

Dwayne Westwood
30th June 2014, 02:57 PM
Yea I disconnected it from the battery but that pretty much disables throttle so I couldn't rev it up. I reconnected to to the battery and just disconnected the serial port from the chip. This did not have any effect at all...

Avo
30th June 2014, 08:53 PM
here the link.. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12450-Why-Diesels-Smoke

DilboBaggins
3rd July 2014, 07:56 PM
My brothers 99 2.8lt turbo diesel patrol was blowing wbite smoke with a blueish tindge. Turns out the waste gate on the turbo was stuck open. Had to buy a new turbo

Beni C
4th July 2014, 12:21 PM
Unburnt diesel I reckon. I am having the same problem with cold starts so have just ordered a new set of glow plugs, been cranking CEM's FTC Decarbonizer as well. I would be looking at fuel system issues if I was you.

FNQGU
6th July 2014, 09:06 AM
I had that issue. White smoke at start up, and a rough idle until warm. It was one of the glow-plugs.

I don't think this explains all of the symptoms above though.

FNQGU
10th July 2014, 09:56 AM
Along the lines of what Macca suggested, have you checked out your lift pump as well?

I'm not so familiar with the setup on yours but on my old chev, the lift pump is down on the chassis and maintains pressure to the system (someone more technical could explain it better). It played up a while ago and I found I was experiencing some minor surging. It turned out to be the electrical connections to the pump were old and dodgy. When that combined with the dud Glow Plug, it ran rough and blew some white smoke when cold. When I cleaned up the terminals on the pump, and found the faulty glow plug, adjusted the glow plug timing slightly etc., it went back to running as it should.

I'll replace the pump shortly just to be on the safe side. Just a thought...

boke
21st July 2014, 04:43 PM
Your model has the gauze filter that sits inside the fuel inlet into the injector pump - disconnect the fuel line & you need a hooked wire to reach inside pump & lift it out - looks like a thimble ... my BIL had this & had same symptoms

Davo65
26th July 2014, 12:59 AM
I had white smoke come out of mine once.......snapped the impeller shaft in the turbo

alexx
5th September 2014, 11:16 PM
is the white smoke resolved already?

nozzle tips could be injecting to much fuel, no longer in mist form.

changing them is the solution ,rebuilding injectors with new tips is cheapest.

Bush Ranger
12th September 2014, 10:21 PM
My first thought was extra air getting in some where with the fuel. Check the primer pump / lift pump, rubber fuel lines leading to it and replace need be. Check the rubber seal on the air cleaner lid and if rubber is missing bits here and there, go to Clark Rubber for a rubber replacement. Only going by what I have read some where else, where white smoke has been blowing.