PDA

View Full Version : Provent 200 catch can filters

oddkid82
25th June 2014, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, I am wondering if it would be possible to clean the filter of my Provent catch can. Would using a degreaser and washing it work? I just can't see the price they want for a filter about $70 to $80. A bit pricey.

mudski
25th June 2014, 09:34 PM
Hey guys, I am wondering if it would be possible to clean the filter of my Provent catch can. Would using a degreaser and washing it work? I just can't see the price they want for a filter about $70 to $80. A bit pricey.

Hey Mate i find its best to use Petrol. It really cleans the filter well. Just make sure its 100% dry before refitting. Like my K & N air filter. I change them over when they need a clean so the element has plenty of time to dry. Just makes the process that little bit faster too. I tried degreaser on the provent filter but it didn't clean it as well as the petrol did. Some just roll the element up in paper, so the paper soaks up the oil, that works but doesn't actually clean the filter. The petrol hasn't harmed the element in anyway too. Just make sure you dry it real good before you put it back in.
Theres many different ways, many different opinions on how and why. I have done mine this way for around 18months now on every 5K service and it works....

Cheers.
Mark.

oddkid82
25th June 2014, 10:37 PM
Cool thanks for the idea, I like the idea of a second one to swap over every time,so I'm not waiting on it to dry. Will just have to bite the bullet and get a second one.