PDA

View Full Version : detroit lockers!!

omy
25th June 2014, 08:37 PM
I can't seem to find much info on them, has anyone use them, are they good?
I like the idea that you don't need to turn them on unlike a air locker.

Crate
25th June 2014, 08:51 PM
Not sure I am allowed to do this but check out the other patrol forum, post 291 in the thread below:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/neville-nissan-leethal-gq-98274/index15.html

There is a bit of other information in that thread too if you go looking

omy
25th June 2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks mate :)

NissanGQ4.2
26th June 2014, 06:24 PM
Not sure I am allowed to do this but check out the other patrol forum, post 291 in the thread below:

You are more than welcome 2 post up info to other websites if the info can't be found on here

Crate
26th June 2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks mate, was a bit tongue in cheek, figured it would be ok :-)

omy will have to keep us updated on what he goes with!

NissanGQ4.2
26th June 2014, 07:39 PM
omy,

Its not mandatory but would be nice if you head over 2 the introduction section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig.

A link to the intro section can be found in my signature.

Cheers

Toddie

omy
29th June 2014, 06:25 PM
Will have a members ride up soon, just getting pics of the build :)

GRY60
23rd July 2014, 07:45 AM
the ditroit lockers work with the difference of torque betwenen the inividual weehls and some need special ol so they can work

liftlid
23rd July 2014, 08:33 AM
They are also pigs to drive on the road, especially if it's a manual tranny daily driver. Also there are time you don't want a locker on eg off camber situations.
Yes I have one.

Teccila
26th July 2014, 01:55 AM
Here is a Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE

FNQGU
26th July 2014, 06:49 AM
They are also pigs to drive on the road, especially if it's a manual tranny daily driver. Also there are time you don't want a locker on eg off camber situations.
Yes I have one.

I have one and I like it for what it is. Yes, in 4H on dirt roads it is a bit of a pig at any sort of speed. The answer for me has been to switch back to 2WD far more often than I used to. I don't feel like this has been any sort of handicap at all, and I imagine that it applies to all Auto-Lockers, not just the Detroit type. In the bush it has been a fantastic traction aid for what I do. Touring, camping, fishing in remote places...general stuff.

liftlid
26th July 2014, 11:25 AM
I have one and I like it for what it is. Yes, in 4H on dirt roads it is a bit of a pig at any sort of speed. The answer for me has been to switch back to 2WD far more often than I used to. I don't feel like this has been any sort of handicap at all, and I imagine that it applies to all Auto-Lockers, not just the Detroit type. In the bush it has been a fantastic traction aid for what I do. Touring, camping, fishing in remote places...general stuff.

You must have it in the front diff, mine was in the rear so it threw the car around on corners especially on tar roads to the point you have to be careful who drives your car, I would not put a auto locker in the front diff as it can't be turned off when 4wheel driving,

FNQGU
27th July 2014, 09:40 PM
yeah, mine is front diff. As I said, I like it and don't feel that I need to 'switch it off' when in the bush. Might just be the type of driving I do with it though. Not exactly comp stuff, but certainly some decent tracks every now and again.

My old man has one in the arse end of his 100 series and besides a clunk every now and again, he hasn't complained about it. He is a bit of an old woman driver though so might never get that feel you are referring to.

I'm not sure our comments above are anything specific to Detroit though, more just auto lockers in general. Some love em, some like the elockers and air-lockers. Each to their own, but now that I have had a locker (of any sort), I wouldn't go without one!

Lightspeed
2nd August 2014, 11:06 AM
You must have it in the front diff, mine was in the rear so it threw the car around on corners especially on tar roads to the point you have to be careful who drives your car, I would not put a auto locker in the front diff as it can't be turned off when 4wheel driving,

They reckon the latest Detroit EZ auto lockers that are fitted in the rear are so smooth now that you hardly notice its there even on the tar roads. How old is your Detroit auto locker if you don't mind me asking. Cheers

liftlid
2nd August 2014, 02:09 PM
They reckon the latest Detroit EZ auto lockers that are fitted in the rear are so smooth now that you hardly notice its there even on the tar roads. How old is your Detroit auto locker if you don't mind me asking. Cheers

I have the proper Detroit locker about 15 yrs old, just be careful when the terms Detroit , true track etc with units as some are promoted as a locker but are really only a limited slip,

Lightspeed
2nd August 2014, 03:21 PM
I have the proper Detroit locker about 15 yrs old, just be careful when the terms Detroit , true track etc with units as some are promoted as a locker but are really only a limited slip,

Yes I know, the tru track is like a LSD but the Detroit EZ locker is like the Lockrite & spartin auto lockers there heaps smoother now days.

liftlid
3rd August 2014, 11:02 AM
Yes I know, the tru track is like a LSD but the Detroit EZ locker is like the Lockrite & spartin auto lockers there heaps smoother now days.

I've been told a lock rite is known as a unlocker that is it un locks when needed eg turning, if that's the case you would have to at least question it's ability as a true locker.

92GQ
3rd August 2014, 01:40 PM
My mate's SWB Landcruiser has front and rear auto lockers and is very well behaved on the road and on the beach. If my GQ didn't have the awesome Nissan LSD I wouldn't hesitate to put one or two in my Patrol!