PDA

View Full Version : Im screwed, what size do I need

jackwalks
25th June 2014, 05:37 PM
Afternoon all,

I am hoping someone out there can tell me what size screw hole, and/ or screw this is. I have two holes in the right side engine bay, near the large set of fuses are that I want to use to mount my fuse box into. The screws that support the fuel filter fit nicely into these but I do not know what size I need to get.

If I could get some assistance with this please, that would be super.

Many Thanks

Adam

Bloodyaussie
25th June 2014, 05:41 PM
Do you mean bolts??? hard to say as I dont have one but M8 ???? actually looks more like M6

Just take one out from somewhere not vital and go to you local bolt bloke.

Hodge
25th June 2014, 05:41 PM
Mate in a similar situation what I done, is visit the nut 'n bolt shop, and just asked the bloke if I can try some guess sizes till I found one that fits, then bought them.

jackwalks
25th June 2014, 05:45 PM
Do you mean bolts??? hard to say as I dont have one but M8 ???? actually looks more like M6

Just take one out from somewhere not vital and go to you local bolt bloke.

Cheers mate, yes bolts/ screws same but different :) My topic heading would not have sounded the same if I had: Im bolted.

Mate in a similar situation what I done, is visit the nut 'n bolt shop, and just asked the bloke if I can try some guess sizes till I found one that fits, then bought them.

I will try that over the weekend, many thanks for the idea

MudRunnerTD
25th June 2014, 06:42 PM
The bolts that hold the fuel filter on a TD42 are 8mm x 1.25.

I stripped one yesterday and had to retap it.

jff45
25th June 2014, 07:21 PM
At the risk of being pedantic, a 'set screw' is a bolt that has no shank i.e. the thread goes right up to the head.
Yeah, I know, we all call them bolts anyway.. :)

Col.T
25th June 2014, 07:43 PM
Muddy,
strippers are good, screws are good but where you've just been definitely aint
Be strong
Col