PDA

View Full Version : Long range sub-tank

Dr Gary
25th June 2014, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have information/experience on long range replacement sub-tank. Seems they are usually around 70 to 75 litres, so more than double the original. ARB does one but does not refit the stone guard--"the material is thicker so the guard is not needed" or so they say.
eBay say $1,100, ARB say $1,330 fitted.

threedogs
25th June 2014, 02:02 PM
I had a 75 lt AUX tank fitted by Brown Davis for $700 or there abouts,
I think you can get 150 lt main replacements , but 75lt plus the std 95lt tank
gives you well over 1000 Ks More than enough for any road in Australia

HuskyInAuz
25th June 2014, 02:14 PM
I opted for the 80L Brown Davis auxiliary tank per recommendations from a few folks on this forum, I just had it installed as I've run out of time. Other than the gauge being a little non-linear have had no issue yet.

threedogs
25th June 2014, 02:32 PM
after speaking with Kevin at BD the sender unit it negative off [empty]
so the gauge is not completely accurate over its journey. but empty is empty
and that's a good thing I cant put more than 75Ltrs in at any time

paulyg
25th June 2014, 05:52 PM
I have the 80L Brown Davis tank, seems to be of a very good quality, I was told the Gauge will not move until you get to the same level as the original tank when full then from there it will be accurate.

MEGOMONSTER
25th June 2014, 06:04 PM
I went with the LongRanger 80l sub tank replacement.
I have smashed it on rocks and only left I slight indentation.
Super pleased with it. But my sub tank fuel pump is not working at the moment. GRRRRRRR

rainsey
25th June 2014, 07:57 PM
Outback accessories Australia in Perth do a 170 litre replacement sub for the cab chassis.
Mine cost $1400 delivered from Perth to NSW and installed by Opposite Lock Gosford.

Made of 2mm plate steel. Very solid unit. Uses the same sendor unit as the original and after full transfer of fuel to the main, there is only around 5 or so litres left in it.

First refill after initial fill, after full transfer it took 172 litres to fill. Cannot complain about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HuskyInAuz
25th June 2014, 08:39 PM
I've filled the BD sub-tank twice now, both times I either filled it, slowly, stopped, filled the main and then returned to the aux to the 'half full' mark. The second time I transfered to that same mark. I was just trying to determine what was left based on a known marker, not that it was literally 40 liters. The variable here is the extension on the sending arm is part of the BD kit and during installation has some variance.

Now, I'm happy with the unit, I know what "half full" equates too, about 32-34 liters remaining and with the tank indeed have over 1000 km of range (unladen).