PDA

View Full Version : Gu 3.0l Belt Tensioner

ptcb
24th June 2014, 10:31 AM
G'day all, I'm after a new Belt Tensioner and Belt. Are these any good. Seem pretty cheap;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Drive-Belt-Tensioner-Pulley-Belt-SET-Patrol-GU-3-0TDi-ZD30-DDI-00-07-/261330323708?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd88048fc

threedogs
24th June 2014, 12:30 PM
I have that one but only carry it as a spare, so looking forward to what others say
Pretty sure their gear is ok

BillsGU
24th June 2014, 03:11 PM
Yep - I bought one and it is on the Patrol at the moment. Printed the information and showed it to my mechanic and he now buys heaps of them. He says they are fine.

mudski
24th June 2014, 06:10 PM
I was going to buy them from where that seller gets them from to sell in my store. I got one sent to me last December to test out. The smaller shocker just failed on it two weeks ago. So now I'm not going to sell them. The other difference is the aftermarket tensioner uses a single row bearing in the pulley wheel, it's also 2 mm narrower than the OEM bearing. The OEM pulley uses a double row bearing...
I would really only buy this as a spare unit in my opinion.
I have photos of the two tensioners side by side if pics are needed.

ptcb
24th June 2014, 08:55 PM
Well Mudski, that did it for me! Can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent one? Thanks for the help guys.

mudski
24th June 2014, 09:04 PM
Buy one of these as a spare for sure and keep it under your seat. That's what I did, but with an OEM one, as I was road testing this cheaper one. As where to buy. I found Thompson motor group in Shepparton, Victoria, the cheapest around here.
Yes they are expensive but from my findings they are better. Although I am surprised the pulley bearing is still good. I'm still running the aftermarket bearing just to see how long it will last.

BillsGU
24th June 2014, 09:37 PM
Didn't check the trip meter reading but it was at least 10,000 kms and all is well. If the bearing is the problem then surely you can just go to a bearing supplier and insert a better bearing, and still get it for far less than the original?

mudski
24th June 2014, 09:55 PM
Didn't check the trip meter reading but it was at least 10,000 kms and all is well. If the bearing is the problem then surely you can just go to a bearing supplier and insert a better bearing, and still get it for far less than the original?

The bearing is still going. The dampener is what died...Plus the lower bush on the dampener is a bit lose as well. Since fitting the tensioner I have clocked just over 130000ks. Also the double row bearing of the same dimensions as the OEM one is very difficult to get. (I did this exercise not long after first buying my Patrol and throwing its first belt). Hence why the aftermarket unit uses a single row bearing that any bearing shop sells. You can buy a bearing that is 2 mm wider than the OEM bearing but it offsets the pulley from memory.
It just could be I got a dud tensioner and that's just it. Nothing more, nothing less. Could happen to any brand of, anything I suppose.