PDA

View Full Version : Front end failure

jimt
23rd June 2014, 10:54 PM
Was coming home form recent trip on a left hand bend two kids and wife in car, camper trailer on back Hume Hwy doing 110 when car began shaking
by the time i touched the brake did a sharp left off the road up an embankment over a few white poles and came to rest gently against the base of a
very large tree.
Has anyone ever seen this before ?

Needless to say after near death experience have lost a bit of confidence in car
any suggestions ???

NP99
23rd June 2014, 11:01 PM
Glad you're ok mate, nasty experience. It looks like a faulty or worn bush...have they been replaced lately, any work been done on the suspension?

MudRunnerTD
23rd June 2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah bugger, you are missing the nut and a very large washer the same size as that bush.

That is the lower bush on the front Panard Rod and yes that would have sucked coming off at 100kmh.

jimt
23rd June 2014, 11:16 PM
Had all bushes replaced by mechanic 6 months previous cost over 1k thought i would do some prep before trip?

NP99
23rd June 2014, 11:19 PM
Had all bushes replaced by mechanic 6 months previous cost over 1k thought i would do some prep before trip?

Bingo....I'd be having some words with them. I hate doing it, but after I get any work done, I go over it and check they tighten and replace correctly. We shouldn't have to, but in a lot of cases it's a wise action.

mudnut
23rd June 2014, 11:55 PM
Had that exact failure happen at lower speeds on a dirt road, when I braked and turned to avoid a kangaroo about 6-12 mths after buying the Patrol. Luckily for me all that happened was the front end started to weave all over the place and I braked as I mounted the edge of the road. The only explanation I can think of is the idiot the car yard hired to do the road worthy placed the dished washer on the wrong way, so the poly bush loosened the nut as it swiveled. The washer should have the dish (concave) facing out towards the nut so the centre clamps tightly on metal when done up. You should go get a Tatts ticket, mate.

Ben-e-boy
24th June 2014, 09:43 AM
Bingo....I'd be having some words with them. I hate doing it, but after I get any work done, I go over it and check they tighten and replace correctly. We shouldn't have to, but in a lot of cases it's a wise action.

What? After 6 months and it is a mechanics fault.....hardly.
Long trips should involve at least a visual inspection and a check for tension whilst on the trip.

They are nolathane bushes too. Another good reason to junk them and use genuine rubber

Bloodyaussie
24th June 2014, 09:53 AM
Long trips should involve at least a visual inspection and a check for tension whilst on the trip.

They are nolathane bushes too. Another good reason to junk them and use genuine rubber

I totally agree with that Ben... before doing any big trips and also after a big trip it pays to go over the car... I like to give the car a really good clean and just take my time trying to look over everything.

Sometimes I grab my trolley thing and have a lie down under the car for awhile just having a good slow look and a think and ponder while under there, its amazing what you can be staring at for ages before you notice something is wrong with a part.

I am so glad you have come out of this experience unscathed...

MudRunnerTD
24th June 2014, 09:56 AM
Yep I agree with Bene here. A slight mechanical failure 6 months into a trip is wear and tear, especially when a plata e bushes are involved.

Certainly a visual over the car would have identified that the nut was missing off the panard. Disapointing I know, fortunate that no one was injured certainly but I would just say Bugger! That was lucky! Get it replaced and go over the rest of your car on your 6 monthly service.

Good luck mate. Have a great trip.

macca
24th June 2014, 10:46 AM
I know its probably over the top, before a trip I do the above mentioned visual and take some spanners with me and check what I can.

While I'm there I mark all the nuts/ to threads / to chassis etc. with a yellow paint pen.

During the trip I slip on some overalls and have a good look, if any of the marks don't line up there is a problem.

Last year on the Canning I found the front spring hanger bolt had moved and took a minute to tighten it and remark it.

We ask a lot from our vehicles and they do need some TLC.

I have been told never use those poly type bushes. Always fit OEM rubber and they don't need or like grease.

Experienced 2 poly bushe fails on the Canning too.

Glad you and your family are OK, and get the car repaired so you can trust it again.

NP99
24th June 2014, 10:54 AM

6 months of what type of driving? It could have been poor mech labour. Not saying it is, but there are enough poor mechs out there to suggest it might have been sloppy work. I'm not going to debate it, just saying!

Ben-e-boy
24th June 2014, 12:34 PM
6 months of what type of driving? It could have been poor mech labour. Not saying it is, but there are enough poor mechs out there to suggest it might have been sloppy work. I'm not going to debate it, just saying!

It dosnt matter what kind of driving, that is wear and tear, different story if it happened 6 days after replacment.

jimt
24th June 2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Im still pretty new to this caper. I do carry tools and now am doing regular visual checks.
Kids and Missus still twitchy every time we hit a serious bump though

Ben-e-boy
24th June 2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Im still pretty new to this caper. I do carry tools and now am doing regular visual checks.
Kids and Missus still twitchy every time we hit a serious bump though

Junk every nolathane or non-genuine bushes and replace them with genuine rubber, at least then, the bushes will show signs of wear and degrade over time, nolathane will fail with little to no warning

threedogs
24th June 2014, 01:31 PM
For some that aren't as mechanical as others it may pay to get someone who knows about Nissans aside from a Nissan service centre.
More a 4x4 shop and book it in twice a year to go up on a hoist and ask the mechanic if you could look as well as he points out things to watch.
Not all ppl here are mechanical minded or for that matter handy with tools.
I'm sure they will let you look at no extra charge lol so you can get a bit more familiar with whats what , and what goes where
It will give you more confidence as well

mudnut
24th June 2014, 01:35 PM
To throw a fly in the ointment, of the argument that it was wear and tear: In the first year of owning the Old Trol, it would sit in the carport for weeks on end. I would've only done a few thousand Ks at the most. And except for one rough trip most of the driving was into town and back.

NP99
24th June 2014, 06:34 PM
Jimt, take it back to the workshop. Speak with the mechanic........

http://www.nolathane.com.au/warranty

Is there a head butt icon????

NP99
24th June 2014, 06:36 PM
Had that exact failure happen at lower speeds on a dirt road, when I braked and turned to avoid a kangaroo about 6-12 mths after buying the Patrol. Luckily for me all that happened was the front end started to weave all over the place and I braked as I mounted the edge of the road. The only explanation I can think of is the idiot the car yard hired to do the road worthy placed the dished washer on the wrong way, so the poly bush loosened the nut as it swiveled. The washer should have the dish (concave) facing out towards the nut so the centre clamps tightly on metal when done up. You should go get a Tatts ticket, mate.

Yep....Bingo, mechanical error!

Ben-e-boy
24th June 2014, 07:52 PM
Yep....Bingo, mechanical error!

Yep, considering they are 2 different scenerios, minimal km some on a rough road after replacement versus pre trip maintenance, a big trip and failure at the end.

Head but away.

jimt
24th June 2014, 08:45 PM
Its a daily drive towing my tool trailer to building sites. Would have done 4000km before trip and 3500 on trip before front end let go.