PDA

View Full Version : Engine fault lamp, temp guage on high

shayno72
22nd June 2014, 02:37 PM
Hi there,

i was driving on Friday no problems, when i went to accelerate to pass a scooter i started to hiccup/surge and it sounded like the motor was gonna choke out and stop. i was able to get home as she ran smooth as long as i didn't go above 2000rpm when it would do the hiccup/surge/choke thing, (limp mode i assume/hope). the engine fault lamp is on, and the temp gauge is sittin on high permanantly, even after being shut off for a while it runs straight back up to high as soon as ignition is turned on and stays there when motor started. ive checked coolant levels, there fine, and the fan is working. so im thinkin/hoping it might be a dodgy thermostat, temp gauge or maybe pump. but im not sure which would set of limp mode and engine fault.

any ideas?

mudnut
22nd June 2014, 05:05 PM
G'day shayno, and welcome to the forum. What year vehicle and type of engine is it?

Edit, I see in your intro thread it is a 2009 CRD.

Col.T
22nd June 2014, 07:18 PM
Also Shane, is it untouched, bog stock standard or have a few upgrades/changes been made?
Is the 'high' temp. reading different to what it 'always' was or are you new to the wagon and just think it looks higher than previous cars?
My 08 sits on halfway on the temp. guage which is higher than my previous petrol engines but the same as my last 4.2GQ. Seems diesels run hotter and because of a heavier block hold their temp. for much longer.
My only engine light turned out to be a bodgy cam. position sensor which you'd only find out via the on board diagnostic (OBD) system.
God luck
Col

shayno72
22nd June 2014, 08:08 PM
hi guys.

yeah its pretty much bog stock, no engine mods or such. its an auto, which i didn't mention. normally its always run with temp about halfway. now the gauge is always at max high, and goes there even without having run the engine. there's no chips or anything.

Dales300exc
22nd June 2014, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a possible sender/gauge fault and engine limp due to computer thinking its cooking.

shayno72
22nd June 2014, 08:18 PM
That's sort of where i'm at, i hope.

schanmala
24th June 2014, 04:58 PM
check fuel lines and fuel filter. could be blocked

use genuine only.

Col.T
24th June 2014, 07:49 PM
Dunno,
blocked lines or filter would still not run the temp guage to max. on starting I'm thinking.
Looks like a stuffed sensor or guage more likely
Col