PDA

View Full Version : flexi flairs curling at the ends

scubasteve
21st June 2014, 05:43 PM
Just changed out the garden edging flairs on thr mav for some proper flexi flairs I got given from arb. Ive finished putting them on today and they look heaps better but the ends seem to want to curl in. I think it may be the support wire thats in the edge as I have run it the whole way down. I dont want to cut it short thinking that it will fix the problem only to stuff the flairs up so what do you guys suggest?

Clunk
21st June 2014, 05:56 PM
Photos?????

Oh and a couple of beers to help the brain matter start flowing

scubasteve
21st June 2014, 08:18 PM
Photos?????

Oh and a couple of beers to help the brain matter start flowing

Pictures are a bit shady because its dark but you get a bit of an idea. As for the beers heres a photo of one of mine lol

MudRunnerTD
21st June 2014, 09:15 PM
You need to cut the wire at least 75mm to 100mm short at both ends and then install a stainless self tapper up the hole. If you don't do this then the wire will vibrate out of the flare with very little vibration and you will end up with 100mm of high tensile wire ready to stab your leg or your front tyre. This is a MUST DO! This should also fix your curl problem.

Clunk
21st June 2014, 09:35 PM
^^^^^^^and there you have it..... have a couple of bears and the question gets answered see, works every time lol

scubasteve
21st June 2014, 11:06 PM
You need to cut the wire at least 75mm to 100mm short at both ends and then install a stainless self tapper up the hole. If you don't do this then the wire will vibrate out of the flare with very little vibration and you will end up with 100mm of high tensile wire ready to stab your leg or your front tyre. This is a MUST DO! This should also fix your curl problem.

Thanks alot mate sounds like a go ill fix it up in the morning. Once again the quality of the forum shines

hellfish
28th June 2014, 08:32 AM
I also made a couple of little brackets and put a slight fold in them to kick it out a bit further
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/pb72/IMG_0219_zps205b9968.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/pb72/media/IMG_0219_zps205b9968.jpg.html)

scubasteve
28th June 2014, 07:12 PM
I also made a couple of little brackets and put a slight fold in them to kick it out a bit further

Looks like ill have to do this too as trimming the wire didnt fix the curl. Is your bracket only held on with one screw?

mudnut
28th June 2014, 07:17 PM
You might find that the bracket will bend the panel if it gets hit. Maybe use a bit of plastic that will flex and is easily replaced.

hellfish
30th June 2014, 05:34 PM
Looks like ill have to do this too as trimming the wire didnt fix the curl. Is your bracket only held on with one screw?

Yes mine are held on with just one screw, just a little self tapper, I made them out of 2mm aluminum, I've taken a couple of hits which has bent the brackets but no panel damage, yet:SNruQWn369624407: