PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Position Sensor Problems RD28ti

Shaunous
20th June 2014, 07:00 PM
Hi All,
Hoping someones had there engine apart before or at least has any info on my problem.

After spending 3 hours stuck in the ghetto of the Gold Coast after my patrol (1998 GU RD28ti) went absolute spastic, engine light on (MIL) and the engine revving from flatout revs back to nothing, back to normal then shuts off, this went on for a while but got us back to where we were staying. Next morning I got up to diagnose and after stuffing around for 3 hrs checking fuel system, electric's etc. I worked out the Crankshaft Position Sensor was stuffed. I unplugged the harness at the sensor and this got me back home to Northern NSW, with the Engine Light obviously stuck on the whole trip. I have since plugged the harness back in and confirmed its the sensor as the engine doesnt even start now.

I bought a new sensor, $121 Trade price and went on fitting it to the car, arsehole of a job cause you have to move the power steer motor mounts to do it. After removing the old one and checking, somethings been grinding a mark straight through it. I squeezed my finger up the hole where the sensor takes its reading from the crank or oil pump (not sure, as the sensor is mounted on the side of the oil pump), I could feel a thin steel plate, just floating inside.

Would anyone know what this plate is?
What does the sensor read? Oil pump or crank or ???
Do I need to lift/remove the engine and remove the sump to get the oil pump off to get to this, or can the oil pump just be removed on its own after removing the crank pulley?

Any help would be appreciated, I've spend nearly an hour trying to get the water pump/fan hub off and it must be somehow seized on, im smashing the fan hub(it had to be replaced anyway) with a small sledge hammer and a steel rod, and it will not budge at all, and yes I have removed the 4 nuts and washers on the hub that hold it on.

I ended up wanting to set the car on fire, so before I did I grabbed a beer and come inside, and here I sit :)

Cheers,
Shaun.

NP99
20th June 2014, 09:55 PM
Shaun, the auto sparkies and oil burner guys will answer your questions, they normally appear here late. Good luck with it all mate...

Shaunous
21st June 2014, 11:26 AM
Let's hope so NP99

Going back out now to attack this damn water pump pulley and fan hub, how it's so seized is beyond me.

Shaunous
21st June 2014, 06:37 PM
Anyone?

I'll be taking the thing to bits anyway, but thought someone might have had the same problem or similar.

NP99
21st June 2014, 10:43 PM
Bump....come on you oil burner blokes! :)