PDA

View Full Version : Won't start

Cossy69
19th June 2014, 07:41 PM
Hi trying to help my dad. He has an old 1990 gq patrol that stopped and won't restart. I found it didn't have spark and the points were burnt out. Points relaxed still won't start. No spark. ??

Avo
19th June 2014, 07:46 PM
are you trying to get spark when turning the motor over or you can try to open and shut points with ignition on to see if there is spark at them..if you have spark at points some people talk about an extended rotor button..not sure where but if you type that in you may find the thre3ad and hopefully the answer..

cheers

GQ TANK
19th June 2014, 09:41 PM
Put a multi meter on the positive of the coil - you should see between 8 - 13 volts depending if you still have a ballast resistor fitted. You should see a simaler volts on the negative.

No Volts on the positive of the coil - check on the other side of the ballast - if its fitted - should be around 12 volts ignition on.

You may have burnt the coil out if the points where arked together.

The extended rotar button helps to prevent a rough idle - a stand button should still give a spark.

People have also had problems with a faulty taco putting a short across the coil.

GQ TANK
19th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Put a multi meter on the positive of the coil - you should see between 8 - 13 volts depending if you still have a ballast resistor fitted. You should see a simaler volts on the negative. (if the points are open)

No Volts on the positive of the coil - check on the other side of the ballast - if its fitted - should be around 12 volts ignition on.

You may have burnt the coil out if the points where arked together.

The extended roar button helps to prevent a rough idle - a stand button should still give a spark.

People have also had problems with a faulty taco putting a short across the coil.

Cossy69
19th June 2014, 10:11 PM
There is spark at the points and voltage at coil but no spark at the coil lead. The lead it self is fine so I don't seem to be getting anything out of the coil. I have tried a spare coil same thing unless it is stuffed as well.

Cossy69
22nd June 2014, 05:47 PM
There is spark at the points and voltage at coil but no spark at the coil lead. The lead it self is fine so I don't seem to be getting anything out of the coil. I have tried a spare coil same thing unless it is stuffed as well.

I have rewired wiring from the dissy to the coil to the wiring loom from ignition because some wiring was hard and cracked and I thought it maybe be a short as the wiring from the doody started smoking. But this still didn't work and I still have no spark???

Yendor
22nd June 2014, 06:15 PM
With your voltmeter positive lead connected to the negative side of the coil and the negative side of your voltmeter connected to the negative battery post, what are the reading?...........Ignition on

Points open?

Points closed?