PDA

View Full Version : wiring cb radio directly to battery

wykenrico
18th June 2014, 10:21 PM
just bought a uhf cb radio it comes with an inline fuse i want to wire it directly to battery so that i can use it even when ignition is off. but im completely new to electric stuff so im comfused when people just say 'wire it directly to the battery'. I mean, what do u actually do? solder the wire onto a new ring terminal to put it onto the battery terminal? or just tap the wire into the existing wires that is already connected to the battery terminal????? dont feel like touching other wires at all dont want to break anything......

cheers

Family4x4
18th June 2014, 10:35 PM
Ring terminals and attach to existing battery terminal.

thebrod
18th June 2014, 10:40 PM
If it were me doing it I would run a wire from the battery with a ring terminal (I always use the crimp ones). Make sure that there is a fuse as close to the battery as practical. That way if something goes wrong (ie the insulation chafes through and it shorts out) then the fuse near the battery will blow and stop the car from potentially catching on fire.
Alternatively you could find a wire under the dash that has power when the key is off and tap into that.

Cheers

Adam

threedogs
19th June 2014, 09:36 AM
I ran some figure 8 from my AUX battery with a fuse near the battery to the UHF unit under the dash
so it is live all the time, even if I forget and leave it on the Patrol will start.
This also gave me an active wire for other accessories like a Baintech double USB outlet, again live all the time
great for charging the phone

Sir Roofy
19th June 2014, 09:38 AM
As above mate
it does,nt draw enough to worry if
you leave it on over night

Hodge
19th June 2014, 10:24 AM
Mine is wire directly and its sat the for a 2 weeks once and didn't drain.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner

BillsGU
19th June 2014, 11:17 AM
I prefer it wired directly as it's a pain when you are using it and turning the car off and on all the time. I bought a new positve battery terminal with a number of connectors on it to connect equipment directly. I won't change it now but if I had to do it again I would buy a quality terminal block (the marine ones they sell at boat shops are good quality) and bolt it under the engine bay (probably up near the fire wall). I would then run a serious lead from the battery to it and then connect accessories to that. I would even buy a second one for the auxillary battery. Lots of leads going to the battery are a pain. ALWAYS make sure you have a fuse in the circuit.

threedogs
19th June 2014, 12:44 PM
I like to leave the start battery for just that, starting. Last thing you want is a flat battery

As Bill suggests buy a terminal block run the right size wire to it via your AUX battery then you
can run what you like from the Aux battery all fused ready to good, neat as well

Col.T
19th June 2014, 07:29 PM
G'day Wickie,
as all above BUT to emphasize, fuze as close as you can to the battery.
From one who had an 'expert' do what you're doing and later had to put the fire out. Baby, was that close!
regards,
Col