PDA

View Full Version : 35" on GQ what lift kit to use

omy
17th June 2014, 01:21 PM
Hi guys,

New to 4x4 scene, I have a GQ LWB wagon that I am about to mod, I would like to run 35" tyres, what lift kit would I need to give it clearance? Thinking 4" all round with no body lift.

89gqpatrol4x4
18th June 2014, 11:54 PM
hey mate jump over to the intro and put a post in there!

As for the lift on 35's, this a question I will never understand, If the tyre wont fit in the guard now on full flex it's not going to fit in the guard no matter what lift! I run 35's and cut both front and rear guards.

healy
19th June 2014, 09:35 AM
I run a 2" lift &2" bodylift works great with 35s

makeitfit
19th June 2014, 09:44 AM
Yep 35s here too . Simple 2" susp lift and 2" body lift works for me ;)

omy
19th June 2014, 09:09 PM
So a 4" susp lift will be the same as 2" body + 2" susp?

BigRAWesty
19th June 2014, 09:41 PM
You'll have to really watch your compression length and extend the bump stops to suit.

taslucas
19th June 2014, 09:53 PM
So a 4" susp lift will be the same as 2" body + 2" susp?

Nah not the same. Suspension lift will increase the distance between the axle and chassis whereas a body lift increases the distance between the chassis and the body.

omy
20th June 2014, 07:09 PM
What would I need to complete a 4" lift front and 5" lift rear? I want to go higher on the rear as I will be adding a long range Tank and two spares tyres!

Drewboyaus
20th June 2014, 08:20 PM
What would I need to complete a 4" lift front and 5" lift rear? I want to go higher on the rear as I will be adding a long range Tank and two spares tyres!

Big difference between 2 inch and 4 inch lift in what is needed.....
For 2 inch, springs and shocks is pretty much it.....
For 4 inch, adjustable panhards, swaybar extensions, springs, shocks, drag link (I think), caster correction (drop boxes, bushes, plates) extended brake lines and more.....
Also, you don't want 4 inch front and 5 inch rear, you want properly chosen 4 inch springs all round, designed to carry the weight you expect to have on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

omy
20th June 2014, 10:18 PM
So 4" all round with heavy duty springs in the rear?

Drewboyaus
20th June 2014, 11:04 PM
So 4" all round with heavy duty springs in the rear?

Yes mate. Add up the weight of all the accessories you intend to fit (not just the ones you have now) and use that calculation to select your spring rate.

mudski
23rd June 2014, 10:33 AM
Helluva lot cheaper going the 2inch spring lift and a 2inch body lift as to what drewboy mentioned you need. No point going a 4inch lift if you can do a body lift and cut the cost by a fair bit IMO.

threedogs
23rd June 2014, 01:45 PM
Plus it would need to be engineered for the 4" lift and 35" tyres.
Could end up being expensive

Drewboyaus
24th June 2014, 07:09 PM
Plus it would need to be engineered for the 4" lift and 35" tyres. Could end up being expensive

35's can't be engineered in Victoria. To remain roadworthy they are a no-go.....

omy
24th June 2014, 11:25 PM
With body lifts, I have read that it cracks the mounts over time?

omy
25th June 2014, 08:29 PM
I want to build the car to handle the cape, any other things susp wise will I need?

Rossco
26th July 2014, 01:06 PM
Big difference between 2 inch and 4 inch lift in what is needed.....
For 2 inch, springs and shocks is pretty much it.....
For 4 inch, adjustable panhards, swaybar extensions, springs, shocks, drag link (I think), caster correction (drop boxes, bushes, plates) extended brake lines and more.....
Also, you don't want 4 inch front and 5 inch rear, you want properly chosen 4 inch springs all round, designed to carry the weight you expect to have on board.

As Drew points out, there's a few things to think about. I would definitely go with the same front and rear estimating your weight first. You can always adjust ride height a little by using coil spacers once it's all set up. If you decide on a body lift there pro's and con's but don't forget you will have to change all your bar work to fit properly. Mounts can crack, Nylon is better as it gives a little flex and is still strong and if your mounts are in good nick you should be fine. As Drew points out there are roadworthy issues in Vic too to think about.

mandrake
9th August 2014, 08:02 PM
If 35" tires are used do you reckon the differential gears should be modified?

Drewboyaus
9th August 2014, 09:12 PM

Ideally, yes.

89gqpatrol4x4
9th August 2014, 09:18 PM

I haven't and my fuel economy sucks! But as far as power not as huge difference as with a non turbo not to much to start with lol! I would however look at a brake upgrade. The brakes are crap to start with and 35's make them worse.

mandrake
10th August 2014, 02:03 AM
I haven't and my fuel economy sucks! But as far as power not as huge difference as with a non turbo not to much to start with lol! I would however look at a brake upgrade. The brakes are crap to start with and 35's make them worse.
Thanks for the advice mate what breaks would you recommend based on your experience?

89gqpatrol4x4
10th August 2014, 10:33 PM
I haven't done mine yet as it is a toy, but slotted rotors and soft pads would be a start. Upgrading to twin piston calipers off a later gq. Or you could go all out and go a complete upgrade. There is a thread on the other forum where they use skyline brakes, Very expensive from memory though. They would be awesome though as I have a skyline and although the car is light the brakes are great!

timmay556
11th August 2014, 10:17 AM
There is also a mod where it uses your power steering pump to run your breaks. Massive difference. Search the other forums

Chappy
18th August 2014, 03:31 PM
I'm running 35's with a 3" Dobinson setup (springs, shocks, drop boxes, brake lines). I find with -22 rims and extended bump stops it rarely scrubs. I'm thinking of trimming my guards but I'm worried I'll make it look shiet though.

Patrolling Paddy
20th August 2014, 10:38 PM
Multiple options to fit 35s. What do you want to get out of your suspension? What type of driving do you intend to be doing? How much money do you want to throw at it? Do you want it engineered?
It's a patrol so there are way too many options to make it happen to give an easy answer.

Mine was 6" spring and 3" body with 35s on -22 rims. Standard GQ diffs. Later upgraded to GU diffs for the stronger CVs, better brakes and wider track. Suspension was more height than needed but has and still does work really well for me under all conditions.

89gqpatrol4x4
21st August 2014, 07:13 PM
wow! that setup must be fun on side slope!!!! And have you thought about 37's for that car or are 35's enough for what you want?

Patrolling Paddy
21st August 2014, 09:50 PM
I run 37s mostly now as it's pretty much a comp truck full time now. The 37s needed the guards chopped, even with the height and the front control arms pushed forward.
Don't be afraid of height and slopes.
With the 37s with -44 offset and GU diffs it has a very wide stance and is very stable, even at speed.
I did lay it over once with the 35s but it was doing about 20km/hr and wasn't really the lift but the track and conditions combined with the turn and the tyre rolling off the bead all at the same time.
Except for the 37s it was my daily and touring rig and was very comfortable, stable and drove sweet as. If it is set up right it will ride nice.
It is definitely not the most popular choice in set ups but as I said it works for me and I have had a few people comment on how it handles, both passengers and spectators.

89gqpatrol4x4
22nd August 2014, 01:50 AM
sounds good mate any photos/action shots?

nissannewby
22nd August 2014, 09:23 PM

Do you calculate the correction into your fuel usage calcs? 35s do far less rotations per km than a 31 which is what most patrols came with and the odo and trip is calibrated to suit.

Over 1km a 35 does nearly 60 less rotations than a 31.

89gqpatrol4x4
22nd August 2014, 11:40 PM
no i dont, i do realize it is more than what the odo says just can't be bothered to work it out haha!

nissannewby
23rd August 2014, 09:38 AM
no i dont, i do realize it is more than what the odo says just can't be bothered to work it out haha!

Its roughly 15% so on a tank where you get 500km you can add around 75km to the distance travelled.

Scorpiovee
8th September 2014, 10:38 AM
I ran a 3inch lift on my GQ wagon. King springs, matching shocks, extended brake lines, castor correction bushes, all included in the kit for around $800 from eBay. Disconnected the sway bars and adjusted the brake proportioning valve and fitted adjustable pan hard rod. Ran 35's without dramas. You might notice an increase in fuel consumption, for 2 reasons. 1, the tread design of your choice of tyre, in guessing somewhat aggressive and 2, the final gearing of you truck with the bigger tyres is altered. Even though each revolution of the drive shaft will put you further down the road, more power is needed to move you due to the higher gearing. Not unlike trying to ride a mountain bike in low gear compared to high gear.
The other thing to consider is the offset of the wheels you're choosing, as this will determine whether or not you'll experience tyre rub, especially when turning.
Hope this info is of use to you.

moza
24th October 2014, 12:38 PM
2" lift and 2" body save you a lot of money

superzuki
2nd November 2014, 06:35 PM
I have a 4 inch suspension lift and have trimmed the back of the front and rear guards. with 35x12.5 r 15s they still scrub a little when flexed.