PDA

View Full Version : Lightbar security

Ian2011
16th June 2014, 07:25 PM
Afternoon all,

I have recently purchased a 33in lightbar from that Action mob and was wondering how people prevent those amongst us that feel the need to liberate us of our hard earned products from getting away with it.

I understand that locknuts can be used for the standard nut bolt system but is there something people are using for allen key bolts or alternatively any other locking mechanism in use.

Thanks in advance.

93patrol
16th June 2014, 07:35 PM
Try using torx heads on your bolts

oncedisturbed
16th June 2014, 07:45 PM
Loctite the screws then burr the thread, only way to get them off is to cut them off

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 07:49 PM
You can get security bolts as well which are similar to a torx head in place of the Allen key. You can also get bolts that can only be done up and with a specific tool if you don't mind having to cut them off if or when you may need to then these are a good option

AB
16th June 2014, 07:58 PM
I normally use torx on majority of accessories but decided to burr the threads but a lot of light bars can be undone from the sides aswell where they pivot so consider that too.

Evo
16th June 2014, 07:59 PM
My lift and lack of access to my roof rack seems to work...

Evo

Ian2011
16th June 2014, 08:01 PM
I thought about the torx head but figured the thieves had cottoned on to that and would be prepared. Might have to look for those 'specific tool bolts' you mentioned Newby.

Ian2011
16th June 2014, 08:02 PM
Its the side bolts that I am worried about too, AB

AB
16th June 2014, 08:03 PM
I thought about the torx head but figured the thieves had cottoned on to that and would be prepared. Might have to look for those 'specific tool bolts' you mentioned Newby.

Yeah torx is not so anti vandal these days but it would hopefully stop an unplanned walk by thief who may only have a standard tool set "maybe".

lhurley
16th June 2014, 08:13 PM
If you don't plan on moving it, just use some permenant lock tight. It does come undone if need be, but it's not easy. Hopefully enough to stop a quick opertune attempt at your goodies.

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 08:24 PM
Yeah torx is not so anti vandal these days but it would hopefully stop an unplanned walk by thief who may only have a standard tool set "maybe".

There is an anti tamper torx style which requires a slightly different tool. The difference being the tool has a hole drilled in the centre of the torx and the bolt head has a pin so standard torx cannot be used but this stile torx can be bought at most tool shops.

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 08:25 PM
If you don't plan on moving it, just use some permenant lock tight. It does come undone if need be, but it's not easy. Hopefully enough to stop a quick opertune attempt at your goodies.

Yes this could work if you use the high strength retaining compound it would make disassembly quite difficult.

AB
16th June 2014, 08:38 PM
There is an anti tamper torx style which requires a slightly different tool. The difference being the tool has a hole drilled in the centre of the torx and the bolt head has a pin so standard torx cannot be used but this stile torx can be bought at most tool shops.

Like these ones?

This is what I have used all over my car. We use them in the playground industry.

happygu
16th June 2014, 08:39 PM

They are the ones I use, and my Baja Designs bar has been on there for three years....

Hodge
16th June 2014, 08:44 PM
That Torx style AB listed, is the type used for the MAF sensor on the CRD GU, I think.

Winnie
16th June 2014, 08:47 PM

Ohhhh so you mean my fuel tank might get stolen????

BigRAWesty
If the bolts are big enough I'd drill and roll pin..
Could also drill a hole in one of the fins and use steel fishing trace and a solid crimp and tie it onto the bar..

nissannewby
Like these ones?

This is what I have used all over my car. We use them in the playground industry.

Yes they are the ones.

They are the ones I use, and my Baja Designs bar has been on there for three years....

Yeah they are still a good thing and tooling would be outside most of the simple minded fools that steel our gear. I'm sure you could hook a very high voltage jolt to it and these clowns would prob get multiple shocks trying to take your gear lol.

AB
16th June 2014, 08:49 PM
Ohhhh so you mean my fuel tank might get stolen????

If mine leaks up at the Simpson there is a high probability of yours going missing...lol

Yeah mate, no ones stealing our aux tanks...lol

Ian2011
16th June 2014, 08:58 PM
Guess its Loctite and bolt shopping for me this weekend, thanks all for the good ideas. Might even do that steel trace just for extra insurance.

Hodge
16th June 2014, 09:02 PM
Not forgetting all this is for a deterent only... If somebody wants your stuff, they will get it. lol
My boss's lightforce spotties got ground off, in plain daylight at Bunnings in broadmeadows. LOL Yes you read right "Ground off"!. With those cordless tools of all types, growing in popularity, things like this are becoming common. He was a pure w***** anyway, so it was funny. But not very cool, as my car could be the next.

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 09:07 PM
Not forgetting all this is for a deterent only... If somebody wants your stuff, they will get it. lol
My boss's lightforce spotties got ground off, in plain daylight at Bunnings in broadmeadows. LOL Yes you read right "Ground off"!. With those cordless tools of all types, growing in popularity, things like this are becoming common. He was a pure w***** anyway, so it was funny. But not very cool, as my car could be the next.

I know these power tools are becoming more popular but was he like parked across the road in the bush or something that no one was a little sus lol.

Winnie
16th June 2014, 09:08 PM
I know these power tools are becoming more popular but was he like parked across the road in the bush or something that no one was a little sus lol.

I reckon you'd be surprised how many people would just simply walk past somebody doing that and acting naturally.

megatexture
16th June 2014, 09:09 PM
Depends where you mount it also, I put mine up on the bullbar and fitted the bolts in the top tube in a way that only a small socket can reach and I put sika flex over one of the bolts so it will be a pig to get off ... if they can, even I lost 2 bolts and almost a socket in there Fitting it.

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 09:10 PM
I reckon you'd be surprised how many people would just simply walk past somebody doing that and acting naturally.

I mean maybe it could be understandable if they cut them off and put them in the car they cut them off but to walk away with them.......

Hodge
16th June 2014, 09:12 PM

The keyword in there mate is, broadmeadows. For those who do not know, The place is a bronx, where anything can and does happen on a daily basis. Just walking down the street in plain daylight is like playing russian roulette. Nobody cares what happens to a human being, let alone to a car. lol
He was parked somewhat in the middle of a large parking lot, at lunchtime. They got the lights, UHF arial, and damaged bonnet in the process and the grinder must have slipped.

nissannewby
16th June 2014, 09:22 PM
I don't know about this Victoria place, patrols going missing left right and centre, lights getting stolen in broad daylight what's going on.....

Winnie
16th June 2014, 09:30 PM
I don't know about this Victoria place, patrols going missing left right and centre, lights getting stolen in broad daylight what's going on.....

They're from Melbourne so different again! I am going to Melbourne for work tomorrow night... Glad I'm not taking the patrol haha

Hodge
16th June 2014, 09:36 PM
They're from Melbourne so different again! I am going to Melbourne for work tomorrow night... Glad I'm not taking the patrol haha

Pop over to Thomastown for a beer mate. Your car will be safe. Honest.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner

Winnie
16th June 2014, 09:47 PM
I have been to Thomastown once before and it felt soooooooooooo wrong.

Hodge
16th June 2014, 09:51 PM
The side me and BA live on, is really nice though.

Winnie
16th June 2014, 09:55 PM
Even though Johnny gets a jerry can full of fuel stolen from his place every few weeks?

Hodge
16th June 2014, 10:04 PM
It's hard to show digital sarcasm mate. lol

Irish
17th June 2014, 11:28 AM
Instead of spending all your spondoolies on flash bolts and stuff, how about just putting a dab of weld on the thread? Sure it won't stop a motivated individual with an angle grinder, but it should deter your average scumbag or force em to make enough noise that you hear and give em a wee attitude adjustment.

menace 2
17th June 2014, 11:45 AM
I bought a set of lock nuts ...the same as for driving lights...I drilled out and used 8mm bolts with hex heads...still have to get stainless bolts yet because the black ones rust as you can see....you can also use nyloc nuts...just run them on a bolt first then put them on upside down and they wont come all the way off the bolt ...they just keep spinning

nissannewby
17th June 2014, 01:32 PM
Instead of spending all your spondoolies on flash bolts and stuff, how about just putting a dab of weld on the thread? Sure it won't stop a motivated individual with an angle grinder, but it should deter your average scumbag or force em to make enough noise that you hear and give em a wee attitude adjustment.

Electronics used in things like led light bars sometimes don't agree with welding. All good for the brackets and bolting them to wherever on your vehicle but not so good for the ones threaded into the housing of the bar itself.

threedogs
17th June 2014, 01:53 PM
think like a thief what would you be carry around, A six inch shifter a Phillips and flat screw driver and a pkt of tork tools.
I brought all new stainless bolts[hardware] drilled a hole through the nut and bolt then used a split pin
but the time they figure it out my dogs would have alerted me.

Ian2011
17th June 2014, 07:52 PM
think like a thief what would you be carry around, A six inch shifter a Phillips and flat screw driver and a pkt of tork tools.
I brought all new stainless bolts[hardware] drilled a hole through the nut and bolt then used a split pin
but the time they figure it out my dogs would have alerted me.

Unfortunately my dogs are a little small to be utilised as guard dogs unlike your profile picture Threedogs

lucus30
2nd July 2014, 02:38 PM
Here you go
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5337

Best way yet

threedogs
2nd July 2014, 04:41 PM

Unfortunately my dogs are a little small to be utilised as guard dogs unlike your profile picture Threedogs
All dogs will bark if something strange is happening. Are they dogs? lol
Avatar is Billy he's new to the family, Jack was the best man stopper on the planet
and a big sook as well

Not a fan of those special nuts all you need is a pair of multigrips.
Mate just had his light bar stolen and that was recessed into his bulbar.
If its out of sight silicon would be a good deterrent.
But for a bit of effort grinding a flat on the bolt then drilling a hole for a split pin
suits me

threedogs
2nd July 2014, 04:48 PM

All dogs will bark if something strange is happening. Are they dogs? lol
Avatar is Billy he's new to the family, Jack was the best man stopper on the planet
and a big sook as well

But for a bit of effort grinding a flat on the bolt then drilling a hole for a split pin
suits me

04OFF
2nd July 2014, 09:07 PM
I bought a set of lock nuts ...the same as for driving lights...I drilled out and used 8mm bolts with hex heads...still have to get stainless bolts yet because the black ones rust as you can see....you can also use nyloc nuts...just run them on a bolt first then put them on upside down and they wont come all the way off the bolt ...they just keep spinning

suits me

Correct 3D, but there is a even easier way to get those nuts off than multigrips, (im not saying how for obvious reasons) but I purchased some of those nuts for my Lightforce spotties, and tested the thief's way to remove the nuts, bugger me, it was faster and easier than using coded socket that came with the nuts ! :(

I run a few different security measures to make it friggin hard work to get my lights, Lock nuts, Shear nuts , and even then, all nuts/bolts are alarmed, oh and heaps of sikaflex to pick off just to see anything, gonna take me a week if I ever want to remove em (haha)

Biscuits
3rd July 2014, 08:01 PM
These guys may be the way to go www.sentinelgrp.com.au/product-line/

megatexture
3rd July 2014, 08:15 PM
Bloody expensive! But look good .. Specialy if you need to secure 100 bolts of the same size lol

Biscuits
3rd July 2014, 08:32 PM
fair call on the expesive bit... but I am almost positive that they start their discounts at 60%?

dads tractor
6th July 2014, 09:36 PM
Guys unfortunately we advertise all our goodies on the outside of our vehicles and the only way around this is too hide them .Mount your lights to a bar that lines up with your mounting points and wiring plugs so they are set for when u need them and the rest of the time they aren't there .

lucus30
10th March 2016, 09:02 AM
So trying to work out what to do for mine. I was thinking dab of weld on all the threads of the bracket and then weld a nut around the bolt for the lightbar so they can't get pliers onto them. Then I just need to fill the head with something or fill it with weld

Two things

As some one mentioned light bars don't like welding?

I've got flux core wire for mild steel would it be ok for a couple of quick dabs on the stainless bolts?

jay see
10th March 2016, 12:11 PM
Just remember if they really want something that take it.
I had a car stolen from my backyard when I was in my late teens. Car packed between house and garage behind closed gates. It was alarmed with a back up system. They still took it and parked it up around a few corners with no wheels on it.

But that was in the Northern suburbs.

threedogs
10th March 2016, 12:24 PM
If you have light bars that mount on the ends, then go buy some 6mm button head security bolts
The Allen key to suit will be the expensive part.
If mounted underneath or mounted pendulum style use castle nuts and split pins it will mean
drilling the bolts to suit, grind a small flat on the bolt and pin punch first