PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch for GU 3.0L

BadBoyBucky
16th June 2014, 06:09 PM
G'day all,

After the shock of being told I need a new clutch at only 32 thousand km's, I've started to do some research.

I'm considering the following: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xtreme-Clutch-Conversion-Clutch-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-Diesel-GU-ZD30D-8-04-onwards-/271172493602?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2323e122

Does this seem legit? I've never bought engine parts from ebay before.

I've read that there's a fair bit of disagreement over SMF/DMF, but if the missus has truly burnt out the DMF after only 32k I don't wanna have to go through this again any time soon.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Maxhead
16th June 2014, 06:25 PM
G'day all,

After the shock of being told I need a new clutch at only 32 thousand km's, I've started to do some research.

I'm considering the following: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xtreme-Clutch-Conversion-Clutch-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-Diesel-GU-ZD30D-8-04-onwards-/271172493602?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2323e122 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F705-53470-19255-0%2F1%3Fcampid%3D5336709507%26amp%3Btoolid%3D10001 %26amp%3Bmpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com.au %252Fitm%252FXtreme-Clutch-Conversion-Clutch-Kit-Nissan-Patrol-Diesel-GU-ZD30D-8-04-onwards-%252F271172493602%253Fpt%253DAU_Car_Parts_Accessor ies%2526amp%253Bhash%253Ditem3f2323e122)

Does this seem legit? I've never bought engine parts from ebay before.

I've read that there's a fair bit of disagreement over SMF/DMF, but if the missus has truly burnt out the DMF after only 32k I don't wanna have to go through this again any time soon.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

What model is yours??

I got 30k out of mine on a 2012 GU8 and did do the SMf conversion as well. It was the Exedy Tough one but not sure of the models. My total cost was $2000 in labour

So maybe it wasn't your missus (this time) LOL

Feels a lot better when towing and 4x4 but it does take a bit of getting used to. Still stall it occasionally:)

BadBoyBucky
16th June 2014, 06:30 PM
Ours is a 2012 GU7 bud. It might not have been the missus lol. We've towed a camper trailer up to QLD and back to Canberra, and a few other places, so seems like the SMF is the way to go. Thanks for letting us know how she went mate.

Maxhead
16th June 2014, 06:33 PM
Ours is a 2012 GU7 bud. It might not have been the missus lol. We've towed a camper trailer up to QLD and back to Canberra, and a few other places, so seems like the SMF is the way to go. Thanks for letting us know how she went mate.

Hmmm, bloody Nissan!!!

The service manager at Lennock Nissan had the hide to tell me"mate, you've done well I've seen them go at 10k to 15k"

Yeah, go the SMF and you won't look back...Good luck

happygu
16th June 2014, 06:42 PM
Bucky,

It isn't the DMF that causes the clutch to fail. The DMF is there to dampen vibrations through the driveline, and to smooth things out. They either fail or they are OK - basically two steel plates, with a bonding agent between them to glue them together, which absorbs some of the driveline harshness.

Towing whilst trying to get off the line on a steep hill is what kills the clutch, or slipping the clutch.

At 30,000, I would check the components and just change out the clutch if everything else is OK.

The DMF's will normally last 150,000 plus, so if you have only got 30,000 out of the first one it will be due another before you need to change the DMF.

Probably the best things to help with clutch life, would be to put a chip and/or exhaust on, to get some better low down torque to get the truck off the line easier

Maxhead
16th June 2014, 07:04 PM
Bucky,

It isn't the DMF that causes the clutch to fail. The DMF is there to dampen vibrations through the driveline, and to smooth things out. They either fail or they are OK - basically two steel plates, with a bonding agent between them to glue them together, which absorbs some of the driveline harshness.

Towing whilst trying to get off the line on a steep hill is what kills the clutch, or slipping the clutch.

At 30,000, I would check the components and just change out the clutch if everything else is OK.

The DMF's will normally last 150,000 plus, so if you have only got 30,000 out of the first one it will be due another before you need to change the DMF.

Probably the best things to help with clutch life, would be to put a chip and/or exhaust on, to get some better low down torque to get the truck off the line easier

I was going to just change the clutch and see how it goes but for an extra few hundred I did the conversion. Definetly did not want to be doing the same 30k down the track.
I was just lucky I was not in the middle of no where. Also after looking at the clutch and flywheel, I am glad I did.

My understanding was they are designed to slip to reduce the vibrations through the driveline making it smoother. To me if they are desined to slip they will wear a lot quicker...I'm no mechanic though:)

Anyway, after reading all the dramas with DMF clutches and on advise of my mechanic it was the best decision I made...so happy days :)

happygu
16th June 2014, 07:12 PM
I was going to just change the clutch and see how it goes but for an extra few hundred I did the conversion. Definetly did not want to be doing the same 30k down the track.
I was just lucky I was not in the middle of no where. Also after looking at the clutch and flywheel, I am glad I did.

My understanding was they are designed to slip to reduce the vibrations through the driveline making it smoother. To me if they are desined to slip they will wear a lot quicker...I'm no mechanic though:)

Anyway, after reading all the dramas with DMF clutches and on advise of my mechanic it was the best decision I made...so happy days :)

Here you go Kris ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

Here is how they work

BadBoyBucky
16th June 2014, 07:39 PM

G'day Happygu, and thanks for the reply mate. We've got the Nissan guy pulling the clutch to see what's happening, so once that happens we can see what's going on. Although if SMF's are more durable and better for towing, it makes sense for us to do the upgrade now while it's out etc.

Thanks for the tip! We've been wanting to do this after seeing all the Roo Systems ads on the 4wd videos. Unfortunately we just don't have the finances atm, but we'll definitely keep it on the list as the first upgrade.

Cheers lads!

happygu
16th June 2014, 08:33 PM
Bucky,

I dont want to sway you through my snobbery, but there is something about the Roo Systems marketing methods that gets up my nose, and since most of their stuff is pitched at the cheap end of the market I would steer clear, and go for the Unichip or the Steinbeuer .... these guys I have mentioned have put serious time and effort into the development and testing of their gear, and that is reflected in their pricing, longevity in the market, and literature

The guys that install Unichip are contributors on the forum too

BadBoyBucky
16th June 2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah, understood bud. After reading reviews it appears there are some real horror stories to do with the Roo Systems. The Steinbauer seems like a really popular choice, I didn't read too much on unichip, but chip-it, and diesel performance also seemed quite popular.

As to the original question, if I was to go an SMF / clutch, would the above ebay shop be the way to go? The xtreme seemed a bit better than the exedy, as people mentioned no real shuddering in the xtreme.

Cheers for all the help lads.

BadBoyBucky
17th June 2014, 09:07 PM
Last call for suggestions.

Expecting to get the call tomorrow that it won't be covered under warranty, so I really need to choose between the Xtreme Outback and I guess the Exedy Safari. If anyone can say that one's better than the other, please chime in.

Our wallet is fairly limited atm, this is pretty much the worst time that a new clutch could have hit us, so cost is an issue in the decision. Thanks for any points!

happygu
17th June 2014, 09:13 PM
I like the Exedy clutches, but i am sure you will get loads of opinions.....