PDA

View Full Version : 1998 2.8 GU Patrol Dropped Big End

J&R Rovers
14th June 2014, 08:15 PM
Our 98 Patrol 2.8 diesel dropped a big end, currently in Donnybrook,WA being rebuilt. At 215k we are not impressed, our mechanic said it was due to early detonation ie; the injectors firing slightly before the pistons reached the top of the stroke. Possible causes; using biofuel, changing the timing, faulty pump, injectors or continuous hard work under extreme loads.
The pump and injectors tested Ok, we have never used biofuel and if towing a 1.7 tonne van at 80 to 90 km/h in 4th gear is considered hard work then we have a problem. The car has been regularly serviced, the only other thing is that the bottom end had to be rebuilt at 100k due to the dealer not tightening the crankshaft nut properly resulting in a sheared keyway when putting in a new cam belt. It may be possible the rebuild was shoddy in some way.
Has anyone had any experience in this sort of thing ?
Is the timing computer controlled ?
Thanks and regards
John

NP99
14th June 2014, 08:26 PM
Mate, sorry about the bad news. I'm with you, thinking its a shoddy rebuild. 215k is nothing.

krbrooking
14th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Sorry to here the bad news mate, my 2.8 had only done around the same amount of k's when the head went. Let's face it the little 2.8 are pretty small and work pretty hard to pull the big rig around let alone with a trailer on the back. Not sure about the computer being controlled or not though, but the pump could have been slightly out.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

J&R Rovers
15th June 2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys
Cheers
John