PDA

View Full Version : GQ TD42 Dual Battery Kit

Grizzly256
14th June 2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys

Can anyone reccomend a good dual battery kit?
something not to pricy.

thanks

Drewboyaus
14th June 2014, 08:29 PM
What do you want it to do mate? That will influence the answer....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

the evil twin
14th June 2014, 08:46 PM
What he said ^^^^^

Do you want to winch off the aux battery regularly, occasionally, never?
Do you anticipate using calcium, lithium phosphate or other 'exotic' batteries?
Do you want to have a solar charging regulator built in or not?

Grizzly256
14th June 2014, 09:00 PM
Hmm, basicly winch and a several large spotties would be about it, i would stick with normal hvy duty batteries.

the evil twin
14th June 2014, 09:30 PM
Hmm, basicly winch and a several large spotties would be about it, i would stick with normal hvy duty batteries.

Cool... you will probably get a few different answers but thats fine so here are my thoughts.
They are given with the consideration of keeping the price down

A bog standard Redarc SBI12 will do the job (you won't need an SBI12D)
Put the Redarc as close as is reasonable to the Cranker but as you will need heavy gauge leads there will be minimal voltage drop anyway so no biggee.
All you need in addition are two "battery" leads. Measure up the distance between the Cranker positive and the Redarc for one lead and the Redarc to the Aux positive for the other. Buy 'em off the shelf already crimped.
Finally a battery Tray and all finished.

To winch or use the aux to start if the cranker is low all you do is connect the two dinky little wires supplied with the Redarc.
You can get a tad smick and run the wires to a switch in the Cab if you wish.

Grizzly256
15th June 2014, 09:19 PM
Basicly i am looking for kit that is essentialy drop-in easy to install as possible. My dad is a mechanical engineer with 40years exp so he can help me a bit.

Drewboyaus
16th June 2014, 07:59 PM
The Evil Twin is spot on with his recommendation in my opinion. It is a good value solution (not necessarily cheap but not expensive either) and is about as simple as you can get......you won't get an easier install.
Being Redarc, it's Australian made and backed by an extensive dealer network.....and I don't work for them either LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

the evil twin
16th June 2014, 08:14 PM
... oops, forgot a lead.
You'll need a -ve for the Aux battery to engine block, again, measure it up and grab an "off the shelf" or Ebay lead unless you nip around to a sparky and have them cut and crimp for you.

crazyenough
17th June 2014, 12:20 AM
I picked one of the SB12kits piss easy to install and I ain't no sparkie. Can't go wrong with it.