PDA

View Full Version : Real lifesize exact replica of Ned Kelly's Armour, Boot and Gun

AB
13th June 2014, 11:59 AM
As some of you know I have a full time job...Shock Horror you say!!!

We are working on an exact life size replica of Ned Kelly's armour, gun and boot as seen at the State Library of Victoria shown below.

This will not be a half ass design. This will be an exact scaled design with exact bullet holes, dents, rivets, scratches, etc....I mean 100% exact replica!!!

It will have a silicone membrane put on to give exact texture of the entire armour including all of the imperfections.

I am not trying to sell it to anyone here, It's going to take some time to get this mould in perfection but I am really interested in seeing how much would people here expect to pay for something like this?

Keeping in mind this will be in perfect precision of the real thing...

It will pretty much look identical to the real thing shown below.

rusty_nail
13th June 2014, 12:10 PM
i can just imagine it now:

mudnut
13th June 2014, 01:07 PM
We don't need an armoured suit... Our Patrols are bullet proof.

It would be a great conversation piece, but would expect to pay a small fortune for an exact replica.

Maxhead
13th June 2014, 02:59 PM
I so would love to have one but couldn't afford one I reckon. You would have to be looking in excess of a grand but I have no idea what;s involved in making one...

threedogs
13th June 2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah same as NH $1500 easy, but wouldn't it look great in a man cave.
oh well such is life eh
Could a 3d printer do it?

Winnie
13th June 2014, 03:12 PM
I'll give you $100 for it Andy.

taslucas
13th June 2014, 03:14 PM
$8.95 with a free NP yoyo

AB
13th June 2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah I think as a random guess it would be around the 1500 mark.

Clunk
13th June 2014, 03:30 PM
I'll give you $200 if you include a free redback rooftop bag ;)

rusty_nail
13th June 2014, 03:34 PM
I'll give you $200 if you include a free redback rooftop bag ;)

Haha haha was wondering when you were gonna pipe in with the roof top bag

Clunk
13th June 2014, 04:12 PM
Haha haha was wondering when you were gonna pipe in with the roof top bag

Every day bud lol

growler2058
13th June 2014, 05:01 PM
3 easy installments of $33.95 and throw in a set of steak knives mate

FNQGU
13th June 2014, 07:53 PM
Now I know that ol Ned is a bit of an Aussie icon and stuff, probably in the same vein as Chopper Reid, but I personally would not want a set as I think it comes close to celebrating/profiting from criminal behaviour, as opposed to a historical record in a museum. Shout me down and all, but he wasn't bloody Robin Hood. There is a long way between Ned Kelly and say the Eureka Stockade history.

Each to their own, it would definitely be a talking piece and I am not being judgmental on the idea at all.

AB
13th June 2014, 09:05 PM
Now I know that ol Ned is a bit of an Aussie icon and stuff, probably in the same vein as Chopper Reid, but I personally would not want a set as I think it comes close to celebrating/profiting from criminal behaviour, as opposed to a historical record in a museum. Shout me down and all, but he wasn't bloody Robin Hood. There is a long way between Ned Kelly and say the Eureka Stockade history.

Each to their own, it would definitely be a talking piece and I am not being judgmental on the idea at all.

No probs about your comment mate, understand your reasoning but its more of a case as a focal point in a blokey man cave that's all.

I wouldn't say he's an icon more of a well known outlaw that is a piece of our history.

The state library of Victoria also seem to have no problem selling memorabilia and books about ol ned profiting themselves from his actions but no stress about your comment mate, each to their own.

NP99
13th June 2014, 09:35 PM

It's such a great topic to discuss. I was wtf when I think Victoria named its cricket side the bushrangers!!! Why not the murderers or rapists??? People forget that a bushranger is a thug stealing your property or life....a criminal.

As for Ned and his family.....I don't judge him, there is more to that story than we will ever know, corrupt cops and officials etc.

AB
13th June 2014, 09:50 PM
It's an interesting topic that would go for ever with selling products or services promoting evil...

One category for instance of hundreds more = Tv - cops, docos on criminal behaviour, crime shows, underbelly, hollywood movies etc its all about profiting on promoting evil.

The list could go on for ever...

growler2058
14th June 2014, 06:11 AM
What's it gunna be made of

AB
14th June 2014, 06:18 AM
What's it gunna be made of

http://customreplicas.com.au/about-us.html
http://australianreplicas.com.au/about-us.php

As above we normally hand sculpt them using foam and steel rods for strength with a thick coat of poly resin and then a silicone membrane but because the armour is thin it may just be a complete resin mould and silicone membrane over that rather then even having a foam substrate I think. Or possibly use steel plate substrate then resin, silicone, etc

growler2058
14th June 2014, 07:15 AM
Need to start pumping that pg on stalk book again

AB
14th June 2014, 07:40 AM
Need to start pumping that pg on stalk book again

I'm not doing any marketing until we move to Yarra Glen. We are flat out at work and just need to get ourselves sorted before we market like mad..

rusty_nail
14th June 2014, 09:51 AM
I'm not doing any marketing until we move to Yarra Glen. We are flat out at work and just need to get ourselves sorted before we market like mad..

Reckon you'll have the roof top bags done by then also?

Clunk
14th June 2014, 09:53 AM
Reckon you'll have the roof top bags done by then also?

When pigs start flying and dogs start meowing

rusty_nail
14th June 2014, 10:18 AM
When pigs start flying and dogs start meowing

Halfway there mate

Maxhead
14th June 2014, 01:11 PM
http://customreplicas.com.au/about-us.html
http://australianreplicas.com.au/about-us.php

As above we normally hand sculpt them using foam and steel rods for strength with a thick coat of poly resin and then a silicone membrane but because the armour is thin it may just be a complete resin mould and silicone membrane over that rather then even having a foam substrate I think. Or possibly use steel plate substrate then resin, silicone, etc

I think it needs to be steel Andy. Touch and feel is very important when it comes historical replicas especially armour . I don't know what I would think if I touched a so called Ned Kelly armour and felt silicone...hmmmm, may be a set of titties on some scruber:)

Seriously though, I know it will be mostly for looks but IMO I want to touch steel and smell gun powder...LOL

Family4x4
14th June 2014, 02:55 PM
Must be steel! As above.

NP99
14th June 2014, 04:29 PM
The British army sent officers over to Victoria for details on the armour. They were considering using it for British troops in the late 1800s. Not sure why it didn't proceed. He was ahead of his time for developing the armour.

AB
14th June 2014, 04:52 PM
I think it needs to be steel Andy. Touch and feel is very important when it comes historical replicas especially armour . I don't know what I would think if I touched a so called Ned Kelly armour and felt silicone...hmmmm, may be a set of titties on some scruber:)

Seriously though, I know it will be mostly for looks but IMO I want to touch steel and smell gun powder...LOL

I know mate but our sculpters are perfectionists with their moulds and silicone membrane to replicate "exactly" the model and I mean exactly the model they are replicating.

They can't work with metal unfortunately but this will look exactly the same and to scale. visuslly this will be the same as the real thing to the point of mimicking details such as scratches etc.

Maxhead
14th June 2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks mate, great concept but to be honest personally I would rather steel...(just me)

Start looking for good steel bending, shaping , breaking and bullet holeing person....Bwahaha...so what do ypu call that trade??

rusty_nail
14th June 2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks mate, great concept but to be honest personally I would rather steel...(just me)

Start looking for good steel bending, shaping , breaking and bullet holeing person....Bwahaha...so what do ypu call that trade??

Black Smith

rusty_nail
14th June 2014, 05:38 PM
Black Smith

Or skilled farrier

NP99
14th June 2014, 05:41 PM
Or a bushranger :)

rusty_nail
14th June 2014, 05:49 PM
Or a bushranger :)

Now you're talking

NP99
14th June 2014, 05:54 PM
In fact the police said it couldn't be done in the field. Ned said he used a field bellow and the trunk of a green gum tree to shape it. At the time it was thought he was lying. Modern forensics have proven Ned correct :)