PDA

View Full Version : Using whats avaliable

grahamap
13th June 2014, 05:50 AM
Seems to be a common trend for me to never have the right tools for the job so I thought id share a few home made solutions I came up with to conquer the task. It would be cool if others shared theirs also!
Spring compressor
No spill funnel for burping the cooling system
Mini keg fire, put a few metre flume on it for a laugh and got flames out the top
My flinstones gym

Got a few others but no pictures

Crate
13th June 2014, 06:47 AM
Haha love the drill press/valve spring compressor! Flintstones gym is pretty good too where is the car/treadmill device :-P

04OFF
13th June 2014, 06:59 AM
Yeh, I reccon 4 mini kegs, the drill, and most of the gym equipment, and im sure you could make a car dyno ? (hahaha) :clapping:

grahamap
13th June 2014, 08:41 AM
Haha now theres an idea!! Im currently trying to sus out a pressure tester jobbie using an old bicycle pump and some coolant lines from an old falcoon.. only issues would be connections, I was thinking wood for the radiator cap with a hole in the center for a hose or fitting.. or I could adapt the pipe fitting I used for the funnel. I just ground down the threads and wrapped in thread tape, worked a treat ;D

Family4x4
13th June 2014, 08:54 AM
solder a 1/4" line to the top of a cap and attach hose to pump/gauge.

grahamap
13th June 2014, 09:09 AM
Yea I considered that ay but I figured id have to remove the spring and other components but I think thats what allows for an efficient seal.. worth a shot ive got a few lying around

Parksy
13th June 2014, 07:58 PM
I like that spring compressor idea. I wasted my time using a cheap and nasty spring compressor that took about 2 hours when I never actually thought about doing what you have done.

grahamap
13th June 2014, 09:12 PM
Haha yea took me 20-30 minutes once I got a feel for it. I also managed to use a socket and hammer, firm tap. However that was on a doner head that wasnt oiled and had sat around.

I sorted out my coolant pressure tester. I couldnt get the bike pump to seal 100% so I pinched the gauge and hose and set about using a radiator cap as previously suggested. Didnt get pictures of it in action but will tomorrow. Worked well and discovered I have many tiny leaks in my radiator and that my coolant builds no pressure what so ever, I cant figure out why. Despite the radiator leaks which only appear 10psi and over I assume it should make an attempt haha

This was going to be the seal but I lost it somewhere in the chaos
So I found an alternative