PDA

View Full Version : OME lift/suspension

Patrol-Guy
12th June 2014, 07:38 PM
Ok dumb question time. . .

My GU has stock suspension (as far as I know anyway) and I priced the complete OME upgrade. $2400 fitted, maybe more depending what is actually required.

My question - can I just replace the springs and shocks? If so then is it worth just doing that then later when dollars are plentifull do some more or do you have to do it all at once?

Also one more - if I just do the springs and shocks will that lift the vehicle like 50mm or do you have to do the whole thing to get the lift?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul

MEGOMONSTER
12th June 2014, 07:42 PM
I'm sure someone will answer more thoroughly, but all I have done is OME, springs and shocks borrowed from MR.
My steering wheel is slightly offset of centre, easily lived with.

Hodge
12th June 2014, 07:52 PM
50mm (2" ) is a comfortable lift you will get with OME shocks and springs. If you want 3" or higher, then you are looking at replacing other suspension components.

mudski
12th June 2014, 08:46 PM
3inch or higher you will need to replace front and rear panhard rods with adjustables, drop boxes for the front radius arms, rear lower extended control arms, rear upper adjustable control arms, extended brake lines, bump stops (well i did) and extended sway bar links(you need these for a 2inch lift too).

lucus30
12th June 2014, 09:05 PM
Ok dumb question time. . .

My GU has stock suspension (as far as I know anyway) and I priced the complete OME upgrade. $2400 fitted, maybe more depending what is actually required.

My question - can I just replace the springs and shocks? If so then is it worth just doing that then later when dollars are plentifull do some more or do you have to do it all at once?

Also one more - if I just do the springs and shocks will that lift the vehicle like 50mm or do you have to do the whole thing to get the lift?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul

What size lift ?? $2400 seems like a lot if its just a 2 inch

mudski
12th June 2014, 09:14 PM

My thoughts too considering its just springs and shocks being replaced and on a hoist could be done in an hour I reckon.
I haven't counted what it cost me for a 3inch flexi kit but it was around that just in parts for everything I mentioned above.

lucus30
12th June 2014, 09:20 PM
My thoughts too considering its just springs and shocks being replaced and on a hoist could be done in an hour I reckon.
I haven't counted what it cost me for a 3inch flexi kit but it was around that just in parts for everything I mentioned above.

My 2 inch OME parts wise was about $1200 including springs, shocks, extended rear sway bar bracket and steering damper. So $1200 for installation is hefty

MEGOMONSTER
12th June 2014, 09:23 PM

That'll be springs , shocks, steering dampener, castor correction bushes, brake bias bracket and something else adjustable.

Patrol-Guy
12th June 2014, 09:41 PM
The quote of $2400 was the whole thing not just springs and shocks. I was just asking if I could do just the springs and shocks.

mudski
12th June 2014, 09:46 PM
The quote of $2400 was the whole thing not just springs and shocks. I was just asking if I could do just the springs and shocks.

Well then yes. On a 2inch lift you can get away with springs and shocks. I would advise to get sway bar extensions though.

MEGOMONSTER
12th June 2014, 10:40 PM
I would advise to get sway bar extensions though.
Is that for ride, comfort or flex.

Bush Ranger
12th June 2014, 10:50 PM
Cost me just a tad over $1675 fitted for an OME 2 inch lift back in 2008. All it was springs, shocks and steering dampener. Didn`t have the castor correction or the extended sway bar connections done either and it handled well. Some people say you can get it done and others say you don`t really need to for that sized lift. A fewer years later down the track, I needed new radius arm bushes, as they were worn out due to old age and I decided to go the castor correction, as it was going to cost the same as for the standard correction bushes. I bought sway bar disconnects not long after to suit the 2 inch lift as well and replaced the sway bar rubbers while I was at it.
To answer your question, yes it`s just springs and shocks. But in saying that, it all depends on who you go to, to what they will tell you.
Hope this helps in a way.
PS. LTR shocks will cost you more if you happen go down that path.

mudski
13th June 2014, 07:07 PM
Is that for ride, comfort or flex.

Well from stock your sway bars will or should be level to the link it bolts to. When you lift the car it pulls on the sway bar and therefor adds extra tension to the sway bar and will reduce your cars ability to flex. So addibg longer sway bar links to bring the sway bar back down level you are not putting extra load on the sway bar.