PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode question

thebrod
11th June 2014, 09:44 PM
Hey All.

Are there any other factors that cause limp mode. I know that boost that hits 17.9psi will do it, and that the MAF can trigger it if its on the way out, but is there anything else?
My setup has a catch can (and I've cleaned the MAF as well), dawes valve is set at 16psi. I still get limp mode if I push it hard. Should I be considering getting a new MAF sensor, or lowering the boost a bit further?
I also have ECU talk and notice that the ICV value drops right down to about 4% when I'm going full throttle. Could this be linked to the limp mode in some way?

Cheers

Ada,

Pokey
12th June 2014, 01:22 AM
Mate I've played with my dawes heaps and can get limp mode at 13 psi on a cold engine. At normal operating temperatures anything over 15.5 - 16 can at times trigger limp mode. From what I gather the ecu correlates info from several sensors such as maf, tps and map to decide when to limit fuel. I'm nearly convinced there is a temperature sensor somewhere that is involved too. I'd love to know exactly how the ecu thinks. Hope the gurus answer your questions :-)

mudski
12th June 2014, 08:58 AM
Do you have needle valve fitted? Pre air intake mods to my car I could only get 16psi max boost. But if I had my needle valve wound in too much, giving a faster spool up rate on the turbo, I would hit limp mode. I just had to back off the needle valve a tiny bit and all my issues were gone.

threedogs
12th June 2014, 10:28 AM
Hey All.

Are there any other factors that cause limp mode. I know that boost that hits 17.9psi will do it, and that the MAF can trigger it if its on the way out, but is there anything else?
My setup has a catch can (and I've cleaned the MAF as well), dawes valve is set at 16psi. I still get limp mode if I push it hard. Should I be considering getting a new MAF sensor, or lowering the boost a bit further?
I also have ECU talk and notice that the ICV value drops right down to about 4% when I'm going full throttle. Could this be linked to the limp mode in some way?

Cheers

Ada,

I have my ecu-talk set up all the time I'll see what values I get under different conditions
My max is 19ish and 10 at 100 kph no limp mode yet, needle valve nearly closed

threedogs
12th June 2014, 03:30 PM
Hi again just checked the ICV% on my ECU-Talk and it stays around 75% most of the time .
so there is your problem, Yendor may be able to help you some more

thebrod
12th June 2014, 11:40 PM
Ahhhhh bugger. So I guess this means the Injector pump maybe isnt doing so well. Sounds expensive. :(
If that is the case, (apart from the IP completeley failing at some stage and leaving me with a patrol that wont go!) could this cause any other damage to the engine?