PDA

View Full Version : Turbo fit to high mileage TD42

Bushy674
10th June 2014, 03:47 PM
Hi all, Am looking for some info, I have recently come across a complete bolt on turbo set up at a reasonable price for my TD42 GQ. My old girl has quite a few Ks on the clock but is in excellent mechanical condition. Injectors and pump are both fresh. Just wondering has any body turbo'd a high mileage one? Did it work? Have seen aftermarket turbo ones with 700,000km + still going strong. Obviously a motor rebuild would be the way to go first but am short on time and funds. Any info appreciated, Cheers

threedogs
10th June 2014, 04:28 PM
I think Berrimah Diesel turboed a high mileage GQ with no problems whats so ever.
From memory it had 500,000 k so just run in really, they may have it on there web site.
Its their daily driver ATM

Bushy674
10th June 2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks Mate, will have a look!

89gqpatrol4x4
11th June 2014, 06:18 PM
mine has 350,000 on and I plan to turbo soon. Just going to get a compression test done and if all good go for it! I'm not trying to create a monster so it wont stress an old motor to much.

Col.T
11th June 2014, 06:59 PM
G'day Bushy,
I'm going to be way, way out side here,,,,,,,,,, but,
why oh why would you want to fit a turbo to God's gift to 4WD?
Had one and swapped it for a later 3.0CRD with turbo and have never stopped regretting it.
4WD tractor in low, crawls up creeks, rocks, sand, swamp, you name it and you're talking about swapping that for high revs, flat strap no low torque output?????
You've got either high revs. turbo or low revs grunt as your options, seems to me.
Sorry for an old fart's opinion
regards,
Col

nissannewby
11th June 2014, 07:11 PM
G'day Bushy,
Had one and swapped it for a later 3.0CRD with turbo and have never stopped regretting it.
4WD tractor in low, crawls up creeks, rocks, sand, swamp, you name it and you're talking about swapping that for high revs, flat strap no low torque output?????
You've got either high revs. turbo or low revs grunt as your options, seems to me.
regards,
Col

You don't lose any of that low rev crawling ability with addition of a turbo on a 4.2. If correctly sized the gains will be very worth it. You are comparing to very different things with the crd and trusty old 4.2. It's the old saying "there is no substitute for cubic inches" , you have got to experience this with the 3.0 compared to the 4.2 and as you know the poor little 3.0 needs the revs to push around a 3t car.

jbe
12th June 2014, 09:23 AM
My 93 TD42 is a silvertop and I fitted a Gartett turbo at around 360k. I did a compression and leakage test beforehand and my mechanics were happy with the results. I've done about 60k with the turbo fitted now and I haven't looked back. My turbo is not intercooled and boost is set to 12.5PSI.

Bushy674
12th June 2014, 05:02 PM
Hi Col and Newbie, I gotta go with newbie on this one mate, I have worked on and driven plenty of turbo 4.2 GQs and you don't lose out at all. And you definitely can't compare it to the 3.0ltr, my personal opinion is that nissan shot themselves in the foot by not making a big six modern diesel for the GU and leaving the 3.0ltr for the Navara or better yet putting another two cylinders on the 3.0ltr!!!

Dam355
12th June 2014, 11:08 PM
G'day Bushy,
regards,
Col

Hmmm nothing in this post makes sense?? Sorry.

With a turbo it gives you better low down grunt and don't need to have it revving flat strap. Is that how you have to drive a 3.0 crd. I now have more grunt and power than a 3l crd now.

The turbo gave my 4.2 a massive torque injection and mid range pull (1700-3000rpm). It actually doubled my power at the wheels. I never rev it over 3000rpm. Over taking is great now.

When rock crawling the turbo never kicks in unless I stomp it going up a hill that's muddy or sandy. It is the best mod you can do for a 4.2 NA. Did mine at around 285,000km.

Cheers.

BigRAWesty
13th June 2014, 05:48 AM
Winnie and I did a idle test just for shoits and giggles in the high country.
Was a 15-20 degree rocky incline
Mine a stock as a rock td42 and Winnie's td42 turbo 3" exhaust and high flow filters.

He blew me away.
No wether this wa due to the extra flow or the age (mine 500 ###km and Winnie's 300###) I don't know but the proof is there..

Winnie
13th June 2014, 06:01 AM
Winnie and I did a idle test just for shoits and giggles in the high country.
Was a 15-20 degree rocky incline
Mine a stock as a rock td42 and Winnie's td42 turbo 3" exhaust and high flow filters.

He blew me away.
No wether this wa due to the extra flow or the age (mine 500 ###km and Winnie's 300###) I don't know but the proof is there..

Hey I'm still a way off 300k!

BigRAWesty
13th June 2014, 09:28 AM
Hey I'm still a way off 300k!

Your at 230### ain't ya..
Count remember if it was 320 or 230

Winnie
13th June 2014, 09:41 AM
You're way off haha it's at 250k

Winnie
13th June 2014, 09:43 AM
You don't lose any of that low rev crawling ability with addition of a turbo on a 4.2. If correctly sized the gains will be very worth it. You are comparing to very different things with the crd and trusty old 4.2. It's the old saying "there is no substitute for cubic inches" , you have got to experience this with the 3.0 compared to the 4.2 and as you know the poor little 3.0 needs the revs to push around a 3t car.

There's no replacement for displacement =]

gazq
17th July 2014, 03:05 PM
Hi Mate,

I was in the same position as you about 6 months ago. To turbo, or not to turbo....that was my question. After having spoke to numerous owners of post turbo-ed TD42 owners I was reassured that it would be good. FYI my bus has about 450,000k on the clock. Also I have a very decent diesel mechanic who basically said that as long as the engine is in good working order and you dont go looking for a stupid amount of boost she will be just fine.

After much reading and research I elected to spend up on a decent DTS kit and had a pyro and boost gauge added. No sense spending that kind of money and not know how to protect your investment.

Lets just say I wish I had bought the turbo as the very first accessory. I gained an extra gear up every hill and now manage to keep up with traffic instead of causing it. Hell i can even overtake it should i feel the need! :icon_driving:

It has transformed the vehicle for me and I enjoy driving it even more now than ever! Mine is tuned for reliability sitting on about 11 psi for touring and towing an off-road camper trailer.

Hope this helps.

-gazq