PDA

View Full Version : Electronic rust protection is it a scam?

deanfurley
10th June 2014, 02:25 PM
Title says it all really.

From what I have read its supposed to send an energy pulse through the car to stop the rust, but as the chassis is normally ground I don't see how it would work.

If it is a scam, let me know what you use.

Cheers guys look forward to the info.

Ronin
10th June 2014, 02:37 PM
as the chassis is not normally ground I don't see how it would work.

you answered the question :)

I use Penetrol, some use Lanotec UP.

04OFF
10th June 2014, 02:55 PM
Scamaddyscamscam !

deanfurley
10th June 2014, 03:03 PM
Ronin, did you brush or spray Pentrol?

I used to have a Prado, before I saw the light and I used lanotech on that and I always thought I could smell it afterward.
It was not Lanotech UP but

Ronin
10th June 2014, 03:27 PM
I brushed it.

I just now called the Lanotec guys and they said a lot of the hire vehicles at Fraser use Lanotec UP.

deanfurley
10th June 2014, 03:59 PM
That's good to know. I think I prefer the idea of Lanotech, for no real reason.

TimE
10th June 2014, 04:04 PM
Lanotech ................. isn't that Kiwi perfume? :)

Oh, and yes a scam. Read this (http://www.saipanfix.com/blog/?p=222).

Wine_maker
10th June 2014, 04:56 PM
Scam just like this:
At least one guy marched down to a Public Service and Complaint Bureau and reported that he bought a “Penis Enlargement Device” online and received a magnifying glass along with an instruction sheet touting only one rule: “Do not use in sunlight.“

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/06/penis-enlargement-scam-magnifying-glass/

TimE
10th June 2014, 05:12 PM
Sort of like the device to cut your electricity bill in half

Cuppa
10th June 2014, 05:52 PM
Collyn Rivers tested electronic rust prevention.

http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2522 (http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2522)

gaddy
10th June 2014, 08:07 PM
I get my car professionally done at first and then do it myself after that , I use Shell Ensis fluid , but no matter what you use the best thing is spending time washing when you get home , get under the car with a hose and anywhere you can reach I spend a couple of hour's after each beach trip ( once a month at least )

Steve

megatexture
10th June 2014, 08:15 PM
My mates dad's has an old cruiser and spends months on Fraser each year and many trips to rainbow beach and has no signs of rust and he's running Couplertec so based on seeing his car I've installed it on ours, however I still wash the fark out of it after a beach trip and lanotec under it also. You can never be to careful

04OFF
10th June 2014, 10:03 PM
http://www.couplertec.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=200009

the CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing System will protect the vehicle as identified herein against rust through (metal perforation caused by rust) for a period of ten (10) years from the date of manufacture of the vehicle unless the warranty is voided earlier. The date of manufacture is taken to be the last day of the month of manufacture.

Also not covered are any vehicle components which are insulated from the vehicle’s main body,

Should rust through occur during the Corrosion Warranty period the claimant must: 1. first make a claim under the vehicle manufacturer’s corrosion warranty; 2. if the vehicle manufacturer’s corrosion warranty has expired, the claimant must return the vehicle along with this CouplerTec Warranty to an authorised CouplerTec Dealer within thirty (30) days of the rust through becoming apparent. Failure to do so will void the Corrosion Warranty

Please note: For the Corrosion Warranty to remain in force: 1. The system must be inspected and authorised as being operational by an authorised CouplerTec dealer every twelve (12) months (within 2 weeks of the installation anniversary date). The service coupon must be signed by the dealer and sent to CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing within 14 days of the inspection. 2

The Corrosion Warranty shall be deemed void if: 1. the system is not suitable for the intended vehicle i.e. a 4WD System must be installed on a 4WD vehicle. (Refer to CouplerTec.com for applicable system types) 2. the system is not suitable for the vehicles intended use within an extreme environment* (Refer to CouplerTec.com for applicable system types) 3. the system is disconnected from its power supply either intentionally or by accident. 4. there is internal or external damage to the system either intentionally or by accident. 5. the vehicle is constantly exposed to an extreme environment as determined by CouplerTec*
*Extreme environment includes but is not limited to: beach, water, salt water, chemicals, mine sites (e.g. Coal, Salt, Gold, Iron Ore, Copper, Zinc, Lead, Silver).

Id be interested to hear how you go if you ever have to make a claim Troy, they seem to have all the bases covered.

megatexture
10th June 2014, 11:49 PM
I don't think I'll need to after seeing this cruiser for years getting abused, and I even take extra care of our rig

warner01
11th June 2014, 12:35 AM
A mate of mine has an electronic rust protector on his 1950's morris minor. We both live near the beach btw. He said once he let his annode completely run out ( corode away ) and couldnt afford to replace it. while it was not working he said the rust came into his car fast. As soon as it was replaced the rust stopped again. now ive watched my cars rust pretty dam fast down here and his 1950's car to not be rusting with this on makes me think it must work. But like every product out there, there is always someone making a cheaper crappier one that may not work.
On another note my father inlaw uses fish oil on his cars about every 12 months. swear's by it too but he dosnt live by the beach either.

deanfurley
11th June 2014, 12:06 PM
So it appears that they do work, at least to some degree.

No one has posted up that there car rusted to shit without one.

But also there is no guarantees, if they don't work cause they seem to exclude everything. Interesting.

kevin07
11th June 2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.couplertec.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=200009

the CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing System will protect the vehicle as identified herein against rust through (metal perforation caused by rust) for a period of ten (10) years from the date of manufacture of the vehicle unless the warranty is voided earlier. The date of manufacture is taken to be the last day of the month of manufac

Also not covered are any vehicle components which are insulated from the vehicle’s main body,

Should rust through occur during the Corrosion Warranty period the claimant must: 1. first make a claim under the vehicle manufacturer’s corrosion warranty; 2. if the vehicle manufacturer’s corrosion warranty has expired, the claimant must return the vehicle along with this CouplerTec Warranty to an authorised CouplerTec Dealer within thirty (30) days of the rust through becoming apparent. Failure to do so will void the Corrosion Warranty

Please note: For the Corrosion Warranty to remain in force: 1. The system must be inspected and authorised as being operational by an authorised CouplerTec dealer every twelve (12) months (within 2 weeks of the installation anniversary date). The service coupon must be signed by the dealer and sent to CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing within 14 days of the inspection. 2

The Corrosion Warranty shall be deemed void if: 1. the system is not suitable for the intended vehicle i.e. a 4WD System must be installed on a 4WD vehicle. (Refer to CouplerTec.com for applicable system types) 2. the system is not suitable for the vehicles intended use within an extreme environment* (Refer to CouplerTec.com for applicable system types) 3. the system is disconnected from its power supply either intentionally or by accident. 4. there is internal or external damage to the system either intentionally or by accident. 5. the vehicle is constantly exposed to an extreme environment as determined by CouplerTec*
*Extreme environment includes but is not limited to: beach, water, salt water, chemicals, mine sites (e.g. Coal, Salt, Gold, Iron Ore, Copper, Zinc, Lead, Silver).

Id be interested to hear how you go if you ever have to make a claim Troy, they seem to have all the bases covered.
agreed that all sounds like bs to me if you look after your car properly your never going to worry about rust in ten years. ive got my brothers 92 gq here and by the service receipts its done 2 laps serviced properly yes cleaned properly no in awesome condition absolutely.

macca86
11th June 2014, 01:24 PM
While not a car I had to tear down an out door sunshade as one of my jobs it was 10 years old in nudgee a bay side town in Brisbane and was rusted out and paint peeling it was a mess. We installed a new one that was hot dip galvanised. The old rusted out one was "protected" by an electronic rust protection.
I'd rather use fish oil or lanolin products or get a new car every 10 years haha plus a good wash doesn't hurt