PDA

View Full Version : ciggy socket

jay see
10th June 2014, 09:01 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of these 45543
What I do know is if it is loaded up with a few devices at the same time the power shared. What about if its wired up directly to the battery (with a fuse). Is there anyway to set these things so the power is not shared, or do I need to have individual sockets
Cheers all

threedogs
10th June 2014, 09:11 AM
For rear outlets most ppl have the Baintech outlet and volt gauge
for the front I use the Baintech double usb outlet

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2014, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of these 45543
What I do know is if it is loaded up with a few devices at the same time the power shared. What about if its wired up directly to the battery (with a fuse). Is there anyway to set these things so the power is not shared, or do I need to have individual sockets
Cheers all

Cheap crap.........

I run some of relays with the ignition as the trigger for my cig outlets and I run one usb socket that has power all the time.

Dont buy those shitty cheap power sockets as they will fail.

jay see
10th June 2014, 09:49 AM
Dont buy those shitty cheap power sockets as they will fail.

I know that they are cheap and not the best, but I have used them in other cars and haven't had one fail.
Will have a look at what else is out there.

Clunk
10th June 2014, 10:22 AM
All depends on what you'll be powering up with it, I used to have one for just charging me tablet and phone and worked fine. Wouldnt use one for powering a fridge for example, you'll probably just blow the inbuilt fuse, they're only meant for low current draw applications

jay see
10th June 2014, 10:31 AM
All depends on what you'll be powering up with it, I used to have one for just charging me tablet and phone and worked fine. Wouldnt use one for powering a fridge for example, you'll probably just blow the inbuilt fuse, they're only meant for low current draw applications

Will use for GPS, a couple phones and maybe a camera at the most. Fridge will have it own. Does it need to be any particular type amp?

threedogs
10th June 2014, 01:04 PM
I think the OE cig socket is 8amps tops and may have a small wire as a fusable link on the back of the socket.
add up what your going to run and see if it is 8a or more.
Put some outlets at the rear bottom of the centre console with their own fuse etc,,,, or
if a none smoker turf the ash tray and make a panel to suit the opening

jay see
10th June 2014, 01:28 PM
Put some outlets at the rear bottom of the centre console with their own fuse etc,,,, or
if a none smoker turf the ash tray and make a panel to suit the opening

I was always going to do this for the kids and they don't need a ash tray. They both asked me what is this for pointing to the front ash tray, they were amazed that people smoke in their cars.

I going to put one for the fridge and a spare point in the cargo area as well.

threedogs
10th June 2014, 01:40 PM
Id recommend using a 50 amp Anderson for the fridge connection, cig sockets just don't cut it.
I would try and use Merit instead of cig as they make better contact or use the Baintech twist lock plug/socket.
last thing you want is a cig plug to fail on you, and they will

jay see
10th June 2014, 01:50 PM
Id recommend using a 50 amp Anderson for the fridge connection, cig sockets just don't cut it.
I would try and use Merit instead of cig as they make better contact or use the Baintech twist lock plug/socket.
last thing you want is a cig plug to fail on you, and they will
Thanks for the info.
Will be well armed with information when I go out to buy all this.

jay see
10th June 2014, 02:04 PM
I just went out to have a look at the fridge and it says on 12v 6.25 amp. Isn't 50 amp overkill.

Cuppa
10th June 2014, 02:38 PM
I just went out to have a look at the fridge and it says on 12v 6.25 amp. Isn't 50 amp overkill.

No it’s not. It isn’t just about the current carrying capacity, it is also to do with other attributes that the Anderson plugs have. They are ‘self cleaning’ meaning they will not build up a high resistance over time , & they are also a much more secure connection than cig & Merit plugs (& indeed most other connectors). It just happens that the smallest size is rated at 50amps. The cost is on par with merit or Hella type plug & sockets, in fact probably cheaper. (Hella type plug & socket are also superior to Merit as they have a much larger contact area & are rated at 15 or 16 amps).... but Anderson are best. There are a lot of cheap knockoffs of Anderson, some of which are reported to sustain oxidised connectors over time. Pay the extra dollar & get genuine Andeson with the silver coated terminals.

jay see
10th June 2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Cuppa
As I'll said in the past electrical side of things isn't my strong point.

jay see
11th June 2014, 11:08 AM
Another question if I can.
If I'm going to use an Anderson plug for the fridge, what happens to the cable and cig plug on the fridge. Do I cut and soldier on 8 mm wire and Anderson plug. Is it best to do this as close to the fridge or do I rewire it from the inside.
Cheers

Cuppa
11th June 2014, 01:57 PM
Unplug the 12v supply from the fridge & cut the cable to solder on the Anderson plug. It is quite possible the original cig plug will contain a fuse. If so you should add an inline fuse of the same rating between the Anderson plug & fridge plug.

threedogs
11th June 2014, 02:10 PM
OR you could buy the Engel/Baintech twist lock plug and socket
again a secure fitting , Cig sockets are a thing of the past and IMO best avoided
for any 4x4 application.

elmo4eva
11th June 2014, 04:53 PM
Just cut the wire on the main cigy n add switch then add those external ones

threedogs
11th June 2014, 05:17 PM
If you get stuck just come over we'll sort it out together, have every thing here to do it.

jay see
11th June 2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks all, I think I should be able to handle it.
TD I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, but I'll hold you to the offer if it turns to poo.