PDA

View Full Version : over heating

Ralph44
9th June 2014, 11:37 AM
Ralph44

I have a question about my 2006 4.2lt turbo diesel STi Patrol Ute over heating when towing my caravan on long hills when I am down to 1st or 2nd gear. The caravan when loaded weighs 3 ton and the patrol 3.2 ton loaded so we are dragging a bit of weight. I am thinking about changing the Radiator to a heavy duty PWR in the hope that it will fix the problem.
I might also add that the patrol has a 3ins exaust system and also a diesel/gas conversion. Does anyone have a similar problem and if so how did you fix it?.

P.S. I am new to this forum

MEGOMONSTER
9th June 2014, 02:10 PM
We have several incidents of the radiator core being partially blocked.
But when flow tested all seems clear.
But when pulled apart and water run through all the fins, more than 50% was blocked.
This could also be your problem, but could be one of many problems/issues you may have.

I believe it was "Goats Syndrome" that you might want to do a search on.

There are many threads on here about overheating, try use the search function.

threedogs
9th June 2014, 02:19 PM
Get your radiator serviced or as suggested by MR, check what your boost is.
Do one thing at a time that way you'll know for sure what it is.
Before shelling out on a new radiator get a dyno first

nissannewby
9th June 2014, 02:20 PM
You do realise you have also exceeded the towing capacity. Also if it's coils all round you are also over your GVM of 3150kg. If it's leaf rear disregard as they are 3400kg GVM.

When was the cooling system last serviced? Has the radiator ever been externally cleaned? There are many things to check including your ac condenser isn't blocked. Are you loosing any coolant?

Ralph44
10th June 2014, 01:49 PM
Yes I do realise that I am just over the GVM but have longer heavy duty coils fitted as well as air bags in the coils plus a 25mm sway bar under the back. Thanks for the info.

Ralph44
10th June 2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the info

Ralph44
10th June 2014, 01:54 PM
Never been on a dyno so will do and thanks for the reply

threedogs
10th June 2014, 01:57 PM
low boost will increase your EGTs and being "JUST" over as you say wont be helping your cause.
Need to shed some kgs you're asking a lot from your set up IMO, but if any motor will take it a 4.2 would
Are you blowing clouds of black smoke, well more than normal

jay see
10th June 2014, 02:14 PM
Theres a block cleaner that you can get. Its in 2 parts, I think the first part you drive the car for a few hours nothing hard just normal, than you flash it out and add part 2 and repeat, but not for as long. Can't remember what its called, but can find out. I used it on the old surf, it cleans out the whole cooling system.

Trust me. When it comes to overheating anyone who has owned a TD surf will know a lot of different things to try.

nissannewby
10th June 2014, 02:25 PM
Yes I do realise that I am just over the GVM but have longer heavy duty coils fitted as well as air bags in the coils plus a 25mm sway bar under the back. Thanks for the info.

Yes just over your GVM. But you may find you are 1/2 tonne over your towing capacity.

On a standard 4.2 you have to be losing all your boost to be causing an overheat situation.