PDA

View Full Version : Steering dampener issues...

mudski
8th June 2014, 03:32 PM
So around 15 months ago I bought a Tough Dog RTC dampener and adjustable drag link. The dampener lost all its oil a few months ago and I got it changed under warranty. Now I can see the new dampener is going to do the same. Hasn't yet but will. I spoke with the shop I got it from when I replaced the unit as they wanted to see it on the car first. They looked and said it was all fitted right. So it was replaced. As you can see in the pic the spring is rubbing against the body of the shocker. This tells me that the shocker isn't mounted straight and is flexing the shaft. I compared the angle of the mount on the drag link to my old OEM unit and it looks spot on to me. But I think the actual length of the pin is too long causing this flex at the drag link end of the dampener. (see pic )The dampener doesn't straighten too if I move the bracket forward on the drag link around too. Tried all this to no avail. Maybe the shaft is already bent thats why the spring was still rubbing, I don't know...But it didn't change.
I don't need to hear that RTC's are shite etc etc too. This won't help. Although I doubt I will be replacing this one with the same again. I just want to find out why or how before I replace it.
But I think the pin section on the spring end is too long causing the shaft to flex back and then the spring rubs on the body of the shocker.

Any ideas?

BigRAWesty
8th June 2014, 03:37 PM
It looks as if the end of the spring on the drag link is not finished completely, ad a full ring flat at the end.
So as it compresses it'll be forcing the middle down..

threedogs
8th June 2014, 03:37 PM
Do you need to fabricate a new mounting plate so its just pulls straight, something doesn't sound right

nissannewby
8th June 2014, 03:52 PM
Idea #1- remove it
Idea #2- throw it in the bin
Idea #3- put a normal dampener on there. Rtc's are rubbish and put unwanted strain on other components.

Hodge
8th June 2014, 03:55 PM
A little bit off topic, but the dampeners with the spring around it are RTC, without spring are a normal dampener right?

Would it help if I took photo of mine to show how it's mounted? Although mine is without the spring.

nissannewby
8th June 2014, 03:57 PM
A little bit off topic, but the dampeners with the spring around it are RTC, without spring are a normal dampener right?

Would it help if I took photo of mine to show how it's mounted? Although mine is without the spring.

Correct so there is always spring tension applied and even more so when the spring is compressed.

mudski
8th June 2014, 03:58 PM
It looks as if the end of the spring on the drag link is not finished completely, ad a full ring flat at the end.
So as it compresses it'll be forcing the middle down..
It has a large washer at the end on the spring there mate. Just can't see it in that pic.

Do you need to fabricate a new mounting plate so its just pulls straight, something doesn't sound right
Somethings not right I know. I don't want to go out and get a different dampener only to just be met with this issue later on.

Correct.

threedogs
8th June 2014, 04:07 PM
I think you need to get both front wheels off the ground undo one end of the RTC
get someone to turn your wheels so you can see what happens , other wise you're just guessing
I agree with NN the bin looks like a good option, Those RTC were only for the guys running 38" plus tyres
not 35" with power steering

is anything bent steering arm etc

nissannewby
8th June 2014, 04:20 PM
Get someone to turn it all the way to full lock while you watch what happens when the spring compresses. If anything the mounting rubbers on the rod end will allow to much deflection and with the added tension of the spring at full lock the energy has to try to go somewhere. Possibly try some solid spacers instead of rubbers at the rod end.

mudski
8th June 2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys. I know that RTC's are rubbish but I don't want to buy another dampener, not RTC, only for it to leak again. Something just doesn't add up when looking at it to me...
Matt, can you get solid spacers to fit inside the mount of the pin at the drag link end? I thought that would just prematurely wear out the end.
But a decent dampener might just be the calling instead modifying the end....Dunno.

mudski
8th June 2014, 04:49 PM
Superior engineering have a decent drag link bracket and going by their picture it will bring the dampener, into a straight line. Hard to explain that. But the bracket I have sticks out further (toward the dampener) than the superior bracket. I mioght order one and see. It will be better than the crappy one I have anyhow...Then I'll replace the dampener if its right.

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2014, 06:31 PM
So on full lock the space between the panard and the drag link reduces and id say that they are coming together and crushing or rubbing the back of that... It looks like the brake line is rubbing too?

do the steering test sitting in the drive as described and it might just be a case of spinning that mount on the drag link around a little to hang the steering damper under and it might clear. Strange mount on the Panard end??

Bush Ranger
8th June 2014, 07:00 PM
You have a picture with an arrow pointing to it with a comment about a section needs to be shorter. Looks to me that the bracket has a couple of U bolts that can be loosened and could be twisted upwards. The bracket doesn`t look like its set right to me, causing the spring to rub. I could be wrong and no doubt am, but I would loosen the bracket and twist it upwards / downwards or what ever it takes to give an even spacing between both sides of the spring and shock. Worth a try.

NP99
8th June 2014, 09:07 PM
Also noticed you don't have enough oil leaks on the other components :)

mudski
8th June 2014, 10:24 PM
You have a picture with an arrow pointing to it with a comment about a section needs to be shorter. Looks to me that the bracket has a couple of U bolts that can be loosened and could be twisted upwards. The bracket doesn`t look like its set right to me, causing the spring to rub. I could be wrong and no doubt am, but I would loosen the bracket and twist it upwards / downwards or what ever it takes to give an even spacing between both sides of the spring and shock. Worth a try.
As I stated I did try that but the actual angle doesn't change. I just changes the position and keeps the same angle. But I do appreciate the point out... Thats what we're here for :)
I do think the bracket supplied isn't right. I thought this the day I first fitted it. I have ordered a Superior bracket as from the pic it looks correct to me. The drag link end of the dampener will be closer to the drag link. Once its here I will know for sure.

Also noticed you don't have enough oil leaks on the other components :)
What are you trying to say. My diseasal is supposed to have oil leaks? You be nice bucko' otherwise I will give you the Killer Kowalski claw hold.

nissannewby
8th June 2014, 10:30 PM
What are you trying to say. My diseasal is supposed to have oil leaks? You be nice bucko' otherwise I will give you the Killer Kowalski claw hold.

Is this a tough way of saying you want a hug?

nipagu7
9th June 2014, 10:27 AM
if you don't really want or need rtc why not just take the spring off and see how it performs .

does the angle on the mounting pin change when the steering is turned lock to lock , I would think it would change so there might be no advantage of replacing it with a similar mounting .

mudski
9th June 2014, 10:34 AM
if you don't really want or need rtc why not just take the spring off and see how it performs .

does the angle on the mounting pin change when the steering is turned lock to lock , I would think it would change so there might be no advantage of replacing it with a similar mounting .

Removing the spring is not going to resolve the said issue though. As for the angle. I will have a look this arvo at it.

nipagu7
9th June 2014, 11:22 AM
just to clarify . the way I see it is that type of mounting is made to deal with non aligned forces , the spring increases the amount of force in the system , some of which , because of that type of mounting , maybe causeing the damper rod to flex enough to prematurely wear or perhaps damage the oil seal , leading to damper unit failure which I think is the original said issue .
others have suggested ( in there own way ) rtc units are not really required , so my suggestion to remove the spring which might relieve some of the force that may be flexing the damper shaft was aimed primeairily at seeing the damper unit have a full service life . worth a try ?
I guess it would also depend on how much you wanted the rtc spring effect .

paulyg
9th June 2014, 12:18 PM
I have had my rtc Damper for a few years now with no problems at all,
Do you have some non standard parts in there? or is something bent?

mudski
9th June 2014, 12:29 PM
just to clarify . the way I see it is that type of mounting is made to deal with non aligned forces , the spring increases the amount of force in the system , some of which , because of that type of mounting , maybe causeing the damper rod to flex enough to prematurely wear or perhaps damage the oil seal , leading to damper unit failure which I think is the original said issue .
others have suggested ( in there own way ) rtc units are not really required , so my suggestion to remove the spring which might relieve some of the force that may be flexing the damper shaft was aimed primeairily at seeing the damper unit have a full service life . worth a try ?
I guess it would also depend on how much you wanted the rtc spring effect .

Ah. I get ya now. Thanks.

mudski
9th June 2014, 12:29 PM
I have had my rtc Damper for a few years now with no problems at all,
Do you have some non standard parts in there? or is something bent?

Nothing is bent and everything in non standard. Lol.

paulyg
9th June 2014, 01:19 PM
Bit of a mystery then, I hope you can sort it out.

oddkid82
9th June 2014, 05:52 PM
I have the same problem. I have the tough dog one also and it is rubbing too. All my rods are standard ones. I have a 3 inch lift in it would that make it do it?

mudski
9th June 2014, 08:26 PM
I have the same problem. I have the tough dog one also and it is rubbing too. All my rods are standard ones. I have a 3 inch lift in it would that make it do it?

I have a 3 inch lift aswell but I have had this issue prior to the 3inch lift...

Robo
11th June 2014, 02:22 PM
Can the spring be turned around the damper.
the spring tendency to bulge to one side may be cancelled out, if rotated on damper.
any flex in damper sideways is possibly be amplified if the spring spiral isn't accepting load upon it equally "squarely on the ends of spring".

I hope its the spring only problem.
cheers

mudski
13th June 2014, 08:06 PM
Can the spring be turned around the damper.
the spring tendency to bulge to one side may be cancelled out, if rotated on damper.
any flex in damper sideways is possibly be amplified if the spring spiral isn't accepting load upon it equally "squarely on the ends of spring".

I hope its the spring only problem.
cheers

Tried that mate. No joy. This happened to the other rtc that this one replaced under warranty. So its not the spring causing this. I still believe its the mount. Still waiting for the Superior mount to arrive to see for sure.

nissannewby
13th June 2014, 08:15 PM
You may have checked this but the distances are set correctly aren't they? If the dampener is bottoming hard when turning it could be making it bow and causing the issue.

Ben-e-boy
13th June 2014, 09:09 PM
You may have checked this but the distances are set correctly aren't they? If the dampener is bottoming hard when turning it could be making it bow and causing the issue.

If the distance is out it would pull to one side like the wheels are out of allignment. Mine has been rubbing since day dot. They are heaps of crap

mudski
14th June 2014, 06:42 PM

Yeah I've checked all that and its identical to the oem drag link I still have here. I just may be the shitty rtc but I dont want to fork out the coun for another drag link and have the same issue of it leaking because the bracket is not right. If it is the rtc in the end, so be it. But just want to be sure.

mudski
14th June 2014, 06:43 PM
If the distance is out it would pull to one side like the wheels are out of allignment. Mine has been rubbing since day dot. They are heaps of crap

It doesnt pull at all to any side....

Ben-e-boy
14th June 2014, 07:11 PM
It doesnt pull at all to any side....

So it is set correctly, then your RTC like mine is a heap of crap

Bloodyaussie
14th June 2014, 07:27 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha...... they are complete shit... you know they also look like shit in there candy colours sitting under your car!!