PDA

View Full Version : winch replacement parts and recovery point Q

jay see
4th June 2014, 03:01 PM
Hello all.

Not sure if this is in the right spot of not, couldn't find the recovery section.

I've got a t max or i max winch (was already on when I brought it, which wasn't long ago).
The bottom roller has no center shaft. Going by the other rollers and how hard it was to get out, they held in pretty tight. Looks like the center shaft is held in by circular clips. Can this shaft be brought ?

Also is this a front recovery point and what is the hook for.

Sorry for the pictures tablet won't let me rotate.

Cheers all

megatexture
4th June 2014, 03:24 PM
its a tow point not recovery point but im sure others will explain more but if you pm threedogs he can sort you out with recovery point, as for the fairlead id just replace it or get a rope/fairlead package off ebay.

if you were in brisbane i think i have an old one in the shead you could have had.

jay see
4th June 2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks, I didn't know that you can buy the whole thing.

jay see
4th June 2014, 03:44 PM
Can the slotted hole be used with a rated shackle as a recovery point.

jay see
4th June 2014, 04:08 PM
if you were in brisbane i think i have an old one in the shead you could have had.

Any in Melbourne feeling the same way.

rusty_nail
4th June 2014, 04:12 PM

ask threedogs about it, or have a look in the recovery thread. he has answered this question in many shapes in great detail in there.

megatexture
4th June 2014, 04:53 PM
They are tiedown points for tow trucks etc not for recoveries.

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2014, 06:35 PM

No Not under any circumstances. it is a tie down point when it was on the boat over to Australia and if it ever goes on a tow truck.

The big Loop behind is the Nissan Recovery point though and that is what i use, Some will say that they have seen them straighten out under force, if the recovery is that great then use the winch not the snatch!!.

Threedogs sells a much better closed hoop recovery point though and if you have the cash then i recommend it. Threedogs is "Outback Recovery Ideas" That you see in plenty of shops. He is in the Vendors section here.

To the OP. the roller is called a "Roller Fairlead" and you will probably be able to buy a complete one from your local Super Cheap or Repco or Ebay. It is not part of the Winch in any way, it is a guide for the winch cable or rope.

Happy Dayz

jay see
4th June 2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks all.
See you really do learn something new everyday.
Thanks again

jay see
24th June 2014, 11:25 AM
OK I'm going to take out the fairlead (not today bloody freezing ). That's a nut and bolt holding it on, can't get to the nut behind the plate. Do I need to remove the winch?

MudRunnerTD
24th June 2014, 11:46 AM
Yes the / bolts hding the fair lead will either be the top or bottom bolts of the winch mount too. They will be square nuts and captured in the winch housing so you won't need to get a spanner on them. Just undo those but leave the other two and the winch will stay in place and the captured nuts will go nowhere. Rebt the new fair lead up using the same bolts. Are you swapping roller fair leads or going to rope and Swapping to a hawes fair lead?

jay see
24th June 2014, 12:14 PM
I'll give it another shot, but I think that the last time I had a look at it the but was spinning.
I'm just going to put the shaft in the bottom roller. Haven't used it in recovery situation yet. Would like to see how it goes, if not happy with it may look at a new winch with rope.

threedogs
24th June 2014, 12:20 PM
@ JC I have a roller fairlead here new you can have cheap brand new,
only had it on my Patrol a few months

jay see
24th June 2014, 12:28 PM
@ JC I have a roller fairlead here new you can have cheap brand new,
only had it on my Patrol a few months

Thanks TD, but I've already got a shaft ready to go in. Just need to remove it. Not going out to do it today or the rest of the week if the weather stay like this.

jay see
25th June 2014, 12:06 PM
While there's a break in the weather I went out to have another go at removing the 2 nuts for the fairlead and they are spinning, both of them. Does that mean that I now have to remove the winch and to do that I need to remove the bullbar?