PDA

View Full Version : Best light truck to purchase??

megatexture
28th May 2014, 06:43 PM
I'm in the market for a light truck and I've looked at hino, fuso, iveco and Isuzu or possibly going a dual cab with a big ass inclosed trailer to carry my work gear. My preference would be to not tow but being able to leave the trailer there with the boys and I can still run off and get things done elsewhere is tempting.

All the trucks seem to be in the same price range (42-47k) and I haven't test driven any yet but I was hoping some of you may know of any known issues any of these May have, or any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

It's just a matter of time before I get done for being overloaded or worse.

Hodge
28th May 2014, 06:56 PM
For what it's worth mate all our trucks at work are Isuzus. We have approx. 30 of them, all sizes and configurations. Due to our large workforce number, nobody gives a s*** about the vehicles, as a lot of blokes have the "It's not mine why should I look after it" mentality. Therefore the trucks get abused and put through hell daily, and yet they still keep on trucking on. Very reliable from my experience.
The only annoying thing about them is the DPF burning off feature. But you get over that ...

Family4x4
28th May 2014, 06:58 PM
I just got off the phone to my brother who works in the truck/machinery fleet business.

He recommend Isuzu out of the above brands. His reasons being re sale and cost for the life of the truck being the best value. He did say Isuzu may cost more upfront than the others.

He also said negotiate well to get the best deal, they will all want your business.

nissannewby
28th May 2014, 07:10 PM
Are you looking at trucks that you can drive on a normal car license?

megatexture
28th May 2014, 07:21 PM
I just got off the phone to my brother who works in truck/machinery fleet business.

He recommend Isuzu out of the above brands. His reasons being re sale and cost for the life of the truck being the best value. He did say Isuzu may cost more upfront than the others.

He also said negotiate well to get the best deal, they will all want your business.

That's good to hear and better yet they came in at the cheapest so far also.

megatexture
28th May 2014, 07:26 PM
Are you looking at trucks that you can drive on a normal car license?

Yes mate just a car licence light truck that ill inclose and can safely carry my load lol

nissannewby
28th May 2014, 07:28 PM
Do they really allow you to carry more load as such? I thought you could only 4.5gvm on a standard car license anyway?

Or are you surpassing your current vehicles GVM and tow capacity?

megatexture
28th May 2014, 07:32 PM
I'll be able to carry close to 2 ton

megatexture
28th May 2014, 07:41 PM
Isuzu . 4,500 gvm cab/ chassis mass is 2,035 ... 2,465 what's a tray and canopy ? Say 200-300 kg? So 2- 2,2 ton All for the same price of a ute looks like a good deal to me

Oldmate1
4th June 2014, 02:32 PM
hey mate
a mate of mine has the NLR200 and it now needs an engine rebuild after 120,000k only just out of warranty and Isuzu are not helping out at the moment
apparently its a $10,000 rebuild

megatexture
4th June 2014, 02:47 PM
hey mate
a mate of mine has the NLR200 and it now needs an engine rebuild after 120,000k only just out of warranty and Isuzu are not helping out at the moment
apparently its a $10,000 rebuild

We tend to lease for 3 yrs then give it the flick and get a new one so it'll more then likely still be under warranty when we sell it depending on km's with the exceptions of this one its so s#!t were getting out of the contract early.

mudski
4th June 2014, 03:47 PM
Working in truck spare parts for nearly 18years I saw a lot of Jap trucks in my time. I would vote Isuzu for number 1, close behind would he Hino, then Mitsubishi.