PDA

View Full Version : 2012 DX Blank Tail Lights, help please

John.H
28th May 2014, 01:46 PM
Updated from a Maverick to a Y61 DX GU 8 and found out apart from the LHS reverse light all the working lights are on the rear bumper. Has anyone tried to get them all working The LHS rear opening is tiny, How can you change the lenses let alone the reverse globe. I haven't found a manual yet but apart from getting out the tin snips or finding a clever auto electrician I am stumped.

threedogs
28th May 2014, 01:58 PM
you can buy a loom with sockets to suit the Dummy lights about $90 from memory,
Be carefull drilling holes for new sockets plastic bits will fill the lens, but can blow out most with an air hose
check the search function as its been done plenty of times

John.H
28th May 2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks mate, I have since seen a post elsewhere, he say his led lights only lasted a month from e bay (elcheapos) and updated to BA 15 lamp holders. I will try the search function for how to. John.

ova50
28th May 2014, 03:10 PM
After market lights are available, but appears that some electrical work may be required to get them working.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-GU-4-5-6-7-8-04-12-Tail-Lights-FULL-Functions-NEW-Y61-Patrol-/390537787178?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APatrol+Wagon&hash=item5aedddb72a (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FNissan-GU-4-5-6-7-8-04-12-Tail-Lights-FULL-Functions-NEW-Y61-Patrol-%2F390537787178%3Fpt%3DAU_Car_Parts_Accessories%26 amp%3Bfits%3DModel%253APatrol%2BWagon%26amp%3Bhash %3Ditem5aedddb72a)

Pic is of how to remove the passengers side. Drivers side is easier to get to the bolts.

threedogs
28th May 2014, 03:10 PM
its not that hard I used a 20mm diamond drill [cheap to drill the holes for the new sockets.
Try Patrolapart for the loom, comes with instructions, I have LED and its a great affect IMO
behind the jack are 2 x 10mm bolts to remove tail light assy,
same on the lhs you need to remove the access panel

happygu
28th May 2014, 03:45 PM
Hi John,

Undo the two 10mm Bolts as seen from the inside panel removal. Then pull lights straight back towards the rear as there are also three clips in the body, that hold plastic balls on posts on the rear of the lights, in a secure position. Pulling straight back will ensure that you don't break them.

Getting to the space and the wires is easy after that.....

You can buy aftermarket lights with the globes in them from PatrolApart, or even Ebay.

You will need to run some extra wires, as they are not all available inside the rear guards....

John.H
30th May 2014, 09:37 AM
:210:
Hi John,

Undo the two 10mm Bolts as seen from the inside panel removal. Then pull lights straight back towards the rear as there are also three clips in the body, that hold plastic balls on posts on the rear of the lights, in a secure position. Pulling straight back will ensure that you don't break them.

Getting to the space and the wires is easy after that.....

You can buy aftermarket lights with the globes in them from PatrolApart, or even Ebay.

You will need to run some extra wires, as they are not all available inside the rear guards....

:210:

bindi
30th May 2014, 09:57 AM
I got my replacement lights from carsrus.com.au and they are great.

John.H
31st May 2014, 12:40 PM
Easy once I followed the helpful posts and links, ordered pair of lights from IQUAY on eBay as existing lights have no orange indicator lenses. They cost $161.19 no delivery charge and are fully wired with globes. I will have to nut out the Chinese wiring and connectors, I am thinking of using a waterproof connector box where the trailer plug joins the bumper light wiring. Thanks again to you all for the help and info. John.

bindi
31st May 2014, 03:08 PM
Try your local Nissan Dealer mate, my local was happy to do the work for me, all done, with receipt and warranty on work for $77, not even worth me getting my hands dirty for this, and of course I am no auto lec.

TiPatrol
6th June 2014, 05:11 PM
Which type/size of wedge globes does it use for brakes, indicator and reverse? Are there LED equivalents, especially brakes as they have the twin filaments (park lights plus brakes)?

Hodge
6th June 2014, 06:15 PM
So on this subject, these from a patrolapart aren't prewired. I'm guessing they just come ready to plug in, assuming you already ran wiring to the back of lights?

http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/lights/lednissan-patrol-gu-4-led-tail-lights/

mudski
7th June 2014, 12:46 PM
So on this subject, these from a patrolapart aren't prewired. I'm guessing they just come ready to plug in, assuming you already ran wiring to the back of lights?

http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/lights/lednissan-patrol-gu-4-led-tail-lights/

Yes they will be. All you need to do is run the appropriate wires and your set. Same as the ones I am waiting for, plus the smoke version too.

threedogs
7th June 2014, 01:25 PM
Which type/size of wedge globes does it use for brakes, indicator and reverse? Are there LED equivalents, especially brakes as they have the twin filaments (park lights plus brakes)?

Yes there are LED replacements my whole car is LED except the front OE indicators as I couldn't find a globe bright enough for daytime conditions.
Nightime it's easy to see, put white LED behind red and amber lens', my reverse have 120 smd led per globe x 4 so happy in the bush reversing

Hodge
7th June 2014, 01:28 PM
Yes they will be. All you need to do is run the appropriate wires and your set. Same as the ones I am waiting for, plus the smoke version too.

Cheers mate. As I mentioned in your vendor thread, put me down for a set.

mudski
8th June 2014, 03:53 PM
Cheers mate. As I mentioned in your vendor thread, put me down for a set.
Order is held back now. I am getting GQ LED rear lights made so I want to wait and get the entire lot together.

John.H
8th June 2014, 11:25 PM
Followed your link, ordered those lights, great fit, but I got a mobile electrician to clean up the trailer plug wiring and solder the loom and connectors in, very happy with his work. I added 3ft of wires from my connectors so I can change and check globes on the rear mat. I now have 5 Tail/Stop lights, 4Turn indicators and 2 Reverse lights. I will have to be careful not to leave my lights on with my motor off. Thanks again for all the help and choices from all. John.

TiPatrol
9th June 2014, 07:44 PM

Those are really nice lights, love the LED brake but don't like the amber. I think I'll just keep the dummy lights and use the reverse slot for indicators and get separate slim type reverse LED fittings for under the bar.

TiPatrol
9th June 2014, 07:46 PM
Yes there are LED replacements my whole car is LED except the front OE indicators as I couldn't find a globe bright enough for daytime conditions.
Nightime it's easy to see, put white LED behind red and amber lens', my reverse have 120 smd led per globe x 4 so happy in the bush reversing

Excellent! Thanks mate. Can't wait to replace them all :)

TiPatrol
21st June 2014, 10:19 PM

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45420&d=1375484718

Hi threedogs,

Just worked on my dummy lights and came upon a stumbling block. The park and brake lights I installed are the same as the ones you have in the pic, the 2 on the right (or bottom). I fitted them into T20 lampholders and when tested with 12V before fitting them all in, park wire illuminated them on one pin and the brake wire illuminated them fully via the opposing pin, the other 2 pins are ground. The thing is, when I installed them, park lights won't turn on, you can barely see them glowing. Brake lights work fine though. I wired the middle white lenses as blinkers and they work fine but when I turn on the hazards together with park lights, then the park lights also flash as park lights and not full intensity as brake lights, which is the way I'd like them to be when I turn on the park lights. I don't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) ever came across this issue and know how to solve this dual intensity issue?