PDA

View Full Version : GQ Patrol Transfer Case Rear Output Seal Leaking

colinlamos
27th May 2014, 08:26 PM
Set off from Cairns last week heading for the Kimberley and day 3 I noticed oil specks on the back of the ute. Closer inspection revealed that the rear output seal on the transfer case has developed a leak. I was in Mt Isa at the time couldn't get a replacement seal so rang Repco in Katherine and they have order one in - it arrives tomorrow.

I checked the oil level in the transfer case and it was ok (a little oil goes a long way with a leak) so bought a bottle of transmission oilk and have checked the level each morning. So far have add about 30ml.

My question is this - I don't really want to spend another night in Katherine so was planning on heading to Kununurra then on to Broome with w side trip into the Bungle Bungle. If the leak gets worse then I'll have a few days in Broome to do the repair.

I expect that the drive into the Bungle Bungle will be rough, slow and involve 4x4 but the rest of the run to Broome should be pretty much plain sailing so my question is am I running a risk of damaging the drive train if the leak does get worse?

thanks in advance...Colin

mudski
28th May 2014, 02:10 PM
I would say if the leak does get worse and you are losing a lot of oil then yes you are running a risk. If it were me, I would make sure I have extra oil and take the risk. You will have the seal with you, as long as you have the tools to do the repair, take the risk but keep checking it every 100k's or so. But I can't see how bad it is now so its hard to really say...

Col.T
28th May 2014, 07:11 PM
G'day Col,
reckon Muddy's right.
The Bungles aren't really bad. Mainly shitty tracks best taken a bit slow but 4WD wasn't really essential, at least about 3 years ago.
Above all, as he says, take plenty of oil and check regularly
All the best,
Col

colinlamos
29th May 2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Toll screwed up the delivery so I'm only picking up the seal this morning. Found a good mechanic in Kununurra so have decided to have the seal replaced on Friday morning. Hopefully be finished with enough time to get down to Spring creek for an overnighter before heading into the Bungle Bungle.

Youadvise very much appreciated...Col