PDA

View Full Version : Need how to guide to replace GQ Front Wheel Bearings

red1234
27th May 2014, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

Im a new forum member and Patrol owner. My 1990 GQ TD42 front wheel bearings need attention and Im keen to learn to replace them myself. Can anyone post a link to a how to guide or video with step by step instructions on replacing the front wheel bearings? Information I need is:

- tools required (including any tools I may have to make/weld)
- parts (thinking of just ordering two OEM wheel bearing kits from Patrolapart)
- step by step process involved
- things to look out for/be mindful of

Ive tried searching but the information Ive found doesnt seem too comprehensive, with bits of info scattered across multiple posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Bloodyaussie
27th May 2014, 01:32 PM
Mate it is not hard you just need to lay everything out in the order in which it goes.. you need CV grease plus High temp bearing grease.

The axle seal is the hard one to get out and care is needed putting it back in... while doing this job will you be doing swivel hub bearings?

You will also need diff oil... I bought a seal driver kit with all the main sizes covered and this has helped heaps when doing a job like this.

While you have this apart ask yourself if the discs need attention as if it does not far down the track you will save yourself big dollars doing it now.

When putting the axles back in be careful not to rest the axle on the seal as to damage it... not much else I can think of as it is not hard just very messy and I have found taking my time cleaning everything as I pull it apart and then laying it out in order is far better than pulling everything apart then cleaning (chance to mess up the order).

You will need a million rags and brake cleaner also !!!!!! I have done this job 5 times and dredd doing it as it is so messy...

Crate
27th May 2014, 01:32 PM
Ok lets see how close I can get to a step by step from memory!

1. Jack up front end and put on jackstands
2. Remove wheelnuts and wheel
3. Remove Auto/manual locking hub
4. With circlip pliars (or screwdriver) remove circlip from end of CV
5. With multi grips take off locking hub internals from CV
6. With multi grips remove egg ring from around CV
7. Undo caliper bolts on the back of the swivel hub and sit caliper on top of swivel hub
8. Now you need to give it a good wipe inside and you will see the 54mm wheel bearing nut, there is a locking plate that will be bent over the nut, use a screwdriver/punch to flatten that out and undo nut.
9. Take of the locking plate (one of those pickup magnets usually helps)
10. Remove the other 54mm wheel bearing nut
11. Now the whole wheel bearing hub/disc will come off

12. The bearing races are pressed inside, the bearings themselves will need the rear seal to be removed to come out
13. Take it all out and punch out the bearing races with a punch and hammer

Reassembly is the reverse.
The rear hub seal and bearings will be in the kit from patrolapart, I would suggest replacing the 54mm gq locknut with the GU system:

http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/hub-nut-kits-sockets/nissan-patrol-genuine-hub-nut-kit/

Other notes, lots of rags, degreaser and new grease are also required.

Only specialty tool is a 54mm hub socket, otherwise standard set of screwdrivers, sockets, spanners, punches and hammer etc will suffice

Anyone got anything else to add?

red1234
27th May 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, great info. Much appreciated.

GQ TANK
27th May 2014, 09:44 PM
I use toilet paper to clean up - roll per side and a shopping back to throw the used bits in.